The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » A newbie question: Minimize/DT in Stadium

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A newbie question: Minimize/DT in Stadium
pokeguy
Farting Nudist
Member # 639

Rate Member
posted 07-05-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for pokeguy   Email pokeguy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay this is my first post, I'd just like to say hi to y'all.

Now, I've been playing Stadium for a while, but I've only played in a serious Stadium competition once before. I equipped my pokemon with defensive moves like Minimize and Double Team. I noticed that their effectiveness was lowered, from my perspective. While facing a Mewtwo with my Chansey, I Minimized 6 times to the max, and even with the raised Evade stat I got clobbered by Psychic EACH time I minimized. Nothing a Softboiled couldn't do, but I was surprised that Minimize didn't provide the protection that I thought it would.

So my question is: Has recent research shown that Minimize/DT's effectiveness has been decreased in Stadium? (I've searched the forum archives and I just couldn't find anything.)

------------------
Error? What error? Pfft. I am Pokeguy. I am incapable of error.

Thrifty
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 644

Rate Member
posted 07-05-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Thrifty   Email Thrifty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pokeguy:
Okay this is my first post, I'd just like to say hi to y'all.

Now, I've been playing Stadium for a while, but I've only played in a serious Stadium competition once before. I equipped my pokemon with defensive moves like Minimize and Double Team. I noticed that their effectiveness was lowered, from my perspective. While facing a Mewtwo with my Chansey, I Minimized 6 times to the max, and even with the raised Evade stat I got clobbered by Psychic EACH time I minimized. Nothing a Softboiled couldn't do, but I was surprised that Minimize didn't provide the protection that I thought it would.

So my question is: Has recent research shown that Minimize/DT's effectiveness has been decreased in Stadium? (I've searched the forum archives and I just couldn't find anything.)

What I think is that Psychic is one of a few rare moves that always hits, except when the target Pokmon is FLYing or DIGing. I think Surf, Earthquake, and Thunderbolt might be the same way, although I'm not sure.

Speaking of Double Team... my Dodrio used Double Team four times in the Prime Cup and STILL got hit by a Horn Drill. That damn game is rigged I tell ya'.

------------------
Hoarrrgh!! Take your shoes off!!!

Karate in Pokmon Fighting Dojo

From: Newark, DE, United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 07-05-2000 02:45 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was it R2?? Psychic does not always hit, I've seen it miss. If it was R2 it was probably just the comp cheating.

------------------
...And the two most puke-inducing words man has invented; 'baby onboard'! Who gives a [fudge]!? I certainly don't ... You know what I do? I ram these people into a utility pole! Bounce that kid around, give him a sense of reality. Life doesn't change because you post a sign!
--George Carlin

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-05-2000 04:01 PM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe that in general battle, their effectiveness was cut a bit, but against the AI, it's mostly just cheating on their part.

------------------

From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-05-2000 07:59 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

You can check on the main pages for info on the accuracy of the moves in the Gameboy game. We don't have exact numbers on Minimize / DT in Stadium yet, but the opinion is that they are weakened.

Psychic, like MANY moves, has a base accuracy of hitting 255/256 times (99.6%). Like all attacks except for Swift and Transform, it takes into account the opponents evade and your accuracy. The ev/acc page goes into a lot more detail here. Note that self modifies (Amnesia, Sword's Dance) aren't subject to evasion modifiers, and may never miss unless their use would be pointless (the ev/acc page might have the answer).

If you have any more questions, please respond and I'll try to clear up things.

No research hasn't given us numbers yet.
It probably will sometime.

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

From: 3945' N, 10452' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2000 02:56 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My personal opinion is that in Player vs. Player play, DT/Minimize work the same...but I have no numbers to back that up.

I also believe that when you play vs. the CPU, the computer cheats like a madman, which is the phenomenon that people are noticing. Again, tho, I have no actual scientific data to back this up.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokmon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vandergant
Farting Nudist
Member # 626

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2000 03:12 PM      Profile for Vandergant     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also think it's cheating.

Things like that are more prevailent in the R2 mode then R1.

An Abra using Psychic against my Clefairy would miss.... Later on, however...

Well, let's just say **WHAM**

ALOT of N64 games made by the Big N (in part at least) seem to be fond of cheating (MarioKart64, anyone?)

I woulden't be shocked if that's the case here.

<-----Vandergant----->

------------------
"Holy crap, Vandergant, your a... a girl." --VaporeonsHaze

pokeguy
Farting Nudist
Member # 639

Rate Member
posted 07-09-2000 09:13 PM      Profile for pokeguy   Email pokeguy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, thanks guys.

And while on the subject of cheating, ever played Perfect Dark? Man those computer sims cheat like heck. Head shots every time they shoot, pistols suddenly shoot like submachine guns, and... there's a LOT more.

------------------
Error? What error? Pfft. I am Pokeguy. I am incapable of error.

Epyon
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 312

Rate Member
posted 07-10-2000 03:36 PM      Profile for Epyon   Email Epyon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mario Kart 64 REALLY cheats, worse than Bill Clinton...

------------------
Funny company name of the siggy:
Maximum Penetration Industries :)

oblong
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 630

Rate Member
posted 07-11-2000 01:57 PM      Profile for oblong     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I went on Stadium at my mates house and for a laugh, I went to the gym leaders castle. I minimized to the max and then got hit by thunder twice. My Jaw was lying on the ground after that.
I think it's actually biaste (I'm not that good at spelling) to one of the players cause when in free battle mode (or whatever it is, the one in the bottom left hand corner) Slowpoke Amnesiaing didn't seem to do as much as later on when I had the other control pad. I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if they was a bug in the game that favoured one player.

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Th 1g vr Thk sQŮl.
Soon to be crowned champion of Hull
AIM: obl0ng
hangs around in agnp

Netbrian
Farting Nudist
Member # 482

Member Rated:
posted 07-11-2000 02:22 PM      Profile for Netbrian   Author's Homepage   Email Netbrian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would actually suprise me... Though it cheats, Stadium DOES have a good AI overall, and enough time went into the thing that I don't think a bug like that exists... Something like that would be pretty uncommon anyway. Furthermore, the Link Battles don't have a bug like that, which Stadium basically took and revamped for their actual battles.

------------------

From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
oblong
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 630

Rate Member
posted 07-12-2000 05:59 AM      Profile for oblong     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was my first impression of stadium. All tha happended that was Amnesia didn't do as much. I'm prolly wrong, but this is stadium we're talking about

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
tH 1g vr hk sQŮl.
Soon to be crowned champion of Hull
AIM: obl0ng
hangs around in agnp

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokmon Laboratory

2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.