The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Reflect/LightScreen

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reflect/LightScreen
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 05:45 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So my Chansey was battling Mewtwo one day when it's special was dropped.
This was after Mewtwo used some Amnesia and Chansey built its LightScreen.

This got me thinking, if the Stat modifer can still be dropped after using LightScreen, then it could be boosted as well.

This also means that LightScreen isnt just a Stat modier of 2.

So anyway, tested my DefenseCurl Chansey against a Snorlax.

I gave Chansey Reflect and 6 Defense Curls.
Snorlax, using DoubleEdge.

Pocupine said that when Relfect/LightScreen is used, L is divided by two.
So I made a "defense" formula based on that.

my numbers: 44 min, 48 ave, 52 max

My one test in stadium: 41

although Porcupine's postioning of the Reflect variable was 3 points off minimum, its still in the ballpark.

The bottom line, Reflect and DefenseCurl can be used on top of each other.

------------------
AIM: MewtwoSama
It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies.

Chicken Mcnugget Tuesdays

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Err... since Reflect / Lightscreen don't modify statistics, they are stackable on moves that do. After all, they simply halve damage, right (subject to odd rounding and random +1s).

This isn't news is it? I thought that was known...

------------------
-cfalcon

"What's important... Is to love each card..."
-Ronald, lamenting his loss in Ishihara's house, Pokémon Trading Card Game

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:37 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, one of the biggies at RPGgamer told me otherwise.

I checked Azure's notes on the moves, they mention nothing of "Stacking" the moves on top of each other.

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 09:44 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you can stack Light Screen on, not sure though. I tested this long ago but I forgot what I discovered. =D

Are you sure you didn't make a mistake when you calculated the range of damages for your scenario? It is really easy to make a mistake, and the new BDF should be accurate to the exact point of damage. Did you take into account the stats of the pokemons and round down accordingly? You have to round down every time you make a division.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's also possible that the exact details of Light Screen were changed in Stadium (enough to make a few points difference) but I doubt it.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 09:49 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know Wintermute's worked a bit on this problem and the 2 attacks have very strange interactions. Sometimes using them together can make things worse than if you hadn't done anything.

I don't think he's ever gotten things down to something publishable, but I know those moves are full of mysteries...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Well, I didn't realize they were still up in the air... how odd... does anyone happen to know the web address of a primer on Z80 opcodes? I think someone posted an address to the actual code a while back, and if I knew for sure what did what (like the "and a" instruction seems to be a "nop", which, while makes some sense, might also be used to clear the zero flag or something (it does have a zero flag, right?) ).

Oh well, I'm rambling...

Interesting that those moves don't just plain work... I thought reflect would halve damage from any physical attack, rounding down, and some kind of generic "+1" would assure that each attack did some damage...

but I was just guessing, so don't quote me

------------------
-cfalcon

"What's important... Is to love each card..."
-Ronald, lamenting his loss in Ishihara's house, Pokémon Trading Card Game

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 05-12-2000 12:04 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know one of the issues seemed to be that if you went over a certain maximum, it flipped around back to zero, like the old arcade games.

There were other oddities, but I can't remember them all now...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 05-12-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porcupine:

Are you sure you didn't make a mistake when you calculated the range of damages for your scenario? It is really easy to make a mistake, and the new BDF should be accurate to the exact point of damage. Did you take into account the stats of the pokemons and round down accordingly? You have to round down every time you make a division.

Well regular damage came out perfect,
critcal hits are perfect.
Reflect/LightScreen seems a tad off. I'm just guessing the placement of Reflect/LightScreen should be somewhere else in the BDF. For now, I'm just dividing regular damage by two.

Plus I have to rearange the whole thing to round down...ugh. I just figured out how to round, but not down.

------------------
AIM: MewtwoSama
It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies.

Chicken Mcnugget Tuesdays

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-13-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Light Screen and Reflect divide L by 2
-Givera

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.