The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Blasted Nintendo Power

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blasted Nintendo Power
Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 12:12 AM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please maybe someone can help my brother Chris and me settle a disagreement caused by the lastest issue of Nintendo power from the pokechat section:

Q: Will Pokemon Gold and Silver be compatible with my Pokemon from Red, Yellow, and Blue

A: Yes, you will be able to trade any of the original 151 Pokemon between and Pokemon Red, blue, and yellow and Pokemon Gold and Silver. Of course you will not be able to trade Pokemon that appear only in Gold and Silver over to Pokemon Red Blue and yellow.

Ok I thought I understood from Azure that pokemon we trade from the RBY into the gold and silver cannot be traded back into the RBY because the hex value changes, but the way NP worded the question it sounds like any of the original 151 pokemon can be traded between the RBY and Gold and Silver. Chris believes that's what Nintendo means, but I trust you guys on Azure...which is it? Help!

------------------
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: when you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

From: Kansas (U.S.) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mattsaur
Farting Nudist
Member # 478

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 12:49 AM      Profile for Mattsaur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only way we can settle this dispute is to wait till the game comes out period.

------------------
The unevoled Bulbasaur that Liberated from http://www.pokemasters.com that is starting to evolve

Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 12:53 AM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep you're right. I guess it's always possible they could have changed the American version around a bit as well.

------------------
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

Rei2
Farting Nudist
Member # 702

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 02:24 AM      Profile for Rei2   Email Rei2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been wandering if Gold or Silver will be capable with Pokemon Stadium. That would be really helpful, but I doubt it.
Oh, and I'm talking about playing pokemon Gold and Silver in the GB tower.

------------------
--
...the loner...

From: Mt. Dora, Florida | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 06:06 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can trade the original 151 Pokemon from G/S to R/B/Y. The proposition that you couldn't was purely theoretical, and there's no technical reason why it isn't possible. As cfalcon pointed out in that thread, how could it be a "trade" if R/B/Y wasn't getting a Pokemon back?

I don't see why they'd change it for the English version either. According to the latest EGM, the work on English Metallics is "pretty much a straight text translation" (moreso than Chromatics, where they had to fix unstable code).

------------------
"You can't catch him. You can't train him. He's no Pocket Monster!"
-- Godzilla 2000 commercial

Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 01:28 PM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep I've always thought it was possible to trade the original 151 pokemon from the Gold and Silver to the RBY, BUT I thought once you transferred a pokemon to the Gold and Silver you would be unable to transfer it back to the RBY. As far as we know, with the Japanese versions, is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

------------------

Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 02:55 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can't trade any G/S pokemon back to RBY for the simple fact that there are about 100 new moves that would end up all screwy in RBY, and since the oriinal 151 learn new moves, you cant trade them back.

------------------
Anthrax the Grey
And it's just a Box of Rain, or a ribbon for your hair. Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there.

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokecapn
Farting Nudist
Member # 491

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 02:59 PM      Profile for Pokecapn   Author's Homepage   Email Pokecapn   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can trade a pokemon back to R/B/Y under the following three conditions.

1.It is NOT a pokemon found only in Gold and Silver.
2.It does NOT have moves found only in Gold and Silver.
3.It does NOT have an item attached to it.

Trading back with any of those would cause evil screwy conditions that we don't like.

------------------
Yes, I am the Pokecapn from AGNP. So stop asking!

Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 05:38 PM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rei2:
I've been wandering if Gold or Silver will be capable with Pokemon Stadium. That would be really helpful, but I doubt it.
Oh, and I'm talking about playing pokemon Gold and Silver in the GB tower.

Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen. Only RBY can be played in the GB Tower.

Thanx Capn, that's really clarifies things! I still think Nintendo Power worded the answer poorly.

------------------

Pokecapn
Farting Nudist
Member # 491

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Pokecapn   Author's Homepage   Email Pokecapn   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Common Sense = Ownz.

------------------

maagisk
Farting Nudist
Member # 536

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for maagisk   Author's Homepage   Email maagisk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well what if you trade a starmie over to G/S and teach it confuse ray? it cant learn it in R/B/Y, but it is a move to learn in R/B/Y.

------------------
The Starball catches the ultimate pokemon a.k.a. Sqirtle.

-Maagisk

From: Dramen, Norway | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokecapn
Farting Nudist
Member # 491

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 10:06 PM      Profile for Pokecapn   Author's Homepage   Email Pokecapn   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It should work, because the old moves have the same hex values or there's some sort of move converting chart.

------------------

Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 10:40 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starshelle:
Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen. Only RBY can be played in the GB Tower.

Wait until Pokesta G/S.

------------------

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 08-05-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, that seems all well and good. Let me ask you this, if you DO try and trade a Pokémon that appears in RBGY to RBGY, but it has an item attached or a move that doesn't exist in RBGY, does the SG game remove the item and forget the move? Also, I heard that trade evolutions are affected in such a way that SOME Pokémon when traded back to RBGY will de-evolve or evolve into a Pokémon that IS in RBGY.

Also, I am pretty sure that you can trade Pokémon with RBGY moves they can't learn IN RBGY back to RBGY (sick of that acronym yet?) without any trouble, just like Amnesia Psyduck or Surfing Pikachu to RBG).

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

[This message has been edited by Dark Jaguar (edited 08-05-2000).]

Rei2
Farting Nudist
Member # 702

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2000 05:12 AM      Profile for Rei2   Email Rei2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, does anyone know if you can put the G/S pokemon in the stadium boxes?

------------------
--
...the loner...

From: Mt. Dora, Florida | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokecapn
Farting Nudist
Member # 491

Rate Member
posted 08-06-2000 08:42 AM      Profile for Pokecapn   Author's Homepage   Email Pokecapn   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rei2:
Well, does anyone know if you can put the G/S pokemon in the stadium boxes?

Not the stadium in the states. You would need to wait for Pokemon Stadium 2.

------------------

ExperiencedNewbie
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 769

Rate Member
posted 08-06-2000 08:55 PM      Profile for ExperiencedNewbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh...I downloaded the ROM, and there is now a separate trading booth for G/S to R/B/Y. It's a one way trade, it goes from RBY to GS. I dont' think you will be able to transfer from GS back to RBY even if it has no item and has no new moves, since I don't think they are two-way compatible :-)

ExpNewbie

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-06-2000 09:00 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read on (I think) Meowth346's page that you could a G/S cartridge into the R/B/Y Stadium, and be able to use any of the 151 original Pokemon that were on it. Can someone confirm this?

If you try to enter the G/S "Time Machine" to trade back to R/B/Y, and there's any Pokemon that you're carrying that violate one of the three restrictions that Pokecapn stated, it just won't let you in. (There's a guy in the city with the Dragon Gym who will delete moves, including HMs.)

Oh, and it is possible to trade a Pokemon with a move that it didn't learn in R/B/Y (eg. Starmie with Confuse Ray). Whether it's legal/ethical to use them like that is open to debate...

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 03:47 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*sigh* ExperiencedNewbie, please don't state guesses as proof. And if you were using No$GMB, there's no way you can trade between two different game versions anyway.

------------------

Dante
Farting Nudist
Member # 746

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 10:56 AM      Profile for Dante   Author's Homepage   Email Dante   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard the same as Pokecapn said. It will just say trade not allowed if you have a GS move etc.
Since you can trade RBY pokemon to GS won't that mean they will recive a sex. How does that work coz I don't want my hard man Golem to end up being a lass etc...
Guess you don't have a choice and I'll rename her from Rokku to Pebbles
Anyone know the fastest way of getting a Pichu on GS?

------------------
"Pinkle, squirmy, plip plap plop!" - Rimmer

From: UK, universe 10812 version 2 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 07:26 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
I heard the same as Pokecapn said. It will just say trade not allowed if you have a GS move etc.
Since you can trade RBY pokemon to GS won't that mean they will recive a sex. How does that work coz I don't want my hard man Golem to end up being a lass etc...
Guess you don't have a choice and I'll rename her from Rokku to Pebbles
Anyone know the fastest way of getting a Pichu on GS?

-_-... that's all I have to say...

From what has been gathered around AH - A pokemon can be traded back to RBY from GS if it is a pokemon that is found in RBY (1 - 151, not MissingNo. or 'm - I'm not sure about 'm though...) and has a move that can be learned in RBY - this does not include the "TM" moves (I.E. TM01 not Mega Punch - Forget I said this if you don't understand...) and finally it must not have an item...
The first one can be remedied through two methods - The first is to evolve it into a pokemon that can be traded over (Pichu -> Pikachu) the second use gameshark to change the type completely (Lugia -> Mewtwo)
The other two conditions are much easier to bypass - Delete restricted moves and remove the items...

You cann't play G/S in RBY GB Tower because the ROM itself is stored in the N64 Cartridge... I *DOUBT* you can put G/S pokemon (1-151 or 152+) in a box because of the different data structure...

I'm getting SICK of the newbies here who won't read about determining gender!! I refuse to post ANY more about it and I implore any one who DOES understand to ignore them until they learn to read the other posts - I had to...

A final note - As far as i can tell from TeamPA's site you can send G/S pokemon FROM RBY TO G/S... MissingNo's of varying numbers correspond to new G/S pokemon... Also new moves can be sent over - I.E. The "TM" moves will become actual moves in G/S...
-Givera

------------------
"I expect to see [Darryn] and Givera made Azurians when GS is released in English" --Ancient-Egyptian Cat-Gonk
"My favorite Pokemon is Mewtwo becuase he's the strongest Pokemon. My favorite level is 16 because that's when some Pokemon evolve!" --Aaron R.
"My favorite level is 100, cause that's when pokemon kill level 16 pokemon!" --AgentM2

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 12:39 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In order to trade between G/S and R/B/Y, these conditions must be true:

(1) All monsters must be original 1-151 monsters.
(2) All moves must exist in R/B/Y

There may be special cases that exist for sharked ones (maybe you can't trade certain MissingNO.s, or any at all), but that will almost certainly be the algorithm used.

Red, Blue, and Yellow are *built* to recieve a monster through the link cable. Remember, they think they are trading with another Red, Blue, or (in the case of Yellow) Yellow game pak, they have no idea Gold and Silver exist!

If it works any differently in the US version, I will be quite shocked.

Thank you to everyone who also posted the correct information: you know who you are.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Here in America, we capitalize Nouns"

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Prof. Dasugi
Farting Nudist
Member # 488

Rate Member
posted 08-09-2000 02:41 PM      Profile for Prof. Dasugi   Email Prof. Dasugi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While being able to get extra moves for RBY through breeding, then trading back, is of little use to you Americans, it should be much more useful for Europeans, where G/S won't enter common circulation until next year.... I am assuming that the American and Britich versions of G/S will be identical, like RBY?

------------------
Prof. Dasugi
Huh? Eevee is evolving?
Eevee evolved into Eon!

What's an Eon?

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 09:58 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boy would it suck if you can't trade you're pokemon back. You can trade pokemon in the japanese versions, for the simple fact that the Time Capsule exists

------------------
"Things happen, people die"

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pokeshark
Farting Nudist
Member # 590

Member Rated:
posted 08-21-2000 01:49 PM      Profile for Pokeshark     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!! HOW MANY TIMES WILL THIS BE ASKED!!!!!!!! POKEMON CAN BE TRADED BACK AS LONG AS THEY ARE #1-151, HAVE NO NEW MOVES AND HAVE NO ITEMS ATTACHED!! PERIOD!!! I HAVE A FRIEND IN JAPAN WHO CONFIRMED THIS AND IT WILL NOT CHANGE!!!! (EVEN NINTENDO POWER CONFIRMED IT! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SUSCRIBES?!?!)well sorry about the caps but this is rediculous! this should be the last post!

------------------
Author of the ULTIMATE gameshark FAQ. Read it for your self at http://www.gameshark.n3.net OR http://www.poke.n3.net Happy Sharking!

From: Happy Fuck Land | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 08-21-2000 05:10 PM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SHEESH Pokeshark clam down. YOU were the first one to post on this after TWENTY TWO DAYS!!! Why don't you write a letter to Nintendo Power instead, complaining about them not wording things more clearly?

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.