The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Help with memory structure...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with memory structure...
Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-07-2000 07:18 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd like to write a program that would hack RBYG games (and possibly GS) to allow new attacks, pokemon to learn attacks they normally cann't, etc... but I know little about the lay out of the memory so if anyone would help me by giving me whatever information they can I'd be greatly appreciative and give you full credit where due... Thanx ahead of time...
-Givera

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-08-2000 04:06 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlmiddleton:
Also, if there are any websites on this, it would be helpful.

There is one, but it's very new and very small at the moment. It's here. Still waiting 'til the webmaster can find time to get more of it online.

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2000 08:42 AM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanx 4 the help guys! I've decided to focus my attention to G/S hacking... I've already found the location of the base stats and types for pokemon (And I *THINK* TM compatibility) I'll look into finding attacks and the rest of the pokemon information later... I need to finish my HW... Uh oh it's due in less than an hour!!
-Givera

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-08-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are the maps stored in the rom or the ram.

Naturally, all of the maps are stored in the ROM. However, they also appear on page 6 of the RAM (I think that Game Shark refers to them as pages), so they show up in both.

--Meowth346

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-09-2000 07:30 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way pages are is:
Location 69372 = Page 6

At least, that's my guess. I've never actually seen a gameshark before.

--Meowth346

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-09-2000 06:05 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just typed random numbers. I've never looked into a saved file before.

--Meowth346

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alright I thought I'd just update the info I've found looking through the rom - I've found the location of the moves learned and evolution requirements for pokemon, the base stats, type, and the TM's compatibility (I'm not finished figuring this out though...).
I have been curious about a few things - First is the layout for evolution and abilities learned (Oddly enough far away from the base stats etc) has no concrete structure (I.E. every entry for Pokemon's Base Stats and other Information is exactly 20 bytes) - It simply seperates entries by 00... I'd assume I'd be able to replace abilities and evolutions as long as it follows the correct pattern and is the same size (or smaller??) than the original entry... My question though is does the game "know" where abilities for a given pokemon should be? If so then evolutions and abilities learned could only be changed or removed - They couldn't be added... anyone have any information on this? I'm gonna test this later today/night if there are no replies...
Second, anyone know where any other information (Items sold at stores, attack stats, etc.) in the ROM is located? Or anything I (or someone else) should find that can be hacked?? Any help would be appreciated - BTW Meowth you wouldn't happen to still have any notes you took on the breeding compatibility charts would you? If you could send them to me ( KingR0bert@AoL.Com ) I'd REALLY appreciate it! I'm sure your notes are pretty cryptic (I know mine are :P) but I should be able to work through them anyways!
-Givera

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-09-2000 09:21 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Givera:
BTW Meowth you wouldn't happen to still have any notes you took on the breeding compatibility charts would you?

They're all scribbled on college rulled papers, which I can't send through the e-mail ^_^ Some people may prefer typing informaiotn, but I just prefer writting it down into my trusty notebooks.

quote:
How did you find out things in the RAM.

I use the NO$GMB emulator for DOS.

--Meowth346

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meowth346:
They're all scribbled on college rulled papers, which I can't send through the e-mail ^_^ Some people may prefer typing informaiotn, but I just prefer writting it down into my trusty notebooks.

In that case - you wouldn't mind at least posting the more important information (I.E. Format and Location) or whatever you can would you? I wouldn't mind working out the rest of the information - I just need a starting place Thanx
-Givera

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-10-2000 12:55 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'll gather up some of the info when I get better. I'm sick at the moment, and don't feel up to trying to read my notes.

--Meowth346

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-11-2000 01:12 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can goto the text for Hyper Beam, and see what refers to it.

Oh, if only it were that easy, ne? But it's not. There's a lot more pointers to search for, and I'm pretty sure that finding Text in Pokémon doesn't point to proprties associated with what the text associates with.

Ack, did I confuse anybody there?
--Meowth346

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-11-2000 08:14 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're not confusing ROM with RAM, are you, mlmiddleton? ROM is information that makes up the game's data, and cannot be changed. RAM, however, is the changing save data, which can easily be changed with a Gameshark or PAR. NO$GMB reveals the RAM, and opening up a game in a HEX editor presents you with the ROM. And while you can use the RAM to find the ROM, it's not always an easy task.

--Meowth346

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:24 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, the RAM is on the lower lefthand corner. (on NO$GMB) On the left hand side of the screen, there are values that at the begining are marked: ROM0. But the values only go up to FFFF. While opening in a HEX editor, it goes up much further than that. So no, I don't think I have the 2 mixed up. I think the ROM changes done in that program are only temporary. Also, how do I change MAP0 to a gameshark page number? (MAP0 is on both ROM and RAM.)

The ROM is all those wierd "computer language" commands in the middle (IIRC - I haven't used NO$GMB recently) - BTW That's Z80 assembly - The *RAM* (Not ROM) only goes upto FFFF... Also everything originates in the ROM, it's then looked up when necessary and stored in the RAM, and played around with - Nothing can edit the ROM (Hence the name ROM - Read Only Memory) Gameshark edits RAM... So all maps START in the ROM and when they are supposed to appear on screen they are looked up and loaded into the RAM and moved around and played around with as stuff happens (E.G. You move, cut grass, someone else moves, pickup an item, etc...)
If you want to change something to a gameshark code find the appropriate spot in the RAM (E.G. 254f, 14ed, etc...) and find out what it should be changed to to get the appropriate result (E.G. 25, 3f, 4d, etc...) then you put it in the gameshark in this pattern: The first two numbers are always 01, followed by the appropriate value (In HEX), followed by the location in reverse (LH) form (I.E. 254f becomes 4f25, 14ed becomes ed14, etc...) and you've got your code...
Oh BTW the ONLY exception to the "ROM never changes" is Flash-ROM (Like your saved game)... Flash-ROM is BASICALLY a small HD (I know they're different but they're similar in use)... Whenever you save your game the GB erases the Flash-ROM then rewrites the appropriate data.
-Givera

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.