The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » When someone finally catches Mew...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When someone finally catches Mew...
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-20-2000 04:41 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Alright, there are plenty of glitches in pokémon. Soon someone will find a combination of variables that will result in Mew being catchable without any shark or genie being involved. Probably this will involve a "view data incorrectly" glitch such as the old man trick or the glitch city trick, with the emphasis being that some of the data is user controlled (like the way the name controls the old man trick). If some of you brave experimenters are out there running around glitch city, you may want to do that with 21 of every item that you can take with you: it may try to read those items as pokemon, and Mew's number is 15 hex, or twenty one in decimal.

But what then? A natural Mew will look just like a sharked Mew. It will almost certainly be illegal to use in tournaments, as the only legal Mews have certificates. What will it change? Sure it will be nice, but everyone who is questing for Mews for the masses should know that the net effect will be that those without:

(a) Sharks
(b) Friends with sharks

will be the primary one effected, with the rare exception of those that are OK with a glitch but not a hack.

Maybe Nintendo will reverse their decision?

Opinions?

-cfalcon

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 06-21-2000 01:03 AM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL Frankly I don't care if I have an official Mew or not. If I get the chance to get one, I will, but my sharked one suits me just fine. I especially like it because I get to name it (I love naming my pokemon LOL) I named mine Mewsical :::ducks in case anyone gets annoyed at her pun and tries to through an eggecute at her:::: ::grin::

------------------

From: Kansas (U.S.) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-21-2000 03:42 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

My favorite Mew (a copy on all three gamepaks, and what I will trade at tournament to someone, I swear it )

Mew Mewtool

1- Surf
2- Strength
3- Fly
4- Cut

After all, you only *need* surf, strength, and cut (what, you can't walk through the cave in the dark? )....

------------------
-cfalcon

"Body Slam + Confuse Ray = Fucking annoying!"
-Iyse

TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 12:07 AM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've had those "SlaveMews" on my games for over a year. Mine are called Toby, but then I discovered TobyBro, and I get confused now.

------------------
"It's a revolving door of Pokémon!"

TeeJay
AIM: daBIGTom
e-mail: dabigtom@yahoo.com

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 06-22-2000 12:09 AM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh, heh that's why I caught a magnemite, taught it flash and then named it Flashmite! :::prepares to duck again <G>:::

------------------

[This message has been edited by Starshelle (edited 06-22-2000).]

From: Kansas (U.S.) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
*Scyther
Farting Nudist
Member # 327

Rate Member
posted 06-22-2000 03:27 PM      Profile for *Scyther   Email *Scyther   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'll try that.
sounds strange, but it's worth a try

------------------

borg_5x8
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 549

Rate Member
posted 06-25-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for borg_5x8   Author's Homepage   Email borg_5x8   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cfalcon, wouldn't a natural mew (presumeably caught wild) have natural genes? The only way of identifying sharked mews will be the manipulated gene values...

BTW, due to the fixed crappy mew genes that Nintendo gave out being the only way they ever intended anyone to ever get a mew (until they do the next blockbuster deal) does that mean nintendo never intended anyone to have a shiny mew in G/S?

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-26-2000 03:57 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The people who setup the official tour Mew probably don't even know what a "shiny Pokemon" is yet...

Can anyone give me hard evidence as to whether the tour Mews all have the same genes or not?

borg_5x8
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 549

Rate Member
posted 06-26-2000 12:06 PM      Profile for borg_5x8   Author's Homepage   Email borg_5x8   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hehe, probably not... actually, I be very surprised if any of them could name more than 10 pokemon...

"Uh, Mewtwo..Mew...Pikachu...Charmander...Squirtle...that orange thing pikachu turns into...uh, Mew....Charizard...has it been ten yet?"

------------------

Apophis
worthless spud
Member # 487

Member Rated:
posted 06-29-2000 12:51 PM      Profile for Apophis     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
heres how the mew machines worked.....
each of our 3 machines had 10 thousands varying mews in them.
all of them had differing stats, all learned the same moveset though.
very simple.
btw, forgive me for sounding like a dummy, but what is a "shiny" pokemon?
brandon

------------------
I am Lord of this world, and the next.
My power surpasses that of any normal HUMAN.
None may contain my evil.

From: Ghent, Belgium | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mattsaur
Farting Nudist
Member # 478

Rate Member
posted 06-30-2000 01:03 AM      Profile for Mattsaur     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A shiny pokemon is arare pokemon that can be caught/transfered from RBY/ or given by someone in the game taht usually has higher stats than a non shiny pokemon

------------------
The unevoled Bulbasaur that Liberated from http://www.pokemasters.com that is starting to evolve

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-30-2000 01:36 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Apophis:

Basically, in Gold and Silver a check is made to see if the genes (which are two bytes) match certain "magic numbers". Of the 65536 possible values for genes, 8 of them will give you a shiny monster. Since these genes are determined when you catch a monster, you can randomly run into a shiny monster in Gold and Silver. It is also possible to catch a monster in Red, Blue, and Yellow that will be shiny when it goes over to Gold and Silver (as it has the correct genes). Some monsters in Gold and Silver that occur at specific events (like Snorlax does in Red, Blue, and Yellow) have preset genes to make them shiny.

What does it mean to be shiny? Nothing relating to gameplay that we know of. Basiclally, a little "shiny" icon appears near the sex marker (or near where it would be for a sexless monster), and the monster is given a different color.

Basically, it's the old palette swap trick, except because of the rarity it's pretty cool. Nintendo could easily give out shiny monsters in a future tour or something if they set up the machines to give out the same genes.

I have a couple questions about the Mew machines, we would all be very grateful if you could preform these few experiments, or relate information based on passed experience:

(1) Same Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, dependent on some combination of the two, such as the trainer ID plus the machine ID)
(2) Different Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, dependent on the trainer ID#)
(3) Same Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, based on some machine ID#)

I've heard different things, so it would make sense if a Mew machine had a "machine ID" that was either constant or generated everytime it was turned on...

However, if you are sure that the Mews are straight up random, then that's the best situation...

Thanks for your time.

-cfalcon

Pokeshark
Farting Nudist
Member # 590

Member Rated:
posted 06-30-2000 03:13 PM      Profile for Pokeshark     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
this may be a stupid question, but is there a code that always makes WILD monsters shiny?

example: say i want a shiny mew, could i put in 1 code to always catch mew, and 1 code to always make him shiny?

ps, can you tell if a monster is shiny on GB Pocket? thanks a lot.

------------------

From: Happy Fuck Land | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 07-01-2000 02:12 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, you just have to use the gene modification codes (either in Red/Blue/Yellow before you transfer or in Gold/Silver after you transfer / after you catch it). Find them by using the Search feature in the Sakaki tower section for keywords like "shiny monster".

Keep in mind the codes for Gold and Silver are for the Japanese version only (as it is the only one in existence currently available to the public). There is also a code that will actually make it so that the monster you fight is automatically shiny: Meowth goes into detail in some older posts.

To answer your question, yes, both codes exist. Look for them in Sakaki tower...

------------------
-cfalcon

"That's an awesome cape too, look, it's black and white!"
-pkthunder, on Lance's cape in the Gameboy version

Philbo
Farting Nudist
Member # 443

Member Rated:
posted 07-03-2000 03:41 PM      Profile for Philbo   Email Philbo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Answers to cfalcon's Questions:
quote:
(1) Same Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, dependent on some combination of the two, such as the trainer ID plus the machine ID)

Yes
quote:
(2) Different Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, dependent on the trainer ID#)

No
quote:
(3) Same Mew machine, same cartridge. Does the same Mew always result? (aka, based on some machine ID#)

Yes

quote:
I've heard different things, so it would make sense if a Mew machine had a "machine ID" that was either constant or generated everytime it was turned on...

That's interesting. I've come into contact with the Mew machines at BlueWater(UK), and because the organisers were slack, I got to go round repeatedly, and used different machines. What I found out was:
Each individual machine has a specific ID#, no questions asked. The ID# is NOT random between downloads. However, when the machine is turned off, I don't know if it generates a new ID# (ask Apophis for this).
The Mew is always the same(16,15,16,15) (cant remember HP)
The Trainer name for the UK tour was ALWAYS UK, on every machine

Thats what I know about it...

------------------

I'm trying to forget myself, but if I do where will I be when I need me?
Out of Desperation, courage is born
A frog in a well does not know the ocean-Japanese proverb

Late at night, she knocks on my door
She's drunk again and she's lookin to score
I know I should say no, but
It's kinda hard when she's ready to go!
I know I'm not a dweeb
I'm just a sucker with no self esteem....-The Offspring, Selfesteem

From: Kent, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
katsura
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 163

Rate Member
posted 07-13-2000 11:47 AM      Profile for katsura   Email katsura   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
okay, the no. on your certificate is the SAME as his ID no... the little computer does it... it's "Authentic"... i don't even want offficial mews, when I already have tons with perfect stats...

------------------
Mew VS Mewtwo:
Mewtwo amnesia's
Mew thunderwaves
Mew (now faster) horn drills, one HIT ko!!!

Elian
Farting Nudist
Member # 486

Member Rated:
posted 07-15-2000 12:10 PM      Profile for Elian   Author's Homepage   Email Elian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
one thing that i know is that the ID goes up by one each time....

cuz mine was like 345990 or somethin and then my friend behind me got 345991

(those arent the exact numbers, but they did go up like that)

------------------
"The weak don't deserve to take advantage of nataku's strength!"
- Chang Wufei

www.FrostCave.com
The FrostCave online RPG

abz1986
Farting Nudist
Member # 150

Member Rated:
posted 07-15-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for abz1986   Author's Homepage   Email abz1986   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey, I want a mew...

------------------
Wild MISSINGNO. appeared
Abz1986: Go GENGAR!
GENGAR used CONFUSE RAY!
MISSINGNO. is CONFUSED!
MISSINGNO. is CONFUSED.
It hurt itself in confusion!
MISSINGNO. FAINTED

From: Overland Park, KS, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GamrGuy
unregistered

posted 07-15-2000 04:25 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abz1986:
hey, I want a mew...

Hey, get a Shark...

------------------
Gĺm®GűĄ
"ash is the human incarnation of NOA" - GamrGuy

AIM: GamrGuy87

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.