The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Amnesia and Speed?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amnesia and Speed?
Peelium
Farting Nudist
Member # 406

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2000 06:03 PM      Profile for Peelium   Email Peelium   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question: Does Amnesia affect the speed of your pokemon?

I used a L53 Snorlax against Gary's L61 Exeggcutor when fighting the Elite 4 (on GB).

The battle went like this:

Exeggcutor used hypnosis
I used poke flute

Exeggcutor used barrage
Snorlax used Amnesia

Exeggcutor used stomp
Snorlax used Amnesia

Now thing went funny, Snolax attacked first:

Snolax used Amnesia
Exeggcutor used barrage

Snolax used Ice Beam
Exeggcutor fainted

I tried again when Snorlax was L56, and it attacked first after the first Amnesia.

So, does Amnesia affect speed?

If this has been investigated before, sorry for wasting your time, but it seemed important.

------------------
The bad thing about
common sense is...

its not that common

From: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is an effect called "Stat-bleeding". It only affects pokemon in-game tho... not during link battles, I don't know exactly how it works, but I do know that when you use a move like amnesia, it changes all (I think all) of your stats by a bit... someone on this board knows the exact value.. They'll probably answer it for you.
GolemKong
Farting Nudist
Member # 16

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2000 06:09 PM      Profile for GolemKong   Author's Homepage   Email GolemKong   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I found a post w/ the content in it anyways :
quote:
Originally posted by Wintermute:
What you're noticing is an instance of "stat bleeding". In game (but not link) battles, any stat modifier also affects your other stats, increasing them by 1/8 of their original value each time.

------------------
"Probability can be a real b!tch."
-Mr. K

"God bless incompetence!"
-Jackdaw

Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2000 11:57 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone found out WHy this happens??????

------------------
"This one time my friends were playing basketball. Some thug passed by, pulled out a gun and demanded for their wallets. The first guy was like, 'ummm we're playing ball… we didn't bring our wallets.' The second was like, 'hold on… my wallet is in the car.'"

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2000 01:08 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because the programmers were sloppy.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2000 03:27 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Umm.. since it works in 1P only, and boosts all stats by 1/8 (I think), I am almost completely certain it was a deliberate to encourage the use of stat boosters in the 1P game, where they are worth a lot less than in the link battles (in link battles you don't care what you win by: in 1P you want to knock out the opponent in 1 or 2 hits, and get more EXP in less time, as well as not faint).

I think the laziness is in how they implemented, but I doubt it was accidental...

-cfalcon

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Peelium
Farting Nudist
Member # 406

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2000 02:38 PM      Profile for Peelium   Email Peelium   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot guys

------------------
The bad thing about
common sense is...

its not that common

From: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It happens because of a bug with your Gym Badges, not what cfalcon says. According to Meowth346 who looked in the Pokemon RAM memory, a Gym Badge increases a stat in-battle by 1/8 (I have a hard time believing it is this little, ohwell). I asked him to check for this "stat-bleeding" phenomena in 1P mode if his character DIDN'T have any badges...he did, and guess what there was no stat-bleeding.

So each time you are affected by a stat-modifying move, the game accidentally gives you an additional set of badges to further boost your stats.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-31-2000 05:51 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a good correlation, and does make it sound more like a glitch, but...

...since the badges are documented to give you a small boost, I'm still not completely convinced that it's an accident. They may have just figured that duplicating your badge bonus is a good idea...

Since the programming is so shady, I can't really say one way or another. It just seems that conditionally boosting stats in 1P doesn't *seem* like a bad idea... but on the other hand, it does seem like a good candidate for a straight glitch.

------------------
-cfalcon

"He's supposed to be her daddy, but she makes him pay for sex."
-Jamie

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 06-01-2000 04:16 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm... so does Amnesia stat-bleed your other stats more than Growth does?? If not wouldn't Growth be more useful for long battles so you can Stat-Bleed your stats 6 times rather than 3??
-Givera

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.