The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Mirror Move oddity (Stadium)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirror Move oddity (Stadium)
PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 06-15-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Pokemon Stadium Poke Cup:
--------------
ALAKAZAM used DISABLE!
PIDGEOT's MIRROR MOVE was disabled!

PIDGEOT used MIRROR MOVE!
PIDGEOT used DISABLE!
ALAKAZAM's PSYBEAM was disabled!
--------------
Result: Pidgeot successfully used Mirror Move even though it was disabled on that turn. All other moves I've seen when used on the same turn they are disabled, get the message "The move is disabled!". Not so with Mirror Move... could it have been because Pidgeot was really using Disable?

Anyway I think this should be noted under Mirror Move's description, unless it's already been brought up.

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa
Admin: Kamek's Kastle Forums
Forum Moderator: Gameshark Central Forums

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-16-2000 02:52 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm guessing that since Mirror Move was chosen before it was disabled, it would function as normal for that turn.

------------------
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
One hit KO!
BOB: What the, how did...
BOB is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
BOB: Why the @$%! did I just hit myslef?

From: Needham, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark Annon
Farting Nudist
Member # 566

Rate Member
posted 06-20-2000 11:50 PM      Profile for Dark Annon   Email Dark Annon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have had a few experiences where the opponent disabled the move I was about to use, and when I used it, it was disabled...

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-21-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe people don't quite understand what's he asking...
PoKamek pointed out that if Disable is used and disables the ability you used before it's used then it's shown as being Disabled:

quote:
Alakazam chooses Disable and Pidgeot chooses Sky Attack

Alakazam used Disable!
Pidgeot's Sky Attack was Disabled!

Sky Attack is Disabled!

Or something to that extent (I'm not sure of the exact wording)...
But when Mirror Move was used it functioned as if it wasn't Disabled...
What PoKamek is asking is when you use Mirror Move does it determine what move you are going to use at the start of the round or when it is used... If it's decided at the beginning of the turn then it would reference the other player using Disable and store somewhere that you're going to use Disable... thus it temporarily "adds" disable to your move list and can still use that even though Mirror Move was disabled...
Hmm... I think PoKamek's question made more sense than my explanation of it...

Anyways what about Mimic and Metronome?? Do they have similar results??
-Givera

------------------
"Yea..." -Heero Yuy

PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 06-22-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt Mimic would, but perhaps Metronome.

This is something I might experiment on this weekend...

I'll run it down with a better explanation this time:

== Battle Turn Begins ==

Kamek orders Alakazam to use Disable, and the enemy trainer orders Pidgeot to use Mirror Move. The usage of Mirror Move at this point is 100% legal because it is not disabled yet.

Alakazam is faster, so it goes first. It uses Disable, and Pidgeot's Mirror Move is disabled.

Now it's Pidgeot's turn. If Alakazam had disabled, say, Sky Attack, and Pidgeot was going to use Sky Attack, a message would come up saying the move was disabled at this point and Pidgeot would lose its turn. Instead, Pidgeot uses Mirror Move anyway, and copies the Disable attack, disabling Alakazam's Psybeam.

== Battle Turn Ends ==

The question is, why was the use of Mirror Move allowed even though it was disabled on the same turn? Is it because:

a) Pidgeot was really using Disable and not Mirror Move, because the effect of Mirror Move is to use the move that the enemy last used, and Disable was not disabled, so it was a legal move?
b) Mirror Move is somehow immune to the effects of Disable if both Mirror Move and Disable are used on the same turn?
c) Alakazam was on crack?

This is what I intend to find out. I dunno about those rental pokemon, though, some of 'em are real druggies...

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa
Admin: Kamek's Kastle Forums
Forum Moderator: Gameshark Central Forums

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.