The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » [G/S] Focus Energy vs Clear Jap Weather/Pray For Rain/Swords Dance

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [G/S] Focus Energy vs Clear Jap Weather/Pray For Rain/Swords Dance
Caos2
Farting Nudist
Member # 104

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 05:10 PM      Profile for Caos2   Email Caos2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was reading the Azure`s compedium and when I saw the Critical Hit! section I started to think:

In G/S, isn`t Focus energy better then the others increasing damage moves?

Let`s compare both:

Focus Energy

• 1 turn only to use
  • Ignores the opponent Defense and Special Defense
  • Doubles your damage
  • Not always doubles damage [I think so]

Swords Dance/Clear Jap Weather/Pray For Rain

• Takes 3 turns
  • Effects your opponent moves too [Gremio told Argo this]
  • Have secondary effects [Clear Jap Weather has 1-turn Solarbeam, etc
  • Double Damage
  • Always doubles damage
    [/list]

I think Focus Energy is way better. [My fav bug learns it!]

Caos2

------------------
    Slayer of Monsters, Avenger of the Wronged, and Lover of Easy Women.

From: Belo Horizonte | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
  • PikachuThunder
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 22

Member Rated:
    posted 03-26-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Caos2:
    I was reading the Azure`s compedium and when I saw the Critical Hit! section I started to think:

In G/S, isn`t Focus energy better then the others increasing damage moves?

Let`s compare both:

[b]Focus Energy

• 1 turn only to use
    • Ignores the opponent Defense and Special Defense
    • Doubles your damage
    • Not always doubles damage [I think so]

• Takes 3 turns
  • Effects your opponent moves too [Gremio told Argo this]
  • Have secondary effects [Clear Jap Weather has 1-turn Solarbeam, etc
  • Double Damage
  • Always doubles damage
    [/list]

I think Focus Energy is way better. [My fav bug learns it!]

Caos2

[/B]

• I think it's more like Clear Weather and Rain Dance give both Pokémon more of a weakness to their respective elements. (Clear weather increases damage from Fire, Rain Dance increases damage from Water.) Also, I think they only take one turn to get to their max.

Swords Dance... I don't see how that would affect your opponent, unless they mirror moved or something.

And Critical Hits don't ignore Def and SpecDef totally... just boosted stats from Amnesia or Defense Curl and the like. Not always Double Damage, either, since there's still a chance you won't get a Critical hit.

Even so, it's very rare for something to learn Focus Energy and one of those other attacks (and, in the case of Pray For rain/Clear Weather, to be able to have any use for it.) I don't know if you can really compare them.

------------------
    Project:Metronome

Because it's not like you have anything else better to do.

Jackdaw
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 118

Member Rated:
    posted 03-26-2000 06:38 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    Focus energy may give you critical hits, but only for one attack.
    Sword Dance gives you three uses, quadruple attack, and it lasts until switched or hazed.

Its kind of a matter of preferences, but I feel sword dance is better, especially when a multi-hittng attack is concerned (ie: pin missiles, fury swipes)

------------------
    Your avian friend,
    -Jackdaw

Phoenix
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 143

Rate Member
    posted 03-26-2000 06:45 PM      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    I don't have gold/silver and don't know much about them. I like swords dance better. Focus energy only lasts for one attack which isn't very useful.

------------------
    I am Phoenix. Rising from the ashes to destroy all who stand in my way...

From: Houston, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
    White Cat
    Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
    Member # 42

Member Rated:
    posted 03-26-2000 09:59 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    Focus energy may give you critical hits, but only for one attack.

Focus energy only lasts for one attack which isn't very useful.

Huh? If that was true, it would be practically useless, since you might as well attack twice and get the same amount of damage. I highly doubt that the boosted CH only applies to your next attack.

Its kind of a matter of preferences, but I feel sword dance is better, especially when a multi-hittng attack is concerned (ie: pin missiles, fury swipes)

When a multi-hit attack CH's, it only says "Critial Hit!" on the first hit, but will deal double damage on all of them, IIRC. I'm not sure if this applies to the multi-turn ones (Wrap, Clamp, Fire Spin, Bind), though.

Jackdaw
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 118

Member Rated:
    posted 03-26-2000 10:18 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    I know it still counts as a critical hit for all of the attacks, but 4x attack power plus defensive modifiers (if any) seems a lot better then 2x attack power w/o modifiers.

------------------
    Your avian friend,
    -Jackdaw

cfalcon
    OLDNBLD
    Member # 19

Member Rated:
    posted 03-27-2000 07:11 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

It doesn't last for only one attack in Stadium. In order for that to be effective, they would have to have Amnesia'd / Swords Danced twice, in general..

It's pretty useful in Stadium.

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
    Porcupine
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 46

Member Rated:
    posted 04-03-2000 03:52 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    I think Focus Energy sucks, at least in Blue/Red. I do not understand Critical Hit rates enough to be sure, but whenever I used Focus Energy it did not seem to increase my chances by enough to be worth it. Investigating how Focus Energy works might be useful in determining how to calculate Critical Hit rates though...

Do you guys know how the 2 new Fire/Water moves work? Both moves can only be casted once, just like Focus Energy. They wear off after some turns, but I'm not sure how many. I think it is random turns between 2-5 or something like that, according to some sites? But then again, Sandstorm (which is not like the Fire/Water moves) lasts a set 4 turns each time it is used, so...

While in play, the Fire/Water moves change the game mechanics. ALL Special attacks will do 1/2 damage, except for one type. For the Fire move Clear Japanese Weather (or whatever u call it) all Fire moves will do 1.5x normal damage. You can guess what the Water move does.

Both these 2 moves can be removed by any other move (such as each other, or even Sandstorm) that alters the game mechanics or hangs around for a certain length of time.

Has anyone noticed that Reflect is different in Gold/Silver? Now it only lasts a few turns. Not sure how many though or if it is set or random.

IMO the new Fire/Water moves are DAMN buff. They should be used if your opponent uses a pokemon that primarily uses Special moves, so that they will really be screwed up by it.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
    Mr. K
    Racist
    Member # 2

Member Rated:
    posted 04-03-2000 10:09 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    Originally posted by Caos2:
    Focus Energy

• 1 turn only to use

• Takes 3 turns

Sword's Dance is a "greatly", so one use of it is roughly equivalent to one use of Focus Energy. Two uses of Focus Energy seems to be worthless, tho, whereas two uses of Dance pumps up the attack power even more.

------------------
    KOFFING!
    Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

[This message has been edited by Mr. K (edited 04-03-2000).]

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
    White Cat
    Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
    Member # 42

Member Rated:
    posted 04-05-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    While in play, the Fire/Water moves change the game mechanics. ALL Special attacks will do 1/2 damage, except for one type. For the Fire move Clear Japanese Weather (or whatever u call it) all Fire moves will do 1.5x normal damage. You can guess what the Water move does.

Hmm... I hadn't heard anything about it reducing other Special-based attacks, and I thought it doubled the damage for the matching type. Can someone confirm which is correct? And do both effects work on both Pokemon?

Porcupine
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 46

Member Rated:
    posted 04-06-2000 07:46 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    The reason I wrote that stuff about the 2 new Fire/Water moves, is that I have seen them described incorrectly on practically every site I've been to. They can be very very powerful moves and they deserve to be recognized. There are LOTS of new powerful moves in Gold/Silver though that I have no idea of and have never seen before...I hope someday someone writes a REALLY GOOD description of all the new moves. The Fire/Water/Sandstorm move descriptions is probably one of the only worthwhile contributions I can make, cause I have a Rodent team in Gold/Silver hahaha. (Bakufuun, Marill, Sandslash, Raichu, etc) =D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure about what I wrote. In addition, casting the same move twice will have no effect. I'm not sure if it will prolong the # of turns the move is in effect, though. I tested but I forgot haha.

The effects work for both pokemon. So, if you cast Clear Japanese Weather and your enemy is using a Charizard you may have wasted your turn...

Have you noticed that Ash's Venusaur knows Clear Japanese Weather?! Multiple Gold/Silver CPU trainer pokemon's know weird moves. I am not even sure if Venusaur can learn that move as a TM (it is a TM)...can he?

------------------

Porcupine
    Farting Nudist
    Member # 46

Member Rated:
    posted 04-06-2000 07:57 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    Hey BTW I just saw the new Focus Energy section on Azure Heights webpage!! It says that the move is BROKEN and does the opposite of what it's supposed to do! Hahahaha!! No wonder it always sucked for me.

------------------

Mr. K
    Racist
    Member # 2

Member Rated:
    posted 04-07-2000 03:56 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
    Yeah, it's said that for a long time...the update was the added part below, that mentions how it actually works in Stadium.

------------------
    KOFFING!
    Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
    Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
    Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.