The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Missingno. and Stadium

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missingno. and Stadium
Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 03:52 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is for anyone who isn't brave enough to try it themselves (and I don't blame ya). I tried uploading Missingno. into Pokémon Stadium and I found this out. If you look at it's data in the Pokémon Lab, its icon is the same as the Substitute icon in the battles, it even has a little picture of that icon (considering that picture, I think Nintendo planned for this). The types are all ????? and mine had ? for the level (it was higher than 100, that may have been a reason). You also can't use it in battle, if you try, it won't be listed for use (I guess they only registered 151 of them for use, not some "all" algorithm, that eliminates any glitching. Anyone else do research on this?

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 04:10 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, I did it again with a Missingno. with level 100 (so as not to worry about higher-than-100 level problems) and have found out. You STILL can't use it in battle (a good thing if you ask me) and it still can't read its level correctly. All its stats are question marks. I am pretty sure seeing as how it does have those question marks and an icon for it, that Nintendo might have programmed in some contingencies for Missinngno. use. Since it is a glitch rather than a Game Shark code, they might have figured they should do something about it. Well, at least we know it won't mess up Stadium to have a Missingno. on there.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 04:59 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what I'd guess...they put a band-aid on the game so it didn't go poking around in random RAM when you tried to use it...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 06:07 AM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep, they also fixed a few other things. I noticed that if you upload any higher-than-100 level Pokémon (aside from Missingno.) that it reduces its level to 100 and its stats to what they would be at Lv 100. If an M-block (a Missingno. with a really messed up name) is uploaded, it shows 'M as its name without gibberish characters. Also, if you look at your item lists and you have more than 99 items, it shows exactly how many you have instead of a gibberish symbol next to a number (I have about 206 Master Balls, not bragging, just an example). If you try moving more than 99 of a single item to another PC, it says "Destination Full" and reduces the number to 99, so you will need to take up two slots with the same item when it is moved. So, Nintendo seems to have done some stuff to alliviate the Missingno. problem, good for them. Also, I put a single Missingno. into the last box in my N64 just for the heck of it since it doesn't mess up my game. Just so I could say I have all 152 (well, I can say that once I get Mew anyway) Pokémon, it doesn't seem to be reverting to a Rydon either.

------------------

PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 04-19-2000 11:58 AM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reason for this is because the Substitute is actually Pokemon #152, or at least in the sprites list. From 1-151 are the regular Pokemon. 152 is the Substitute, and 153 is the Talking Pikachu sprite. Since 152 and 153 are not in the list of acceptable Pokemon for any battle, you can't use them. If the Block 'M Chip Pokemon is also shown as a Substitute, though, then I wonder what glitch Pokemon will show up as Talking Pikachu. Try some Gameshark codes to catch "non-Pokemon" if you dare to investigate further. BTW, the reason the M Block doesn't show up as garbage is because the characters in M Block's name actually showed up as certain patterns/tiles on the Game Boy screen, which was why it kept changing whenever you sent out a Pokemon -- and if you looked closely you could probably notice this, perhaps even see what part of the Pokemon is being displayed in Block's name.

Oh well, just my $0.02.

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dark Jaguar
Farting Nudist
Member # 187

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Dark Jaguar   Email Dark Jaguar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a possibility, but I still think perhaps Nintendo perpasly fixed the glitch for Stadium, and 'M does appear as a substitute too, its nice to be able to turn that image around for the heck of it. Also, I think the images that those gibberish symbol are using are from Ash's picture (the "enemy" version). I don't have a Game Shark, and I don't want one either, just trying a few things with "official" stuff. Also, in Stadium those aren't sprites, those are polygon models (the all-time simplest being porygon).

------------------

PoKamek
Farting Nudist
Member # 257

Rate Member
posted 04-19-2000 03:21 PM      Profile for PoKamek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm used to saying sprites. I should say models instead.

------------------
Kamek, Master Magikoopa

From: Koopa Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.