The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Body Slam vs Hyper Beam

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body Slam vs Hyper Beam
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 10-01-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most people think that two body slams are more powerful than one hyper beam, but I think I found out otherwise. I used a level 60 Poliwhirl with body slam and hyper beam against Loriellies Dewgong. When I attacked with hyper beam, it took off half of the life bar. Dewgong then used rest and I tried body slam 2 times and it left about a third. I figured then that body slam was equal damage instead of better, but then I attacked again and Dewgong still had a sliver left! It rested again so I tried hyper beam, it took off half again and then recharged, and then it took off another half and killed dewgong! Of course this might have been a fluke, I need to test it again to make sure. But if it is proven, then everyone is making a big mistake!

------------------
These humans care nothing for me...
Is that my purpose? Am I nothing more than a slave!? A laboratory specimen!?
THIS CANNOT BE MY DESTINY!!

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Robochu82
Farting Nudist
Member # 871

Rate Member
posted 10-01-2000 05:06 PM      Profile for Robochu82   Email Robochu82   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used a level 60 Poliwhirl with body slam and hyper beam against Loriellies Dewgong. When I attacked with hyper beam, it took off half of the life bar.So 1 Hyper Beam takes off about 50% of its HP Dewgong then used rest and I tried body slam 2 times and it left about a third.So 2 Body Slams took off about 66% of its HP I figured then that body slam was equal damage instead of better, but then I attacked again and Dewgong still had a sliver left!then the 2 Body Slams took off a little less than 66% of its HP It rested again so I tried hyper beam, it took off half again and then recharged, and then it took off another half and killed dewgong!So the 1 Hyper Beam took off exactly or a little more than 50% of its HP Of course this might have been a fluke, I need to test it again to make sure. But if it is proven, then everyone is making a big mistake!

What mistake? That 2 Body Slams are more powerful than 1 Hyper Beam? From what I can see, you just proved it.
Body Slam->85 base power x 2 = 170 base power
Hyper Beam->150 base power

If I made a mistake, please make your posts clearer. I could barely understand what you were trying to say.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Robochu82 (edited 10-01-2000).]

From: Florissant, MO USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 10-01-2000 05:54 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me fail english? That's onpossible! But seriously, basically what I'm trying to say is that Hyper Beam does more damage over 3 turns than Body Slam.

------------------

Whoomp
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 140

Rate Member
posted 10-01-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Whoomp     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In three turns, hyperbeam WILL do more damage than body slam... unfortunetly, that's not a great comparison.

If your going to consider hyperbeams full duration (1 hyperbeam = 2 turns) you should probably be comparing 2 hyperbeams to 4 bodyslams.

Of course, in R/B/Y, hyperbeam benefits from not needing to recharge if the pokemon it hits gets KO'ed by it, thus making hyperbeam more beneficial in certain cases vrs bodyslam. However, in Stadium and G/S, you'll always suffer having to recharge regardless of missing or KO'ing your opponents pokemon.

------------------

DarkPersian
Farting Nudist
Member # 898

Member Rated:
posted 10-01-2000 06:11 PM      Profile for DarkPersian   Author's Homepage   Email DarkPersian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hyper Beam may do more damage in three turns than Body Slam but that's not the point you were attacking. Your own post still shows that two Body Slams are better than one Hyper Beam. Going beyond two turns doesn't matter much because the original point is that it might be a better idea to just Body Slam rather than Hyper Beam and lose a turn.

------------------
Undefeated in 6 vs 6 battles!

Training Project:

41/81 Final Form Pokemon Trained to Level 100
- Full Stat Exp!
- No GameShark!!

KingZapdos
Farting Nudist
Member # 672

Rate Member
posted 10-01-2000 06:54 PM      Profile for KingZapdos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Poliwirl can't learn Hyper Beam. Now, Poliwraith, that's another story...

------------------

From: As if I'd tell you... | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Quetzalcoatl
Farting Nudist
Member # 411

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2000 04:08 PM      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It depends on the situation. Body Slam works well as an attack, but hyper beam is more like a finisher/last resort attack.

Let's say that your Tauros is on its last sliver of HP and needs to do some serious Damge in one turn. The end result will be the same no matter what attack you use; Tauros will faint after the enemy attacks.

You have two attacks that still have PP:

Body Slam and Hyperbeam

Hyperbeam is more preferable because it is a more concentrated attack in one turn than Body slam. Plus you're not going to see the light of day, anyways after attacking.

To sum it up, hyperbeam is "A poor man's explosion." - said by a well-known KOFFING!

------------------
"Veren zol fun dir a blinza."

[This message has been edited by Quetzalcoatl (edited 10-02-2000).]

From: WTF Capital of U.S of A | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Iyse
Farting Nudist
Member # 149

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2000 04:26 PM      Profile for Iyse   Email Iyse   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh jeez!

Hyperbeam:
5PP
Pow 150
Acc 89.5

That's over two turns.

Body Slam:
15PP
Pow 85
Acc 99.6

That's over one turn. Over two:

Pow 170
Acc 99.6

If you miss with Hyper Beam, which is more possible than missing with Body Slam, you lose two turns, not one.

Hyper Beam has only 5PP, and even still if you screw about with the fact that 5PP is stretched over 10 turns, it still only equalises to 10PP, which again, is lower than Body Slam's 15PP.

Apart from alllll that, Body Slam also has a 30% chance of paralysing, which in istelf, is lovely! =D

------------------
Slowbro used Amnesia
Slowbro used Amnesia
Slowbro used Amnesia
Slowbro used Surf Critical Hit

From: Brussels, Belgium | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 10-02-2000 06:22 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoops! I meant poliwrath! Clumsey me... Anyway, obviously hyper beam isn't the choice of champions here, but there in the case I mentioned Dewgong survived 4 *turns* of body slaming and 3 *turns* of hyper beaming, which in some cases might mean the difference between winning or fainting. But I bet this case would be exceedingly rare, and since Body Slam might paralyze too, it might actually steal a turn from the opponent. So much for that.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 10-02-2000 10:23 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokegod: ...in the case I mentioned Dewgong survived 4 *turns* of body slaming and 3 *turns* of hyper beaming, which in some cases might mean the difference between winning or fainting. But I bet this case would be exceedingly rare...

It's not that rare, it's the same case Q was talking about.

Hyper Beam is either a finisher or an I'm-about-to-die move. It's not worth using otherwise, particularly when you consider that it might miss...

Anyway, even more effective than 2 Hyper Beams in your example would be 2 Body Slams and a Hyper Beam finisher.

------------------
"If it's just a lull, why am I bored right out of my skull?"
- The Replacements

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 10-03-2000 12:02 AM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iyse:
If you miss with Hyper Beam, which is more possible than missing with Body Slam, you lose two turns, not one.

I thought you only recharge if you hit...

*loads the Hyper Beam page*

"If the attack misses, breaks a Substitute, or faints the victim, your Pokémon does not need to recharge." --RBY

"A turn is always required to recharge, unless it's the final attack of the match" --Stadium

I was right about RBY...
-Givera

------------------
"Only sickos like sex!" --Anthrax
"Hmmm, well I guess I'm the adult here, so I have to say something like... just say no to drugs" --Mr. K

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 10-07-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems you have neglected the simple concept of Damage deviation values. Unless pre-calculated like Seismic Toss, Body Slam won't always do the same amount of damage, and that can be why it survived.

Oh, and Pokegod... picking Dub Mewtwo's speech as a signature? Ick. Dubbed Mewtwo is a disgrace to Pokemon fandom...

------------------
Gundam Wing/Thundercats: WHAT'S THAT?!? Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight. I'm going to fight it. Thunder...thunder...Thundercats...(buster rifle to the head).

AIM: Nobie20

[This message has been edited by SDShamshel (edited 10-07-2000).]

salvester2
Farting Nudist
Member # 199

Rate Member
posted 10-08-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for salvester2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How did a poliwhirl get Hyper Beam that is what me is wondering

------------------

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 10-08-2000 05:28 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pokegod:
Whoops! I meant poliwrath! Clumsey me...

Make sure you read all the posts before posting.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.