The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Hyper Beam vs. Substitute

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hyper Beam vs. Substitute
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-11-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the Gameboy, if a Hyper Beam breaks a Substitute, does it need to recharge? I couldn't find any mention of this on either move's page.
Philbo
Farting Nudist
Member # 443

Member Rated:
posted 06-11-2000 03:19 AM      Profile for Philbo   Email Philbo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, nope, nein, no
Which is why I still (for some reason) use HB against Greps
(Not sure about stadium tho, the complete and utter gayness of it just craps up everything)

------------------
Mewtwo used Blizzard
It's frozen rock solid!
Being unable to move hurts

I'm trying to forget myself, but if I do where will I be when I need me?

Out of Desperation, courage is born

From: Kent, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dragonov
Farting Nudist
Member # 222

Rate Member
posted 06-11-2000 01:51 PM      Profile for Dragonov   Email Dragonov   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still don't know why they insisted on fixing something that wasn't broken. Hyperbeam was awesome in GB, but is less useful in Stadium. Since you're opponent will always get a free hit after you use it, it works well just before your pokemon faints (cool for guys who can't learn explosion). It's also good on someone with DT/Rest since they'll likely be missed during the recharge. Finally, it just looks cool...

------------------

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 06-17-2000 07:03 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was broken in the users' favor. Hyper Beam should always have to recharge, IMO.

------------------
COFFEE!
Sun Microsystems' Java Programming Language

Dragonov
Farting Nudist
Member # 222

Rate Member
posted 06-18-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for Dragonov   Email Dragonov   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hyperbeam worked fine in red/blue/yellow. I suppose it should have to recharge if it misses, but not if your opponent faints. Hyperbeam was intended to be a finishing move and it makes sense that the time it takes your opponent to bring out a fresh pokemon would more than cover the recharge time, which is why there was no recharge if your opponent fainted. I do admit that breaking a substitute prbably shouldn't qualify for the no-recharge bonus, but finishing off an enemy should. Also, Hyperbeam is not 100% accurate and you take a chance every time you use it. If you miss, your opponent gets 2 free rounds to beat on you...

------------------

Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 06-18-2000 02:04 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's not the way it'd work in reality.

------------------
COFFEE!
Sun Microsystems' Java Programming Language

Starshelle
Farting Nudist
Member # 567

Rate Member
posted 06-22-2000 12:20 AM      Profile for Starshelle   Email Starshelle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In reality? LOL In reality Pokemon doesn't exist at all except as a game!! ;-) Wait what am saying?? ::reassuringly pats her Eevee next to her::: <G>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Starshelle (edited 06-22-2000).]

From: Kansas (U.S.) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 09:31 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
That's not the way it'd work in reality.

Well, in reality, it might take the opposing trainer enough time to fling out the next Pokeball for the Beamer to rest.

It certainly works like that in the show.

I guess doesn't really work for Substitute, tho...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 06-22-2000 11:50 AM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
Well, in reality, it might take the opposing trainer enough time to fling out the next Pokeball for the Beamer to rest.

It certainly works like that in the show.

Heh,did you see the episode where Team Rocket kidnapped the surfing Pikachu with Ash's Pikachu(the Pi-Kahuna?) and ran into a swarm of mating Gyarados? They Hyper Beamed the sub to bits,which wouldn't work because the Gyarados would have to recharge,allowing TR to may a clean get-away. But they just kept Beaming away!

------------------
* GLOOMBOY: The Vileplume Trainer *

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 10:49 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it might work that way for Substitute. I have a mental image of the Pokemon setting up a a Sub so they can run to the bathroom in the middle of the match, so the recharging could happen while the Pokemon ran back.
articool
Farting Nudist
Member # 65

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for articool   Email articool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but they could be put to sleep or paralyzed while on the can.

------------------
BOB wants to fight!
BOB sent out MEWTWO!
GO! MAGIKARP!
MAGIKARP used SPLASH!
It's super effective!
MEWTWO fainted!
BOB: What the, how did...
BOB is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
BOB: Why the @$%! did I just hit myslef?

From: Needham, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 06-23-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hyper beam is broken in RB, is a 2 turn attack backwards, you're opponent doesn't see it coming. But that's all that it is, 2 turn attack but you pay the round after instead of before, thank God they fixed Hyper Beam the way it should be.
I don't know if G&S is fixed though.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.