The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Hypothetical Critical Hit formula

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypothetical Critical Hit formula
Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 04-01-2000 10:24 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chance of a CH= Speed/10xLevel

The one I was using before was Speed divided by 1000, but as someone pointed out, it would mean that CHes almost never occur at the lower levels.

It's only a guess anyways, based on Mewtwo's chance of a CH.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.
- Do you believe in Goddish?

The Kitty Litter Box.
http://catgonk.cjb.net/
- GOT KITTY?

"...I'm ghetto like a high-school dropout,
When hoes be fighting and they tittie pop out..."
- "Ghetto Boy"

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-02-2000 12:23 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you tried a level 100 PKMN vs a level 2 PKMN? Both almost ALWAYS get a Critical hit. Level 25 vs 75 you still get CHs a bit, but with level 50 vs 50, or 30 vs 30, or 82 vs 82, you near-never get a critical hit. So, my works on Critical Hits have been based on levels. I've got a forumla that sort of says: The higher the level difference = the better change of a CH.

I hope to have it all online soon.
--Meowth346

------------------

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I have to say about Criticals is yesterday some girl beat me because her Charizard ALWAYS criticaled against my Pokémon.... And killed my fully Amnesied Mewtwo with a critical Fire Blast.... all Pokémon were at Lv. 100....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 12:38 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of My Snorlaxs, Sir Rupert, Has the lowest possible speed of any pokémon in the entire game. He very rarely gets a Critical hit. I noticed that In the elite four, your rival's Alakazam gets a lot. Once He had Three critical hit Psychics on me in a row. I restarted My Gameboy and tried it again, and He got another two. Iy anyone of you would be interested in the probility of Sir Rupert getting a Critical hit, Than I could help you out.

------------------
If I had a Snorlax, I'd use him as a Bed

Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 05:35 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Chs are decided by speed and using focus energy. I also noticed that fire and psychic types seem to get them more then other types so there is a slight possibility that type or special could be involved.

------------------
The empty §ig of Jigglypuff!

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 08:43 PM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is what I've been using for NeoBattle:

10HF(S - 5)/L

Where:
H = 3 if the move has a high % of critical hits, such as Slash; 1 if the move is normal.
F = 1 if Focus Energy has not been used or if the attack has a high CH rate and your pokémon is faster or equal in speed than the opponent; 0 in all other situations
S = The pokémon's base speed
L = Level

------------------

From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slick 66
Farting Nudist
Member # 70

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Slick 66   Email Slick 66   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I had that same formula in my head a while now (AEC-Gonk's). But that level difference is probably speed difference, or even an average of stats or DV....

Maybe something like that, I dunno.

------------------
~Slick has spoken~

...or so they say...

Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 04-03-2000 02:26 AM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk:
Chance of a CH= Speed/10xLevel

The one I was using before was Speed divided by 1000, but as someone pointed out, it would mean that CHes almost never occur at the lower levels.

Interesting theories, CG. Have you seen the CH submenu on BattleMu? All those values are L100 max Speed divided by 10 (or 1000 if you wanted to make them a %). Mu credits Dreadite with the information, but doesn't say where he got it, or how it's used. The implication seems to be that the value is to be used at all levels, which squares with some data I have: I compared CH rates for a L50 Ditto and a L100 Ditto, and they were basically identical. Unfortunately, the rate found was not the 19% listed on the submenu, but a mere 7%. Porcupine has suggested that perhaps your pokemon's DV and/or stat exp are relevant. Thus, training matters even if level doesn't.

This clearly bears a little more testing. One other finding from the work I did: when the Dittos used Karate Chop (GS-taught), the CH frequency was about 10x greater than when using Horn Attack.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wintermute (edited 04-03-2000).]

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
pkthunder
I look like your mom.
Member # 67

Member Rated:
posted 04-04-2000 05:39 AM      Profile for pkthunder   Author's Homepage   Email pkthunder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From my own observations, I think that CH's are also based on victim's remaining hit points. I might just be imagining things, but it seems like if your opponent is at less than 50% max hp, than you have a better chance at a critical hit.

------------------
Will this ice ever melt?

From: Broomfield, CO | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-04-2000 02:15 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
not me. I always get my critical hits when the opponent has .5% of his hitpoints remaining... or when my mew is fully swords danced

------------------
If I had a Snorlax, I'd use him as a Bed

Wizzymoto
Farting Nudist
Member # 60

Member Rated:
posted 04-04-2000 07:12 PM      Profile for Wizzymoto   Email Wizzymoto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So why do faster pokes get more critical hits then??? Is it because most fast pokes are low in attack.

------------------
"I thought you said you were gonna watch a video"
"We did, an video on how to make your own sausge"

From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
KeroKato
Farting Nudist
Member # 230

Member Rated:
posted 04-04-2000 08:23 PM      Profile for KeroKato   Author's Homepage   Email KeroKato   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fast Pokes getting more crits since they're weak makes no sense since CHs also occur with Special based moves. Attack has nothing to do with it.

------------------
Pikachu is used by anime fan-boys who can't fight. Mewtwo is used by those who just can't fight.
http://come.to/realitysend

From: I dunno, somewhere | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 04-05-2000 10:41 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 10,000Lb.Snorlax:
not me. I always get my critical hits when the opponent has .5% of his hitpoints remaining... or when my mew is fully swords danced

Same happens to me, only with Mewtwo and Amnesia.....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheCaptain
unregistered

posted 04-18-2000 06:12 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My friends have said thst holding down "A" on GB and on n64 while doing an attack causes a critcal. Is this true?

------------------
Et Toi?

IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-18-2000 06:23 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I seriously hope not.

Wow, would that be gay.

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-19-2000 06:04 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TheCaptain's friends are full of Tauros poop.
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-22-2000 12:42 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mentioned above that I hoped to have my Critical Hit work online soon. Well, it went up about a week ago. It doesn't really explain how I got my results (since I can't read my messy writing/notes). But if anyone's interested, you can see the work at this location.

------------------
-----
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

branners
Farting Nudist
Member # 101

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2000 05:54 AM      Profile for branners   Author's Homepage   Email branners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that happened to me too. I was using Slowbro, Snorlax, and Mewtwo, and they were all fully amnesied until they let loose with an attack.

I got critical hits ALL the time (6 turns).

It happened to me a lot, when I have amnesied or swords danced up.

------------------
E mail: branners78@hotmail.com
AIM: lllbrannerslll

'They say if we keep polluting this beautiful planet, in ten years Britain will have the climate of Ibiza. Lets make it happen.'

Innit!

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2000 06:41 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wintermute has finally nailed the formula.

I don't want to steal his thunder and post it for him, but...well, let's just wait for the report!

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpaceDog Z
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 303

Rate Member
posted 04-22-2000 11:33 AM      Profile for SpaceDog Z     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He found it?! CRAP! I was so close, too....I only needed about 1000 more trials. =P

But, just out of curiousity, was it:

P = Speed/(12.8 * Level)?

------------------

J. Thaddeus Toad
Citrus Fondler
Member # 3

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2000 01:01 PM      Profile for J. Thaddeus Toad   Author's Homepage   Email J. Thaddeus Toad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ummmm...no.

It's a tiny little bit like that, but not really.

------------------
JT Toad
Semper Absurda

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
Wintermute has finally nailed the formula.

I don't want to steal his thunder and post it for him, but...well, let's just wait for the report!

If it uses 1/16 anywhere, I'm going to hurl.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.
- Do you believe in Goddish?

The Kitty Litter Box.
http://catgonk.cjb.net/
- GOT KITTY?

"So lock up your daughters.
Lock up your wife.
Lock your back door, and run for your life."
- "T.N.T.": AC/DC.

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually SpaceDogZ's formula is not that different from Wintermute's formula IF that "Speed" in his formula is the actual Speed of your pokemon. Wintermute's formula uses Base Speed that is why he doesn't need the Level in his formula.

But there are still a lot of differences in SpaceDogZ's formula and Wintermute's regardless, although most people would consider them more minor.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.