The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Attack differences in G/S?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attack differences in G/S?
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 01:26 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I've noticed that some of the old attacks have different effects in G/S. For example, Tri Attack now has a chance of either burning, freezing, or paralyzing the enemy (the graphic for the attack shows the enemy being blasted by fire, ice, and lightning, instead of the flying triangle). And now Bite is classified as an Evil attack instead of a Normal attack (which surprised me when the Blastoise I was using in G/S super effected on an Exeggutor when I used Bite). Has anyone found any other differences in the old attacks?

------------------

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 03:15 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doubel Edge (one of my favorite attacks) is now 120 base strength instead of 100.

Blizzard has lower accuracy.

Amnesia now only doubles Special Defense, not the catagory in general.

Seismic Toss can't hit ghost types, and Night Shade can't hit normal types.

------------------
"I must go to the store to buy butter and cheese." -Zorak

-Your grey plumed friend.

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 04:28 PM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ONLY special defense? Haha! Mewtwo is officially humbled (not that I though he was cheap, just though this was funny).

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 04:29 PM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That brings up an interesting question in my mind. As we all know, Psychic lowers the target's special in the first game(s), which special stat (if it still lowers special that is) does it lower in G/S?

------------------

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 08:46 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it would probably lower special defense, that way using it will be more effective after each lowering.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 04-20-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I didn't know about the Seismic Toss/Night Shade thing, nor about the drastically reduced Accuracy of Blizzard. I knew the others though.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2000 12:08 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn:
A question: What boosts special attak?

Growth. Actually, its bad that Amnesia boost Special Defense in a way. Mewtwo's Special Defense is as low as his Defense, and now he can cover that weakness (and Barrier can cover his low Defense).

quote:

Is it Self-Suggestion, as I've heard somewhere?

I don't think so. All Psychics learn it, I think. I always thought it increased accuracy, but I'm not positive.

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In G/S, Growth does only increase special defence.

I'm quite certain that 'See Through Thoughts', as it is called, is the skill that raises special attack.

------------------

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2000 02:39 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
In G/S, Growth does only increase special defence.

According to Necrosaro's skill list, Growth's special effect is "Special Up", while Amnesia is given skill number 54. If Growth increased Special Defense, he would've given it skill number 54, I'd imagine.

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Try here: http://come.to/pokegold
I'm not sure if it was where I read that or somewhere else. This site has some more description on the attacks than Necrosaro's.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-01-2000 04:15 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Growth raises Special Attack. I am very sure. I had Parasect as one of my G/S Pokemon, and also tested because I was curious.

------------------

PokeMaster Tony
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 304

Rate Member
posted 05-04-2000 08:50 PM      Profile for PokeMaster Tony   Email PokeMaster Tony   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would make sense that Growth raises Special Attack, I mean, just think about the name.

Anyways, I know that Whirlwind and Roar (when used in a trainer battle) will take the Pokemon that is currently battling and exchange it with a random one from from your opponents belt. I think Teleport works the same way but I'm not sure.

------------------
Training Pokemon Since Late 1998. :)

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 05-04-2000 10:27 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Teleport allows you to switch pokemon w/o taking a turn to do so, this way, the opponent doesn't get a sucker hit on you.

------------------

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2000 01:53 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's good to hear. I kinda suspected that Teleport might work that way, but never tested it.
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-05-2000 07:46 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Teleport really does that, in Gold/Silver, it would be one of the most powerful moves in the game.

Roar and Whirlwind would not be any good, because you waste a turn casting it (assuming you go second, but in Red/Blue those moves always go second), and your opponent can just switch the pokemon he wants back the next turn.

But if Teleport really does go first, and wastes no turns...that'd seriously be powerful (considering that in Gold/Silver all the pokemon are more balanced and even Mewtwo can probably be defeated outright).

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-06-2000 03:11 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Roar and Whirlwind would not be any good, because you waste a turn casting it (assuming you go second, but in Red/Blue those moves always go second), and your opponent can just switch the pokemon he wants back the next turn.

Roar & Whirlwind are based on speed in R/B/Y, just like almost all other moves. (Whirlwind does, anyway, I just checked).

They are very useful in G/S, because a Pokemon loses all its stat changes when it's switched. Is that fully-Amnesiaed Mewtwo with a Substitute giving you trouble? Just Whirlwind your problems away... (Not sure if Whirlwind works through a sub, though.)

So, what would be the best Pokemon to have Teleport on? The most obvious choice would be the Support Electrode (and it can learn the TM)...

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2000 06:15 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh ya, you're right Givera! I wonder why I thought differently. I just tested it.

So I guess Whirlwind and Roar would be even better than Teleport, if you go first.

But, in G/S, if you go first and Whirlwind your enemy away, will your enemy be able to attack that turn, or do they lose their turn totally?

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-08-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops, you are White Cat, not Givera! Sorry.

Does Teleport always go first, in R/B/Y and in G/S?

------------------

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 04:35 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know it's based on Speed in RBY. Not sure about GS.
Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 08:26 AM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:

Roar & Whirlwind are based on speed in R/B/Y, just like almost all other moves. (Whirlwind does, anyway, I just checked).

They are very useful in G/S, because a Pokemon loses all its stat changes when it's switched. Is that fully-Amnesiaed Mewtwo with a Substitute giving you trouble? Just Whirlwind your problems away... (Not sure if Whirlwind works through a sub, though.)

So, what would be the best Pokemon to have Teleport on? The most obvious choice would be the Support Electrode (and it can learn the TM)...

Shame the accuracy couldnt be a bit better,or there would be some mean combo's with roar..

------------------
AIM:Argothian Wurm
"Cut gives the Grass-type a chance versus Fire-types"
-Nintendo Power

"Falcon..PUNCH!"
-cfalcon

"It's gonna be a Psybro!"
-Ash

-Argo,professional Mewtwo killer..

From: new york,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 05-09-2000 07:56 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! How many attacks are there now with G&S!?

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
pokemarvalus
Farting Nudist
Member # 400

Rate Member
posted 05-09-2000 08:02 PM      Profile for pokemarvalus   Author's Homepage   Email pokemarvalus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HOW DID YOU GET GOLD AND SILVER

------------------

ahhhhhhhhhhh---darth maul

From: washington court house ohio america | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 07:34 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Something got me thinking. What will all the people who have Blizzard Mewtwos do with G/S? Since it's less accurate, it's somewhat more of a gamble now to use it.

------------------

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 03:38 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Roar (and I'm assuming Whirlwind as well) always goes 2nd when used against the opponent, kind of like Counter or Mirror Coat. I found this out when I thought of a combo of Agility, Roar, Tacks, and some attack that is super-effective to flying types (don't ask me if this combo is possible to get on any pokémon, it's hard to tell with the so little we know on breeding). First, Agility until your Speed above 378, use Tacks, and then just Roar every turn. Since Tacks will deal damage to the opponent's pokémon every time he switches to a non-flying type, and you will always be able to get the first Roar in before the opponent has time to do anything, all you have to do is just keep whittling away at all of the opponent's pokémon. And if a flying-type comes out, use the attack that is super-effective to it. But, since Roar always goes second (probably to prevent a combo like this), it didn't work so well.

And by the way, does anyone know what pokémon learns Exploding Punch? Or is it a move like Kinesis in R/B that no pokémon learns?

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 03:49 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've read that wild Kadabra's in the Final Dungeon have kinesis, but anyhoo, Exploding Punch is the TM the Fighting gym leader gives you, so no, no one learns it.

------------------

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 04:05 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to check TMs... I was thinking about a moveset for Poliwrath with Recover (thinking maybe I could breed it from something, Seniigo or maybe even Starmie in particular), Shave Pounds, Perfect Sight, and Exploding Punch. The only big problem is Exploding Punch's low PP...

By the way, are you talking about the Kadabras in Yellow? I knew they got Kinesis, but I'm pretty sure R/B wild ones don't.

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 04:58 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno what Clear Sight is, and I dunno how One-Hit KO's work in Gold/Silver either.

Earlier I wrote that I thought Whirlwind always went 2nd, but when I tested in R/B it went according to Speed. Since I had been playing G/S most recently maybe I had been confused between the two games. =D

------------------

pokemarvalus
Farting Nudist
Member # 400

Rate Member
posted 05-10-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for pokemarvalus   Author's Homepage   Email pokemarvalus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mother ------ you god ----- ! tell me how you got G/S

------------------

ahhhhhhhhhhh---darth maul

From: washington court house ohio america | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 05-10-2000 06:28 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't mean that. Perfect Sight is exactly the same as Lock On (both of them even have the same type and PP) in that it increases the user's accuracy. Perfect Sight can be learned only by Poliwrath, Hitmonlee, and Articuno; Lock On can only be learned by Magnemite, Magneton, Porygon, Teppouo, and Porygon2. Lock On is quite usefull when combined with Electromagnetic Cannon, which can get pretty strong when used with Magneton due to his high Special Attack and the type match, I've found.

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-12-2000 06:44 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lock On/Electro Cannon vs. Thunder Wave/Thunderbolt:

Move 1: Lock On
Move 2: Electromagnetic Cannon (100 damage, opponent is paralyzed)

Move 1: Thunderwave (opponent is paralyzed)
Move 2: Thunderbolt (95 damage)

So the first way does 5 more damage, but the second way has the enemy paralyzed for an extra turn. However, this assumes that Lock On boosts your attacks 99.6% (or 100%) accuracy and keeps them there (barring later uses of accuracy-reducing moves), when it may in fact only boost them a certain percentage (say, EC from 50% to 75%), last only a few turns/one turn, or only undo the effect of previous accuracy-reducing moves. Even in the best possible circumstances for EC, I'd probably go with Wave/Bolt.

I know that a Locked On pokemon can miss when Sand Attack has been used afterwards, but I haven't done any further testing.

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 05-12-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rest makes the Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave combonation not as effective as Electromagnetic Cannon/Lock On. Besides, I'd probably use Lock On to stop Double Teamers anyway, and it saves a spot to have just Electromagnetic Cannon and Lock On as opposed to Lock On, Thunderbolt, and Thunder Wave. But, this is based on the R/B/Y environment we are used to and how Double Team is extremely popular and effective- we don't have enough information on breeding, etc. to know about the G/S environment. But I will admit that a big problem with Electromagnetic Cannon is that it has a max PP of 8.

And by the way, I'm fairly certain that the accuracy modifier works just like the one we use for that stat one, so 1 Lock On would probably yeild 1.5x accuracy, 2 would yeild 2x, etc. A Sand-Attack and 2 Lock Ons would give you 1.5x accuracy.

------------------
NeoSyrex™
[ NeoSyrex@hotmail.com ]

Aron Figaro
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 461

Rate Member
posted 05-28-2000 09:28 AM      Profile for Aron Figaro   Email Aron Figaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope, Lock On gives what Swift was in R/B/Y. Swift can no longer hit Fly/Dig, but with Lock On, anything can! Tested this, too!

------------------
- In the name of Mercury, I fight for Love and Justice!
- If this is some cosmic joke I do not see what is so amusing! -Luna

From: Joeville, Nunavut, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yavarice
Farting Nudist
Member # 420

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Yavarice   Author's Homepage   Email Yavarice   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aron Figaro:
Nope, Lock On gives what Swift was in R/B/Y. Swift can no longer hit Fly/Dig, but with Lock On, anything can! Tested this, too!

Whoa! So Swift cant hit fly/dig, but does it still hit DT/Minimizers?

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2000 01:39 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
pokemarvelous, you can import G/S from places like buyrite1.com (they aren't the best, but the only one I can think of right now).
From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.