The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Average damage of multi-turn attacks

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Average damage of multi-turn attacks
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-17-2000 02:24 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, we know that for all of the average damages for the multi-turn attacks, they base damage (times accuracy) was simply multiplied by 3.5, because we thought that 2,3,4 and 5-hit turns all were equal. But since we now know that 2 and 3 hit turns occur 3.75% of the time, and 4 and 5 hit turns happen 12.5% of the time,(confirmed at http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum1/HTML/000184.html ) the average damage comes out to be only 3 times the base damage (x accuracy), not 3.5 a previously thought.
There, I contributed something.

------------------
BOB wants to fight!
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
It's super effective!
MEWTWO fainted!
BOB: What the, how did...
BOB is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
BOB: Why the @$%! did I just hit myslef?

[This message has been edited by articool (edited 06-17-2000).]

From: Needham, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2000 08:12 AM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um, you guys don't seem to care...

------------------
BOB wants to fight!
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
It's super effective!
MEWTWO fainted!
BOB is confused!

Cpt_Carnage
Farting Nudist
Member # 466

Rate Member
posted 06-18-2000 09:21 AM      Profile for Cpt_Carnage   Author's Homepage   Email Cpt_Carnage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that info - unfortunatly I'm the only person around here who uses multi-turn moves as a regular part of my moveset...

A bonus which everyone overlooks is that when you use a multi-turn move - you inflict damage but your enemy can't retaliate - meaning you can KO an enemy without being hurt yourself...

------------------
ICQ# 70919600
Member of MeWtWo SuX
Master of Dragon Pokemon
Slayer of Bulbasaurs, Clefairies and Onixs
:)
This will have to do for a sig' pic'

From: Depths of hell (England) | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 06-19-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not really sure what the average damage of multi-turn attacks is, but you are right I am pretty sure it is not 3.5 because the distribution is obviously not equal. I've always so far assumed it was 3, like you say it is. I dunno if it really is though. I've also always assumed the average number of Sleep turns is also 3, but for different reasons. I think there is a 67% to 70% chance to continue sleeping each turn till a maximum of 7 turns, so that mathematically gives a average Sleep turn of 2.8 - 3.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-19-2000 11:03 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With a .375/.375/.125/.125 setup, the average damage can be calculated as follows (where x = one hit of a multi-hit move)

(0.375 * 2x) + (0.375 * 3x) + (0.125 * 4x) + (0.125 * 5x)
= 0.75x + 1.125x + 0.5x + 0.625x
= 3x

So the average damage is three times the attack's base damage:

42 - Pin Missile
45 - Doubleslap, Fury Attack, Barrage
54 - Comet Punch, Fury Swipes
60 - Spike Cannon

I've also always assumed the average number of Sleep turns is also 3, but for different reasons. I think there is a 67% to 70% chance to continue sleeping each turn till a maximum of 7 turns, so that mathematically gives a average Sleep turn of 2.8 - 3.

The number of turns a Pokemon will stay asleep or confused is fixed at the time the causal attack happens. You can prove this with an emulator. Put an enemy to sleep or confuse them, save a quicksave/snapshot using the emu's custom save feature, play until the effect wears off, and then reload your save. Do this several times, and you'll see that the Pokemon always wakes up or stops being confused after the same number of turns.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-20-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sleep is a byte that you can set your self. It counts down every round. When it reaches 0, you wake up. If it was zero at the start of a round, you can use an attack (aka, you weren't asleep). It is three bits big, so valid values are:

0 means you are awake, so when you go to sleep it picks a number between 1 and 7. The distribution is almost certainly even, as Toby has tested this. Every round it decreases. There is no flip or roll to wake up. The number is prechosen.

------------------
-cfalcon

"Body Slam + Confuse Ray = Fucking annoying!"
-Iyse

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 06:49 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, cfalcon, is someone gonna add this or what?

------------------
BOB wants to fight!
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
It's super effective!
MEWTWO fainted!
BOB is confused!

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.