The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Badge-Stat Upgrades

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Badge-Stat Upgrades
Psyanyde
Farting Nudist
Member # 325

Member Rated:
posted 05-01-2000 09:43 PM      Profile for Psyanyde   Author's Homepage   Email Psyanyde   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just curious, what do certain badges increase stats by? Does anyone know?

I doubt you've done testing on this, being in the 1-Player game and all, but it'd still be nice to know.

------------------
~Psyanyde, leading cause of death of ignorant newbies worldwide.

The Team v. 1.5:
~Electrode~ Mr.T, fool
Screech, Explosion, T-Bolt, T-Wave
~Porygon~ SourceCode
Recover, Substitude, Sharpen, Double-Edge
~Poliwrath~ PoppinFrsh
Submission, Hypnosis, Amnesia, Hydro Pump
~Gengar~ !v)-(o;l
Seismic Toss, D-Team, Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray
~Mew~ ([Hermes])
Transform, Toxic, Softboiled, Blizzard
~Jynx~ dRaG kWeEn
Lovely Kiss, Blizzard, Psychic, Reflect
Go ahead. Rate it. It's OKAY to be off-topic!

From: http://california.north.com/ small.html | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-01-2000 11:05 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A badge multiplies a stat, in-battle, by 9/8.

I've got full details at this page.

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

Psyanyde
Farting Nudist
Member # 325

Member Rated:
posted 05-02-2000 08:20 PM      Profile for Psyanyde   Author's Homepage   Email Psyanyde   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks dude.

...sorry for the short post. It's a habit of mine. Nothing to do with posts, mind you.

------------------
~Psyanyde, leading cause of death of ignorant newbies worldwide.

The Team v. 1.5:
~Electrode~ Mr.T, fool
Screech, Explosion, T-Bolt, T-Wave
~Porygon~ SourceCode
Recover, Substitude, Sharpen, Double-Edge
~Poliwrath~ PoppinFrsh
Submission, Hypnosis, Amnesia, Hydro Pump
~Gengar~ !v)-(o;l
Seismic Toss, D-Team, Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray
~Mew~ ([Hermes])
Transform, Toxic, Softboiled, Blizzard
~Jynx~ dRaG kWeEn
Lovely Kiss, Blizzard, Psychic, Reflect
Go ahead. Rate it. It's OKAY to be off-topic!

From: http://california.north.com/ small.html | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
zapjol
Farting Nudist
Member # 236

Rate Member
posted 05-02-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for zapjol     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think this is carried over to statium?

------------------
Jolteons the best!
T-bolt
T-wave
Focus energy
Toxic

*ZAP sent out Jolteon*
*out comes mewtwo*
*Toxic*
*focus energy*
*T-bolt*
*T-bolt*
*mewtwo fanted*

From: The top of Mt. Olympus | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-02-2000 09:35 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also wonder how the badges work, even though it is for 1P only it is still important to know. I'm glad someone besides me asked this question!

Meowth346, you can read the RAM data for your stats right? When you look at your pokemon's stats the normal way, you can never see the effect of badges on your stats, even inside a battle. But does the stats increase show up in the RAM when you read it, Meowth346?

I wonder if the "stat-bleeding" effect for 1P games is related to having badges.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2000 01:40 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I find somewhat dumb about this is, what's the point of having the stat upgrades in the 1 player game only? Eventually the Pokemon you train become more powerful level wise than the computer's anyway. IMHO, the stat upgrades would be more practical in the link battles. Most people have every badge anyway.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-03-2000 10:14 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zapjol:
Do you think this is carried over to statium?

I would have to do some testing to see, but my best guess would be that it is *not* carried over. However, I can't be sure without testing.

quote:
Originally posted by Porcupine:
When you look at your pokemon's stats the normal way, you can never see the effect of badges on your stats, even inside a battle. But does the stats increase show up in the RAM when you read it, Meowth346?

Out of battle, you can see your stats, and, of course, no badge-enhancement is shown. Then, in battle, I'm sure that it displays the same stats. However, if you look at the stats for the in-battle Pokémon in the RAM, you do in fact see a change.

I think these are the RAM locations to check:
D025 Attack greater
D026 Attack lesser
D027 Defense g
D028 Defense l
D029 Speed g
D02A Speed l
D02B Special g
D02C Special l

If you have NO$GMB, and know how to use the RAM-checking feature (may only be available on registered versions, I'm not sure), then check these locations with various badges. For example, check with and without Boulder Badge. The "without Boulder Badge" value should be your normal value, and th "with Boulder Badge" value should be "1 1/8" or "9/8" that value.

Of course, to edit badges:
D356 = 00 = No Badges
D356 = FF = All Badges

These RAM locations apply to the English Red/Blue versions. Just subtract 1 from the last number in the value (D356) to convert it to Yellow Version.

quote:
Originally posted by Crimzonite:
what's the point of having the stat upgrades in the 1 player game only?

I'll have to check for the Stat-change to see if it's apparent in linked battles. I would think that if it's not there, that that makes it fair for two people battle, yet only one has the Boulder Badge, etc.

--Meowth346

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2000 04:41 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, you're right! I can see the RAM with no$gmb duh! Haha. I have to figure out how to use it though but I think it's just that weird window that is always there on the menu screen in the bottom-right.

The stat change must not be there. I have tested before, 2P game, with one player with no badges and one player with all badges, and they are the same strength. Also all the Azure Heights people say the same thing.

Since you CAN see the actual change (9/8) of your stats in RAM from the badges, maybe the stat-bleeding effect that also shows up in the RAM is a direct result of the badges.

Lemme review your Screech results on that other topic, Meowth346. Will post here in a minute...

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2000 04:51 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe later on, you should try the same tests with the same pokemon, but have someone Tail Whip you instead of Screech. Then we can compare results. Also, you mentioned earlier that the test pokemon you used had badges. Can you show us his normal stats without the badges bonus in the RAM?

Maybe what happens, is that everytime your pokemon is affected by a stat-change, IF you have any badges that are working (in 1P game), the game has a bug where it gives you more badges. So, if you got Screeched once, it becomes as if you had 2 of each badge. Then, if you get Screeched again, it becomes as if you had 3 of each badge. Or something like that.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-03-2000 07:34 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't remember who I used (either Charmander, another, or Butterfree, that's my test team). However, I could easily resimulate everything, and test with more variable changes. Maybe...if I get bored enough to do so later, I will.

--Meowth346

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2000 09:22 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also wonder when badges apply in 1P games...do they always apply? Or maybe they only work against wild pokemon, and not against CPU trainers. You could probably easily check this in the RAM.

I wonder why, in 1P game, beating a CPU trainer's pokemon gives you 1.5x more EXP than an equivalent wild pokemon (of same level and species)? There must be some reason for it. In addition I feel the CPU trainers pokemon is stronger than an equivalent wild pokemon.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-03-2000 09:24 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Meowth346, why don't you try this test first, it should be really easy for you:

Get rid of your badges, and then see if you still get "stat-bleeding" effect.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-03-2000 09:59 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My level 7 Bulbasaur vs a level 2 or 3 Rattata. Attack used...Tail Whip. Badges, 0. Stat changes for, respectively, Attack; Defense; Speed; Special:
0C-0C-0C-0C-0C-0C
0D-08-06-05-04-03
0C-0C-0C-0C-0C-0C
0F-0F-0F-0F-0F-0F

On the far left is the opening stats. Then over is after the first round, then next over second, third, fourth. After Defense reached 03, Tail Whip refused to lower my Bulbasaur's Defense any further.

Note:
This test/trail was somewhat inaccurate. My Pokémon on all of my games on the computer are on low levels. However, my brother's game has higher leveled Pokémon (around 30 or so), which I could/should do some testing on.

Conclusion:
Given the possible inaccuracies, the "Stat-Bleeding" occurance seems to be based on which badges you have.

As for Trained Pokémon in battles, I've got formulas for them somewhere. I think it's just a bunch of "Times 1.5", though, but I'll check later if I remember. Also, money won from battles is the level of the Trainer's last Pokémon times a number given to that Trainer (every Lass has the same number as every other Lass, every gym Leader's number is 100, etc...)

--Meowth346

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-04-2000 04:41 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HURRAY! So I was right all along, and the Gym Badges are probably the cause of the "stat-bleeding" effect!!! ^_^

I see what you mean though, about needing to do a better test with a higher level pokemon, to be sure.

Your test showed something else useful too. After only 5 Tail Whips your Bulbasaur's Defense didn't get any lower. That is probably because his defense is so low that 5 or 6 Tail Whips both gives 3.x => 3 Defense left. I'm curious, did the game say "But, nothing happened!" for the 6th Tail Whip? I think the game still says that it lowers defense even though it doesn't. Not sure tho.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-04-2000 05:12 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup, it said that lil' "Nothing Happened" message. It may have been in Japanese (I was playing the Japanese version), but it was still highly recognizable ^_^

--Meowth346

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.