The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Breeding/Genders And Attack DV Values.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breeding/Genders And Attack DV Values.
Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-11-2000 06:28 AM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, I was thinking...

I had heard that if two Species breed, then the resulting PKMN will be the same type as the Female. (I.E, a Female Charizard and a Cyndaquil... Baby Charmander.)

I had also heard that the DV/Points for the child is baised on Sex.

If it's Female, it's baised on the Male.
If it's Male, it's baised on the Female.

Of course, this lead to a thought:
If that is so, then neither could have perfect attack DV.

I'm sure you understand, right?
If I'm wrong, clear me up, if not, let's talk about this.

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------
"What the heck evil was wracked on my vehicle?" --- Netbrian RPing as Jiino.

Mattsaur
Farting Nudist
Member # 478

Rate Member
posted 07-11-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Mattsaur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vandergant:
Of course, this lead to a thought:
If that is so, then neither could have perfect attack DV.

<-----Vandergant----->

The chance of getting the perfect DV is the same as a wild pokemon.
I am not 1000000000% sure but I am pretty sure

------------------
The unevoled Bulbasaur that Liberated from http://www.pokemasters.com that is starting to evolve

Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-11-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That woulden't make sence in comparison to the rest:

Females can't have perfect DVS for attack.

If the Baby Male has stats dependant on the Female, that seems to skew the chances of getting somthing Perfect.

If the child is Female, read above...

Of course, the fact that the stats of the child in general was baised on some other brillant page Netbrian picked up... They may be incorrect, however, which is why I'm asking.

And how's my Sig?

<------Vandergant----->

------------------

[This message has been edited by Vandergant (edited 07-11-2000).]

Aron Figaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 461

Rate Member
posted 07-13-2000 01:30 PM      Profile for Aron Figaro   Email Aron Figaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is incorrect, because stats are an average when bred. Bred Pokemon can have some VERY strange traits, like females with max attack and stuff. (heck, I even got a female Eevee with near-max attack, not from breeding)

------------------
- In the name of Mercury, I fight for Love and Justice!
- If this is some cosmic joke I do not see what is so amusing! -Luna

From: Joeville, Nunavut, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 01:33 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good. My Chance to cause major problems.

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------

Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 01:34 PM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the only page I sent you with that info was "Pokemon Forever", and from what I can tell, they're averaged.

So anyone with a max stat Ditto is pretty much going to rock G/S... I guess I'd better start catching them again.

And I'm not sure what to say on your sig.

------------------

From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 02:11 PM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And these "major problems" would be? Female Sandslashes with max attack? =P

------------------

Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes. Female SandSlashes with Max Attack.

I will give her the Ultra Rare Kareoke item, giving her Sing, and then give her Sword Dance, and RockSlide, and then the nice EarthQuake to Shatter people's worlds.

And I will name the SandSlash (Crystal Q.)
Just Kidding (especaily on the Kareoke. =P)

And you should have somthing to say. It's basicaly your quote.

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------

Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh. I was expecting female Curbats with max attack that know Shadow Ball, Softboiled, Confuse Ray, and Lucky Light. =P

------------------

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bred Pokemon can have some VERY strange traits,like females with max attack and stuff.

That is impossible, since gender is based solely on the attack gene. At most, you could have a max-Attack female at birth until you deposited and withdrew it from the computer, at which point it would become male.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-13-2000 09:21 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If a monster has a male female cutoff value of, say, 8 (8 and above male), then you simply can't have one that breaks this rule, as White Cat says. Even if the game keeps track of this monster specially, then it's sex would change if you traded it to R/B/Y and back.

I'm no expert on breeding, but I seem to recall that "based on" stats don't mean that they are straight out copied: I seem to recall that it would adjust it or something (Meowth could answer this question, as he has before). Basically, let's assume you have a male and a female, with attack genes of 15 and 7, respectively. If my understanding was correct, the male offspring of this couple would have a chance at having a gene of 15 (it is random within a range I'm not certain of, but it wouldn't be male if the gene value wasn't eight or more in this example), and the female offspring would have a chance of having a gene of 7 (the highest they get in this example). Other genes, if maxed on both, could also be maxed on the offspring.

Again, Meowth has a better post on this somewhere on this site... if you search for this kind of thing, you are likely to find it, methinks.

Short answer: You can get max gene monsters through breeding. I don't think it's all that much easier, if any easier at all.

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-14-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So I was right to begin with.

Thanks for clearing things up, CF!

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------

Theophlosion
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 678

Rate Member
posted 07-14-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for Theophlosion     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, if I read Meowth346's Breeding Guide correctly, the probability of getting Max DV Pokemon -is- higher when breeding, because of the formula it uses for the child's stats. If I may quote from his page:

-----

Egg's Individual Value A = ( X and F0 ) + (parents's Individual Value A and 0F )

Egg's Individual Value B = ( Y and F8 ) + (parents's Individual Value B and 07 )

Attack and Defense are Individual Value A, and Speed and Defense are Individual Value B. X and Y are random values.

From in between each ( and ), the lower number of the two is chosen. The chosen numbers are added together, and that becomes the baby's Individual Values.

(Information from Pokemon Forever GS, Copyright 2000 Meowth346, used without permission - sorry...)

-----

In other words, as long as (parent's A) >= 0F and (parent's B) >= 07, which has probability 60009/65535, or which can be ensured beforehand by careful selection of parents (attack and speed DVs not zero, special DV 8 or more)...

Then the child will have maximum stats if X >= F0 (probability 1/16) and if Y >= F8 (probability 1/32).

Thus, with breeding, the probability or getting a perfect DV Pokemon would be a mere 60009/33554432, or approximately 0.179%... and it could be raised to 1/512, or 0.195%, by careful selection of parents, as described above.

This may not sound too amazing, but then, when you consider that the probability of catching such a Pokemon in the wild is 1/65535, or 0.00152%, it becomes a little better.

Unfortunately, there is of course a catch. Breeding Pokemon takes far longer than catching them in the wild, and even with perfectly selected parents, you can expect to have to breed 355 babies before you've achieved so much as a one in two chance of having one with a perfect set of DVs.

All is, however, not lost; if you're content to settle with a mere maximised Speed and Special, the probability climbs to 1/32, and a mere 21 Pokebabies would produce an "evens" chance. And for max Attack/Defence? 11 children to reach the same 1/2 chance.

---

All of this is, of course, as I said, based on Meowth346's research; all I've done is run the numbers on the trusty ol' TI-89. And, I should probably add that I still don't really understand the whole "female children's stats depend on the father's genes" bit, since I had thought determination of sex would come -after- determination of stats... but thankfully, that shouldn't affect any of the analysis above. If anyone (Meowth?) could clarify me on that last point, I'd be grateful....

And finally, I suppose I should add, hello! Delighted to be here, and so forth... and thanks due to Karma Charmeleon (if I recall the name correctly) for (albeit entirely unknowingly) directing me to this, the type of Pokemon website that I knew must exist somewhere, heh....

Looking forward to working with you all....

------------------
<*> Theo (aka tjm, aka Thomas)

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Theophlosion
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 678

Rate Member
posted 07-15-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Theophlosion     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Darryn: Don't worry, heh; you don't know me. But it was thanks to the links in your .sig, in the discussions of that online game at Bulbagarden, that I found Azure Heights, and all of the similar sites that are interested in how Pokemon actually works. I just thought I should offer you a note of thanks for that, since I had been looking for this kind of thing for quite a while....

Of course, being in the same city, it's not totally impossible that we do know each other anyway, heh.... *shakes* Thomas Morley, presently habiting in Dulwich, pleased to meet you....

------------------
<*> Theo (aka tjm, aka Thomas)

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
self proclaimed masta
Farting Nudist
Member # 685

Rate Member
posted 07-24-2000 03:47 PM      Profile for self proclaimed masta   Email self proclaimed masta   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You live in Dulwich, Tom. I live in Lewisham (not that far). If you ever want a face to face battle, I'm up for that!
Reply soon.

------------------
ICQ= 82360949
Just in case someone wants to be humiliated by the S.P. masta in PBS
AIM:thespmasta

Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-24-2000 07:19 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goodness....this post is still up? I thought It'd die when I got sick of posting and went off and had become too lazy to reply (and correct myself that I had ment only about the Females, Sorry, guys....)

Anyhoo..

This is interesting...

...I need a Link Cable.

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------
"What Pokémon type is INTERNETEXPLODER? I wanna do some Super-Effective damage here." --- Hirozaki on InternetExplorer (And my Complaint of it)

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-24-2000 11:32 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe I phrased it badly. What you have quoted so well is what I recall from whenever I first saw it: basically, it does make it a lot easier to get max stats *if you start with them*.

I had forgotten how stacked the odds are in your favor, however, when you start with max stats.

Thanks for posting those: that pretty much answered all the questions, I think

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 07-25-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Props to Theophlosion for being the first to ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT HE'S WRITING!!

Anyways - If you look at the formula the attack gene is COMPLETELY RANDOM!! After it's determined it knows which parent's stats to use for the rest of the calculations...

Also like someone has said MULTIPLE times before (It think CFalcon) sex is determined on the fly - The ONLY way you can change sex is by changing the attack gene or the way the game works...
-Givera

------------------
"I expect to see [Darryn] and Givera made Azurians when GS is released in English" -Ancient-Egyptian Cat-Gonk

Kobayashi
Farting Nudist
Member # 313

Member Rated:
posted 07-25-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for Kobayashi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Givera:

sex is determined on the fly

Immature laugh..

*hehehehe*

............. i guess only i found it funny.

------------------
-kobayashi

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 07-25-2000 10:07 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kobayashi:
Immature laugh..

*hehehehe*

I didn't mean it like that ^_^

(Wonders why that didn't show up when he posted the first time...)

------------------
"I expect to see [Darryn] and Givera made Azurians when GS is released in English" -Ancient-Egyptian Cat-Gonk

[This message has been edited by Givera (edited 07-26-2000).]

Arcanine
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 722

Rate Member
posted 07-26-2000 02:18 PM      Profile for Arcanine   Email Arcanine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Givera:
Originally posted by Kobayashi:
Immature laugh..
*hehehehe*

ok then i don't get it

------------------
MY LIFE IS OVER WHEN I DIE>BUT NOT WHEN I'M DEAD

Mattsaur
Farting Nudist
Member # 478

Rate Member
posted 08-05-2000 12:55 AM      Profile for Mattsaur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*cough*p*cough*e*cough*r*cough*v*cough*e*cough*r*cough*t*cough*s*cough*

------------------
The unevoled Bulbasaur that Liberated from http://www.pokemasters.com that is starting to evolve

Da Fwifta
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 764

Rate Member
posted 08-06-2000 06:26 AM      Profile for Da Fwifta   Author's Homepage   Email Da Fwifta   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mattsaur:
*cough*p*cough*e*cough*r*cough*v*cough*e*cough*r*cough*t*cough*s*cough*

I think someone has a cold.

------------------
To live is to love, to flame is to kill newbies.

Prof. Dasugi
Farting Nudist
Member # 488

Rate Member
posted 08-07-2000 06:42 PM      Profile for Prof. Dasugi   Email Prof. Dasugi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if Nintendo will change this for the English version? You can't see it being all that popular, unless they do similar things with other stats( say females have a higher speed).

------------------
Prof. Dasugi
Huh? Eevee is evolving?
Eevee evolved into Eon!

What's an Eon?

Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 08-08-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nae, he has Asthma.

And Dasugi, I heard they will, but I'm not sure exactly what.

------------------
"Well, Yoshi's a bit overpowered, don't you think? I mean, in the hierarchy of Broke-Assedness, Yoshi is only a few bits south of Ness, Boy Gayness."
-- cfalcon on SSB

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 08-09-2000 12:51 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like they expect us roundeyes to know what stats are.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.