The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Final word on attached items?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Final word on attached items?
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-22-2000 12:15 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can someone of repute confirm for me exactly how attached items work in link battles?

I know that they do not double the STAB bonus, as originally thought. I used No$GMB to pit two Poliwraths against each other, one with Mystic Drop and one without, and their Surfs did the same amount of damage.

Then I wanted to test the statement that it they give the STAB to those that ordinarily wouldn't have it, so I tried fighting two identical Sandslashes, except that one had Pink Ribbon (supposed to boost Normal attacks) and one had Teacher's Claw (always goes first on the initial turn). Both used the same attack on the same turn (either Swift or Slash). The one with Teacher's Claw almost always went first on the first turn (note the "almost"), but there was no significant difference in the amount of damage dealt. I then tried matching the Teacher's Claw Sandslash (Speed 62) with a faster opponent (Oodairu, Speed 74). Although it never went first on the initial turn, I did see the Sandslash go first on a later turn.

Finally, I tried pitting two identical Oodairu's against each other, one with Pink Ribbon. Again, there was no significant difference in the damage dealt.

So, I'm stumped. Does anyone know for sure what effect items have in link battles?

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-22-2000 12:47 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update: I tried using the items in wild battles. Pink Ribbon didn't affect Sandslash's Swift, and the Grass STAB item (I forget its name) didn't alter Weepinbell's damage from Vine Whip.

I really don't see how the ROM and/or translation patch could remove the effect of attached items, but I guess anything's possible...

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.