The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » * glitches 4 a reason? *

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: * glitches 4 a reason? *
Elian
Farting Nudist
Member # 486

Member Rated:
posted 06-03-2000 08:55 PM      Profile for Elian   Author's Homepage   Email Elian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about all of the glitches in the game and, do you think that they could be there for a reason.......i mean like if they took them out than a section of the game wouldnt work......dont know if this is possible, but if you looked at the programming in a ROM for the computer and you found out what the glitch in the prog. was then u take it out...then the game dosent work.........

-i think that this could be a breakthru!!!

------------------
"The weak don't deserve to take advantage of nataku's strength!"
- Chang Wufei

www.FrostCave.com
The FrostCave online RPG

Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 06-03-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I remember reading somewhere on the net that the glitches were put there on purpose to stop cheaters. I.e "Hey, an item dupilcation trick! I've got 129 of all the items I need! Wait, my save is gone!". Though I can't be sure how true this is. Of course, Pokemon's program code is unstable. ^^;;

One thing that bothers me about Missingno. If NoA didn't know about it, then how could it's name be translated? Unless it's name was in English in the original, then one would think it would be writen in kantakana. I know that all Japanese text has been removed, but that doesn't explain why Missingno has an English name.

------------------

Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 06-04-2000 01:03 AM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they translated it because, as I heard while back, they were originally going to use all the slots, but got lazy, and only used 151 of them. NoA knew that Missingno existed, but they didnt know it(they?) would start showing up in the actual game. It was changed from Ketsuban to Missingno by American coders for cosmetic reasons.

------------------
Anthrax
The Peculiar Purple Pokemon from Porcupine Peak!
Nya ta ta ta ta ta, ta ta ta, tah!

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-04-2000 03:52 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, they translated the game, which includes the text which shouldn't show up, but might in testing. It is more friendly for a US tester to see "Missing Number" than random gobbledly gook (which is what katakana would look like without the matching character set).

Certain glitches may have been intentional, but big ones (multi items, etc.) were almost assuredly accidental. Any kind of item overflow was almost certainly caused by using some signed operations (possibly even with unsigned operations elsewhere) with variables that were never supposed to exceed 99 (well within 8 bit signed limits).

------------------
-cfalcon

"He's supposed to be her daddy, but she makes him pay for sex."
-Jamie

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 06-04-2000 12:20 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlmiddleton:
It WAS intential to have Missingno. in the game. It is used in place of Pokemon you can't catch in your version.

Er, I haven't read that Mystery of the NEW Mew threadt, so maybe I'm misreading what you said, but what you just said there didn't sound right to me. Anyone who know hexadecimal and the design of Pokémon knows that there is a limit of 256 items (0-255), a maximum of 256 different attacks, and a limited maximum of 256 Pokémon. Those MissingNo.s are just the unused Pokémon out of the 256. That's why they, when traded ot Gold or Silver, become some of the new Pokémon: the 'templates' are actually used in the new games.

--Meowth346

------------------
Totodile, go! Oh no, he's got a Granbull! Totodile, return! Who should I choose next, Murkrow, Igglybuff, or Espeon?
Confused?

GamrGuy
unregistered

posted 06-04-2000 01:36 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, for my take on Missingno., go to...
http://www.geocities.com/pk_gamer/missingno.htm

------------------
Gĺm®GűĄ
My site:Pokémon Gamer
AIM/AOL: GamrGuy87

IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course it was intentional to have a game glitch appear as "Missing Number": that allows the designers to fix the invalid data in the encounter table. Much better than just locking up, or worse...

But no, the end product was not meant to have MissingNo. as an encounterable pokémon. Simply put, there are 256 possible values for a byte, and only 151 of them are valid in the chromatics. The others... well...

They just give you junk. Some it is the intended (MissingNo.), while others display incorrectly (notably, I think pokémon value 0 displays as the thing known as "M box" or something, while the nonzero invalids display as MissingNo., but as I haven't tested this and don't intend to, Meowth would be a much better source for this info).

Also note that pokédex number is entirely independent of array index number in chromatics, but the array has been reordered in Gold and Silver to be in the order of the original pokédex.

------------------
-cfalcon

"He's supposed to be her daddy, but she makes him pay for sex."
-Jamie

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 06-05-2000 08:20 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another example of lazy programming by NoA. If they new about missingNo and even translated to the name so the game wouldnt freeze, why couldnt they just take the time to remove the glitch??

------------------
HAHaha, looks like big trouble for the..............IMPSON family. heheheh.

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 06-06-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, let me repeat: "IT WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO SHOW UP", they didnt know about it until after the game got released.

And they did remove the glitch from Yellow, and there are still empty pokemon slots.

And why is overtype on? I had torewrite an entire sentence

------------------
Anthrax
And it's just a Box of Rain, or a ribbon for your hair. Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there.

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.