The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Sleep and turns....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep and turns....
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 08:18 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that sleep is random and when the victim is out to sleep it gets a number of sleep counters on it(1-8 RBY, 1-4 Stadium) but when do the counters get off?
I always though a counter get's removed on the pokémon's turn when is supposed to attack. Also the Sleep Page has an error, it says no pokémon learn 2 sleep moves and this is incorrect, exeggutes can learn Hypnosis and Sleep Powder because I use this for my Dream Tree exeggutor only moveset.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MWF
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 502

Member Rated:
posted 06-24-2000 02:19 AM      Profile for MWF   Author's Homepage   Email MWF   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, bit by bit...

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Dreamer:
I know that sleep is random and when the victim is out to sleep it gets a number of sleep counters on it(1-8 RBY, 1-4 Stadium) but when do the counters get off?

It's random. You never know exactly when. It isn't really a counter from what I understand. It keeps track of how long your pokemon's been asleep so that it doesn't sleep too long. Each turn it randomly determines whether it wakes up or not. This is how the code was explained to me.
quote:

I always thought a counter get's removed on the pokémon's turn when is supposed to attack.

It's basically a flip of the coin. But your pokemon has to wake up first before it can attack.
quote:

Also the Sleep Page has an error, it says no pokémon learn 2 sleep moves and this is incorrect, exeggutes can learn Hypnosis and Sleep Powder because I use this for my Dream Tree exeggutor only moveset.

The Sleep page says Exeggcutes can.

------------------
M.W.F. - Pokemon no meijin!

From: Pottstown, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-24-2000 04:48 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, it is a preset number generated when the pokemon goes to sleep. A counter is set somewhere between 1 and 7 (gameboy) or 1 and 3 (N64). If the sleep counter is not zero whenever a pokemon has selected ATTACK (gameboy) or "picked a move" (N64), the pokémon's sleep counter is decremented. If this makes the sleep counter zero, the game responds with the "It woke up" message, and the pokémon is no longer asleep. Otherwise you get the zzzs and it gives the "It's fast asleep message". If the sleep counter is zero at the start of the round, of course, you aren't asleep and can act normally.

I'll run through a sample sleep where a Puff gets lucky against a Sandshrew:

Sandshrew used SOMETHING!
Puff used SING! Sandshrew fell asleep!

(now the counter is picked to be between 1-7, inclusive. We will pick 4. If 1 was picked, Sandshrew would wake up and nothing would have been gained (puff has to waste a move to put someone to sleep). If 7 was picked, Sandshrew would display the "sleep" message for six rounds, and the seventh would be the "it woke up" message: 7 lost rounds is the result)

At start of round, counter = 4
Sandshrew is fast asleep! (counter =3)
Puff did SOMETHING

At start of round, counter = 3
Sandshrew is fast asleep! (counter =2)
Puff did SOMETHING

At start of round, counter = 2
Sandshrew is fast asleep! (counter =1)
Puff did ANYOLDDAMNTHING

At start of round, counter = 1
Sandshrew woke up! (counter = 0)
Puff did SOMETHING

At start of round, counter = 0, so monster is awake and prompted for move:
Sandshrew did SOMETHING
Puff did SOMETHING

If this didn't make things clear, please respond and say so, and I'll try to make it clearer (my mind is a tad hazy right now, so I might not have explained it the best).

The only chance involved is when you are first put to sleep. There is no flip or random roll every round to see if you wake up.

-cfalcon

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-24-2000 07:38 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks cfalcon, you explained it well.
I'm trying to figure out how to deal with sleeping pokémon from the victim's side and I'm doing research on this.
Everyone says that Sleep tactics are broken and that's why Nintendo(Not Game Freak) invented the Sleep Clause.
I do not believe that, I believe that Sleep was made to help the weaker pokémon a fighting chance and it is therefore a balancing tool, but I am condusting tests to put my money where my mouth is.
I am out to proove that no variable is absolute and there is no need for restrictions of any kind, from status altering made up rules to restriction of the same pokémon species.
Enough rambling now, thanks guys.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blitzzzzzzz
Farting Nudist
Member # 586

Member Rated:
posted 06-25-2000 06:37 PM      Profile for Blitzzzzzzz   Email Blitzzzzzzz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi TGD! i remember seeing ya on PBS. i dont' really understand what ur asking...

------------------
Hey i'm Blitzzzzzzz from TPM

Best/Improved Team:
Charizard Nidoking Mewtwo Articuno Raichu Gyrados

Ice Pokemon!
fire and ghost rcool2

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 06-26-2000 07:42 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Dreamer:
...the Sleep Page has an error, it says no pokémon learn 2 sleep moves...

Read more carefully.

cfalcon, this means that while an opponent is Resting, you can tick off a Sleep point on one of your own Pokemon, right?

Let's see, one turn to switch out, one turn to sleep, one turn to switch back...

...so, that wouldn't work in Stadium, but would work about half the time in GB...

...hmm, still probably not worth it...

How about Rest? If you Rest, then switch away, will you still only sleep 3 turns?

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 06-26-2000).]

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mattsaur
Farting Nudist
Member # 478

Rate Member
posted 06-29-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for Mattsaur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh............. I thought it was speed that determined sleep................. (swears to self for the 5345234523452345234th time)

------------------
The unevoled Bulbasaur that Liberated from http://www.pokemasters.com that is starting to evolve

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-06-2000 01:52 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

If you *knew they were going to rest, it would work like this:

You switched in Sleeper!
Rester went to sleep (used Rest)

Sleeper is asleep!
Rester is asleep!

You switched in active!
Rester woke up!

So yes, if you have a decent idea, then you can switch in the rester... however, you have just given your opponent full life with no good chance of doing anything (they sack three moves for a reason), but it might be helpful if they are fully DTed and you couldn't do anything anyway.

If you rest and switch away the sleep counter for that monster is unaffected: it only decrements when the "is fast asleep" message goes off.

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 07-09-2000 02:44 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
it only decrements when the "is fast asleep" message goes off.

Ah, thanks. I guess that what I wanted to know, even tho I didn't know that that was what I wanted to know.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.