The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » I traded Lugia from Pokémon Green to Gold!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I traded Lugia from Pokémon Green to Gold!
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-26-2000 05:20 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pokémon Green is my "glitch game". I try ALL of the glitches there. Getting Mew along Route one *really* messed things up, and by now most of my Pokémon that I use are MissingNo.s (called KETSUBAN in Japanese), or are just glitches.

Gold is my new version "glitch game". Now, I know that Azure's not into Gold/Silver info yet, but I figured I'd mention something neat that I found when I traded between my "glitch games".

I took a glitch that I caught on Green. I had named him "GURITCHU" (GLITCH), so I don't remember his original name. I wanted to trade him to Gold to see him on there, but then thought, "Wait! If I'm correct...he'll become one of the new Pokémon!"

So, "So long, GURITCHU!" I cried out, knowing that if he became a new Pokémon, I could never trade him back to my Green version again.

Gold version. Receiving Pokémon. And...is it Sereby? Is it Houou? Is it Otachi? No, it's Lugia! I got a Lugia! Yeys!

Another glitch became Chikoriita, and another Pichu. Guess I'll have to do some highly extensive searching for my Game Genie (which I haven't seen since before Pokémon's Japanese release), so that I can catch all of the MissingNos. and trade away, and get a listing of this.

And for anyone with the Japanese versions of the game, the guy that became Pikachu had a "9" as the first letter of its name when caught. I didn't think to check its attacks. Maybe later.

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2000 07:33 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I had this theory a long time ago that something like this would work. The hex chart has to be a big old 2x151 array, as the old and new monsters don't have the same hex values. So putting an illegal value would cause it to reference something entirely different, and it would (hopefully) interpret that as a pokemon.

Not having two Jap carts, I couldn't test it...

I'm hoping they don't fix this one for the US release, as people could probably turn their MISSINGNO. into something useful.

Nice finding, Meoth!

------------------
-cfalcon

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 04-26-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chances are, if the hex numbering system for Pokemon in R/B/Y (where 15 = Mew, 82 = Mewtwo, etc.) is the game in G/S, then all the numbers that used to come up as Missingno probably come up as meaningful Pokemon now.

Some of these numbers are 00 (the only one that comes up as Block 'M Chip), 1F, 20, 32, 34, 38, 3D, 3E, 3F, 43, 44, 45, 4F, 50, 51, 56, 57, 5E, 5F, 73, 79, 7A, 7F, 86, 87.

My theories:

00 will probably still come up as a glitch or rejected by G/S.
34 might be Bubi, the one that evolves into Magmar.
56 or 57 could be Pichu.

The others could come up as anything...

I don't have G/S so I really don't have a clue.

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa
-----------------------
Kamek is about to use MEWTWO!
Will ASH change Pokemon? (Yes/No/ItDoesntMatterCuzMewtwosCheapAnyhow)

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pipian
unregistered

posted 05-01-2000 08:14 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I figure that it's just that Gold will transfer from the original code locations and that there is some sort of translation table (Compare Gameshark Pokemon codes for Bulbasaur between Gold and Green). As a result, Missingnos, which have unregistered code locations in the table, get translated as if they were in Gold/Silver locations, hence Lugia and other new pokemon. For example:

Pokemon: R/G/B Code -> G/S Code

Bulbasaur: 99 -> 01
Missingno at F9 -> F9, Lugia.

If this were true, then 00, FC-FF Missingnos (If any) would reveal Gold/Silver Glitches (FB is 252, the Egg spot.)

------------------

IP: Logged
Serebii
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 378

Rate Member
posted 05-05-2000 10:14 PM      Profile for Serebii   Email Serebii   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is pretty cool Meowth, but Glitchs can be really unperdictible right? In Red and Blue, if you catch/see Missingno. then you look at the Hall of Fame, then you see RANDOM shots of Pokemon, ppl or glitchs. i say Glitchs are unpredictible. Try it again Meowth and see if you get Lugai again.

------------------
Serebii's Email:
Serebii@home.com

Serebii's ICQ:
ICQ me if you want!

A Tribute to Kuririn, who fought bravely against Frieza, died, and was buried.

Pokemon aren't looking for Masters, only Friends...
-Satoshi Tajiri

The Ultimate Pokemon...

Serebii

From: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-05-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was going to trade every glitch over, but then thought, "Why waste the time?" I looked through Silver's ROM data and found a Red/Green Hex to Gold/Silver Hex. So, that makes things a *lot* easier for me to make up a chart.

--Meowth346

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-07-2000 06:13 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey I just ripped the info straight from the ROM and here's the results i got (I only posted numbers that would result in guys who aren't present in RBYG - The number on the left is id # from RBYG and on the right is the # for GS):

0 201
31 212
32 213
50 214
52 250
56 215
61 216
62 217
63 218
67 219
68 220
69 221
79 222
80 223
81 224
86 225
87 226
94 227
95 228
115 229
121 230
122 231
127 232
134 233
135 234
137 235
140 236
146 237
156 238
159 239
160 240
161 241
162 242
172 243
174 244
175 245
181 246
182 247
183 248
184 249
191 152
192 153
193 154
194 155
195 156
196 157
197 158
198 159
199 160
200 161
201 162
202 163
203 164
204 165
205 166
206 167
207 168
208 169
209 170
210 171
211 172
212 173
213 174
214 175
215 176
216 177
217 178
218 179
219 180
220 181
221 182
222 183
223 184
224 185
225 186
226 187
227 188
228 189
229 190
230 191
231 192
232 193
233 194
234 195
235 196
236 197
237 198
238 199
239 200
240 201
241 202
242 203
243 204
244 205
245 206
246 207
247 208
248 209
249 210
250 211
251 202
252 202
253 250
255 0

Obviously it's all in decimal (I'm too lazy to convert it back to hex). The memory offset for the table starts at FB9E7 - Open the ROM in a hex editor then add the pokemon's id number for RBYG to the memory location and that's where you'll find his number for GS. I'm not sure about the ones nearing the end as they start to repeat so if someone would check that out for me I'd greatly appreciate it!
-Givera

(UPDATE!) I was looking my info over while DLing Japanese text support for TeamPA's site and noticed not all of the numbers lined up right... I looked a bit more into it and realized the program I wrote to "decompress" the game data had a bug in it... this is the CORRECT transfer table - please no one flame me for my mistakes... and I was feeling so proud I made a major contributation!

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

[This message has been edited by Givera (edited 05-07-2000).]

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-07-2000 06:15 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW - I did all that work in just the last 5 minutes Oh Yea! If anyone is curious about how I got all that information found out - Go ahead and ask me or email me! (I'm so glad I finally made a (IMO) major contribution to this website!)
-Givera

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one
"My Mewtwo's slower than yours because he just had his way with that cute eevee over there, and now he's tired" -CFalcon making a pun on how sex (gender) affects stats

[This message has been edited by Givera (edited 05-07-2000).]

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I dunno the details of the MissingNo. trick for R/B. Can you use it to get Mew? What MissingNo. pokemon's can you get? Can you get all of them, and thus get any pokemon in Gold/Silver this way via TimeCapsule?

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TeeJay
Farting Nudist
Member # 265

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 07:47 AM      Profile for TeeJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whoa. Most of this is way over my head. But if I took a Missingno. I caught on Blue and brought it to my Gold, I would get any Pokemon depending on the hex, or just Lugia?

------------------
Smile, it will be the last time you do once you fight me -TeeJay

From: Overland Park, Kansas, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-09-2000 06:20 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm horrible at explaining, but here goes:

In the Red/Blue/Green/Yellow games, therre are 256 Pokémon. However, only 151 of them are used. This is Bulbasaur through Mew. The rest were named MissingNo. (a programming term, I think) or just left nameless (that 'm, etc.)

Pokémon Gold/Silver has 256 Pokémon, too. However, it uses more than the previous games. It uses Bulbasaur through Mew and Chikoriita though Sereby.

In RGYB, you might begin with Bulbasaur. When the game see Bulbasaur, it'll see hex value 99. For Mew, if you get one from Nintendo, the game will see hex value 15. These are just ther numbers that identiy the Pokémon.

However, things are much simpler in Gold/Silver. Bulbasaur is hex value 01 (number 1), Meowth is hex value 34 (number 52), Mew is hex value 97 (number 151), and Sereby is hex value FB (number 251).

When you trade from Red to Gold, trading Bulbasaur, the game is doing this:
Trade Red 99 to Gold 01.
Trade Mew and the games see:
Trade Red 15 to Gold 97.

Now, if you use the the trick to battling MissingNo. on Cinnabar Island, you'ss be battling hex value 50. When traded to Gold from Red, the games see:
Trade Red 50 to Gold DF.

Now, since MissingNo. isn't one of the 151 usable Red/Blue Pokémon (Bulbasaur, Mew, Vulpix, etc), do you think it'll turn into Vulpix or Zubat? No! You'd hjave to trade Vulpix or Zubat frmo Red to get them via trade on Gold.

So, if you trade away this MissingNo. you know that you will NOT get a Pokémon whose PokDex number is 1-151. That leaves 100 new Pokémon, plus 5 or so other "MissingNo."s in Gold/Silver that you might get.

In this case, you would get Teppouo, the Jet Propulsion Fish that fire from beneath Mantain's Manta Ray-like wings.

Out of breath...need water... I hope that anyone who didn't understand before...isn't totally confused now ^_^
--Meowth346

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeeJay:
Whoa. Most of this is way over my head. But if I took a Missingno. I caught on Blue and brought it to my Gold, I would get any Pokemon depending on the hex, or just Lugia?

Do you know much about GS or how the mechanics of the game work? In RBYG (For some STRANGE reason) Pokemon numbers go all over the place (I cann't remember the exact order but it's like 01 = Rhydon, 02 = Chansey, 03 = etc - No pattern) So in GS they check the number and compare it w/ this table - Now for pokemon like MissingNo. when they check their numbers they'll end up w/ new pokemon (I.E. MissingNo.'s 191-199 will become the starters pokemon in GS) So what this means (Unless they fix this for RBYG) is we can catch MissingNo.'s in RBYG with certain numbers and when they're sent through the time machine they become Lugia's and Serebii's and whatever we want! I'm going to look into moves now - I don't know if the movelisting is the same for GS as it is in RBYG (I don't think so) so we can look that table up to - And trade Lugia's etc with certain moves We'll be able to hack perfect pokemon in RBYG for use in GS LONG before GS come out then trade em and use them against everyone else's!! ...too bad newbies will start catching a lot of missingno.'s once they discover this :P ohh well... that's life for u!
-Givera

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I just checked - There's no change in moves for RBYG -> GS so you can just hack the moves onto the pokemon in RBYG as you seen for GS (I.E. Imperial Wrath = E8, Sandstorm = E9) So you only need to worry about the pokemon number
-Givera

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 05:11 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For the MissingNo. trick on Cinnabar Island, what hex number of MissingNo. will you get? What is the trick, anyway, and why does it work? (I saw a crappy version of the trick that wasn't explained well in pokemon_k.txt FAQ).

------------------

pokemarvalus
Farting Nudist
Member # 400

Rate Member
posted 05-10-2000 08:44 PM      Profile for pokemarvalus   Author's Homepage   Email pokemarvalus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey seribii . do i know you from gameshark.com's bullitin board ?

------------------

ahhhhhhhhhhh---darth maul

From: washington court house ohio america | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 05-11-2000 01:20 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MISSINGNO. is actually an error message.

After all, it is saying "Missing Number", so when you catch a Pokemon that doesn't exist, the game tells you "Missing Number" because the hex value for that Pokemon doesn't match up with a number in the Pokedex, and it assigns the Pokemon a default number of 0 and name "MISSINGNO."

The only exception is hex value 00, which ends up being "'M". It's still a Missing Number, but where the "'M" comes from is beyond me.

I wonder if the same thing happens in G/S with values above 251.

But you probably knew this already, so why am I wasting my time?

The only thing I can't figure is why Nintendo would bother making translation numbers for the "new" Pokemon.

Perhaps just as a safeguard in case anyone tried to trade Missingno from R/B/Y to G/S. Who would have thought that you could essentially catch Lugias off the coast of Cinnabar? ^_^

I hope they keep this "glitch" in the US version.

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa
-----------------------
Kamek is about to use MEWTWO!
Will ASH change Pokemon? (Yes/No/ItDoesntMatterCuzMewtwosCheapAnyhow)
http://www.kamekskastle.com

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 04:56 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone answered the question I asked, maybe I am not phrasing it right. I KNOW what MissingNo. pokemon are, and I know what hex values they can have. I was asking, if you use the Cinnabar Island trick, what hex numbers of MissingNo. pokemon will turn up, for you to catch. Obviously, if someone managed to get a G/S Lugia out of this trick and the TimeCapsule, you can get MissingNo. pokemon with hex number 184, right?

------------------

Dragonair
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 227

Rate Member
posted 05-11-2000 05:13 PM      Profile for Dragonair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the hex values are based on the letters in your name.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:41 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If so, can you name yourself in such a way that the MissingNo. pokemon you will encounter will in fact be a hex value 151 = Mew?

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:45 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is another thought. Has anyone tried to capture ALL of the possible MissingNo. pokemons #152 - #256 (or whatever they are)? Perhaps one of them is a gem, with fucking high stats to crush Mewtwo into the ground. Who cares if their picture is screwed up and it confuses the game a little, as long as it works it works.

It is probably too hard to actually capture all the pokemon. Instead we could ask Necrosaro to rip out more ROM data for these pokemons, or use Gameshark codes to give ourselves these pokemons so we can have a look for ourselves. I think probably these pokemon will have random stats, because their stats will come from memory locations meant for other things. But who knows there might be a memory block of FF FF FF FF or something for one of these MissingNo. pokemons. ^_^

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 05-11-2000 06:58 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porcupine:
Here is another thought. Has anyone tried to capture ALL of the possible MissingNo. pokemons #152 - #256 (or whatever they are)? Perhaps one of them is a gem, with f***ing high stats to crush Mewtwo into the ground. Who cares if their picture is screwed up and it confuses the game a little, as long as it works it works.

It is probably too hard to actually capture all the pokemon. Instead we could ask Necrosaro to rip out more ROM data for these pokemons, or use Gameshark codes to give ourselves these pokemons so we can have a look for ourselves. I think probably these pokemon will have random stats, because their stats will come from memory locations meant for other things. But who knows there might be a memory block of FF FF FF FF or something for one of these MissingNo. pokemons. ^_^

I'd REALLY prefer you kept the language under control! There are children present... at least I think... ANYWAYS I'll look it up - I doubt they'd be different; They all use the same number so PROBABLY all refer to the same memory location... besides if they WERE different and the ones at Cinabar Island are based on name I'm sure some people would start posting info like: "I read a walkthrough that said MissingNo. has SUPER HIGH attack and low everything else but mine has HORRIBLE attack and AMAZING Defense and Special and good speed too!" I'll pick some random MissingNo.'s and hack them platinum and compare stats; If they're the same I'm not going to bother w/ ROM hacking...
-Givera

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-11-2000 09:14 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PoKamek:
the game tells you "Missing Number" because the hex value for that Pokemon doesn't match up with a number in the Pokedex

Not quite. There are 256 Possible Hex avlues for Pokémon, and each one has a name. One of them is names BULBASAUR, and nother is names CUBONE. Then there's one called MISSINGNO., and a MR. MIME, a VULPIX, and a MISSINGNO.. In other words, MISSINGNO. is a name that's actually in there several times for Pokémon that aren't used. I don't know why they didn't name all of the unused Pokémon MISSINGNO.

quote:
I wonder if the same thing happens in G/S with values above 251.

One of them is an egg. The rest are called ?????.

quote:
The only thing I can't figure is why Nintendo would bother making translation numbers for the "new" Pokemon.

Well, if you have a Pokémon with the hex value 50, then it HAS to become something when traded to Gold/Silver. The Red/Green games orignally made in Japanese did have any safeguard to keep people from trading "glitch" Pokémon, since people weren't supposed to find them.

quote:
I hope they keep this "glitch" in the US version.

Oh, it'll most definately be in there.

--Meowth346

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-15-2000 08:10 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meowth346 wrote:

Getting Mew along Route one *really* messed things up...

How did you get Mew along Route one? I am experimenting with the MissingNo. trick right now.

Is there a GameShark code to change the name of yourself (ie ASH)? Since someone wrote changing your name can affect what MissingNo. pokemon you get.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-15-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How did you get Mew along Route one? I am experimenting with the MissingNo. trick right now.

I'd have to look it up, and I don't have time right now. But it works on the Japanese Red/Green versions only.

--Meowth346

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-16-2000 04:19 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, nevermind then. Damn those lucky Japanese pokemaniacs!

I also heard you can get Mew after collecting all 150 Pokemon in Japanese Red/Green...is it true?

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 05-16-2000 05:51 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also heard you can get Mew after collecting all 150 Pokemon in Japanese Red/Green...is it true?

No, no, no, no, no. They get their (official) Mew the same way as everyone else: traded to them. The get it from one of the two real-life Pokémon Centers in Japan. Now if only the Pokémon Centers at Sears' would do that...

--Meowth346

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.