The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » TeamPA's explanation of Shiny Pokemon...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TeamPA's explanation of Shiny Pokemon...
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 02:33 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is all in my own wording

There are four Genes for a pokemon (A B C D) and they're stored in two bytes as AB CD
Now the way the game tests if it's shiny or not is (You'll have to know the bit level command AND):

If (AB and 20) = 0 Then Not Shiny
If (AB and 0F) <> 0A Then Not Shiny
If (CD and F0) <> A0 Then Not Shiny
If (CD and 0F) <> 0A Then Not Shiny

((<> means "not-equal"))

If a pokemon can pass all of those test (I.E. none of them give the result "Not Shiny") then he/she is shiny...

This means the pokemon's genes need to be: xA AA where x is any 4 bit number who'se binary expression is xx1x where THOSE x's can be either 0 or 1 (They don't necessarily all have to be the same)

I know this has been brought up before but I just thought I'd share TeamPA's information on the subject...
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

[This message has been edited by Givera (edited 06-22-2000).]

Scorch
Farting Nudist
Member # 532

Rate Member
posted 06-22-2000 03:47 PM      Profile for Scorch   Author's Homepage   Email Scorch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This means the pokemon's genes need to be: xA AA where x is any 4 bit number who'se binary expression is xx1x where THOSE x's can be either 0 or 1 (They don't necessarily all have to be the same)

Actually, for that to be true, wouldn't the third condition have to be:

If (CD and F0) <> A0 then not shiny

The way the third condition is now, it will always be true, because if you look at the low bytes:

(-D and -0) <> -A

is always true.

If the third condition is indeed correct, then gene C could be anything.

------------------
-Scorch

ODDISH used DIVINE INTERVENTION!
JIGGLYPUFF vanished from existence!

From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 03:50 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea you're right... I'll fix that now...
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 10:16 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ooo, I like shiny

------------------
"And sometimes you see things that aren't there (Like what?)
Like fat woman in G-strings with orange hair
(Mr. Shady what's a G-string?) It's yarn Claire
Women stick 'em up their behinds, go out and wear 'em"

--"The Kids" by Eminem

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 12:01 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea, that's pretty much what we've had for a while, no big shock... Just a three bits that can be anything, and the others predetermined for a shiny...

------------------
-cfalcon

"Body Slam + Confuse Ray = Fucking annoying!"
-Iyse

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 566

Rate Member
posted 06-23-2000 01:33 PM      Profile for Dark Annon   Email Dark Annon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Other than color, what's different between normal and shiny pokemon???

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 05:13 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Annon:
Other than color, what's different between normal and shiny pokemon???

You can trick little kids into paying you big money saying "See how it shines in battle? That means I've enchanted it with Pikablu's Thunder magic... he's invincible to any attack... Look how easily he defeats that level 2 weedle!! OMG!! ... But you know what? I'll give him too you for free!! But there are shipping and handling fees... $20!!" ^_^
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 05:15 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
Yea, that's pretty much what we've had for a while, no big shock... Just a three bits that can be anything, and the others predetermined for a shiny...

Yea... I thought I'd just bring TeamPA's analysis of the situation into the open...

What I find odd though is they could simplify those commands from 4 into 2...
Oh well... what can we expect from the people who invented Pikachu??
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't shiny Pokémon have higher stats than regular ones?

------------------
BOB wants to fight!
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
It's super effective!
MEWTWO fainted!
BOB: What the, how did...
BOB is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
BOB: Why the @$%! did I just hit myslef?

From: Needham, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 09:34 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by articool:
Don't shiny Pokémon have higher stats than regular ones?

On average yes...
A shiny's Defense, Speed, and Special (Attack and Defense) genes are A or 10 - The maximum is 15 so it's pretty high up there but not the best...
A side effect though is there HP will either be 8 or 0... meaning they either have medium HP or HORRIBLE HP...
Their Attack can be any value though... (Red Gyarados's will be 14 though making his HP always be 0)
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-24-2000 07:47 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When does this calculate? When encountering a pokémon or breeding it? I mean, can you get shiny versions of pokémon by breeding? Like breeding shiny pokémon with other shinys to get the moves? Or are shiny pokémon exclusive to that specie and cannot be bread? I'm just afraid certain pokémon will loose their value in the battlefield because the moves that make that pokémon something useful (like parasects)...
Sorry for the Barrage of questions but I know little about breeding.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-24-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When does this calculate?
Whenever it needs to - If you change a pokemon's genes with Gameshark it will also (Under most cases) change if it's shiny or not...
(I.E. - If you have a shiny pokemon and then change his genes via Game Shark the next time you see him he might not be shiny - Shininess isn't stored anywhere it's just calculated every time it needs to know if a Pokemon is Shiny)

When encountering a pokémon or breeding it? I mean, can you get shiny versions of pokémon by breeding?
You can get Shiny pokemon through breeding and through catching as far as I know...

Like breeding shiny pokémon with other shinys to get the moves?
Genes are (For the most part) random... very little of their genes are determined by the parents...

Or are shiny pokémon exclusive to that specie and cannot be bread?
Shiny pokemon are just like any other pokemon of the same type except they have a specific range of genes... (A Red (Shiny) Gyarados will breed and act just like a regular Gyarados would)

I'm just afraid certain pokémon will loose their value in the battlefield because the moves that make that pokémon something useful (like parasects)...
?? Shininess does nothing but give you a clue as to what the enemies genes are...
(A shiny pokemon is just as vulnerable to attacks as a regular one and no more powerful in battle)
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

[This message has been edited by Givera (edited 06-24-2000).]

magmar5
Farting Nudist
Member # 592

Member Rated:
posted 06-27-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for magmar5   Author's Homepage   Email magmar5   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that'll work well for me

------------------
-magmar5

ThePokemasters- magmar5

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.