The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » G & S predictions

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G & S predictions
Kasuto
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 146

Rate Member
posted 03-24-2000 10:14 PM      Profile for Kasuto   Email Kasuto   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. Evil type isn't going to stay evil. The Moral Mafia is a big enough lobby to make NOA a little paranoid (And a lot of other companies). . .It's gonna get translated as something more innocuous. (And no, "Devil" and "Demon" are *not* more innocuous). What's the original Japanese? "Oni"? Mebbe it'll get translated as "Monster", even though that seems a little redundant. . .

Anyways, the real point of this post is, I was wondering if someone could point me to the source code for a damage calculator? Specifically, the battle chart in a code friendly format. . .something I can cut and paste.

I wrote a program to total up the number of pokemon an attack is strong against, but it's very rough due to a very poor table. That thing is really boring to transcribe.

Anyways, I wanna extend it to include the 100 new pokemon, and I think I can make a prediction about which type of attack will be most popular come the metallics.

Sorry for babbling,

------------------
Isn't it cool how all the villages in the Adventure of Link are the names of characters in Ocarina of Time? Well...almost.

Kasuto.

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 04:38 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking Dark or Shadow.

Evil is so pure, though.

Seriously, I have been severely impressed by Pocket Monsters Silver. I'm wondering what NOA will do to make this game suck (they've gotta whip something out...)

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kirby1024
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 98

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 12:46 AM      Profile for Kirby1024   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If NOA keeps it as evil they will earn my total respect for all time.

Of course, Nintendo's lifeline is the players, and the amount of Pokémon players have to be more than the MM. If someone started a lobby to KEEP it as Evil, who would they listen to?

------------------

From: Wantirna Sth, Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Avalanche
Farting Nudist
Member # 38

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 01:39 AM      Profile for Avalanche   Author's Homepage   Email Avalanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll tell you what they did to make it suck, having it possible to have Electrode with Spore. People will just use Gameshark to hack up one and then all sense of stategy will be destroyed. I hope they do something about this, as people have sworn off pokemon just due to the cheapness of Mewtwo...

------------------

From: Catherdral City, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 09:32 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought you could you use a gameshark to give any pokemon any attack any ways in R/B/Y? I don't really know, i don't have one, I just think i saw the code somewhere...

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

NeoSyrex
Farting Nudist
Member # 52

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 09:43 AM      Profile for NeoSyrex   Author's Homepage   Email NeoSyrex   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avalanche:
I'll tell you what they did to make it suck, having it possible to have Electrode with Spore. People will just use Gameshark to hack up one and then all sense of stategy will be destroyed. I hope they do something about this, as people have sworn off pokemon just due to the cheapness of Mewtwo...

Uh, this isn't possible because Electrode is genderless, and thus cannot breed. And even if he could, it wouldn't matter since in G/S a pokémon can attack as soon as it wakes u[, so Substitute would be neccassary for Electrode to survive. But if the opponent doesn't attack, but uses a move like Mysterious Protection, Double Team, etc., then Electrode would be screwed.

-NeoSyrex

------------------

From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Well you can already shark any move on any monster. The point is that if electrode could technically be bred with a SPORE attack, then everyone would just shark it onto them and say they did it.

Electrode can't breed however (that's why he's so angry), raising the question of where they come from if 1/4 of the time when they see an enemy they blow themselves apart in some manner or other.

Electrode possesses much honor.

One type electric, one Mewtwo!

Seriously, I've heard that you can't breed wierd moves past a certain point. I wouldn't swear off Gold and Silver just yet. My personal experience has been positive, and while NCL has disapointed in the past, they seem to have a winner here... I think the jury is still out until someone posts all the rules of breeding. If Meowth has it right, however, it isn't bad at all.

There is no way it will be Evil. Seriously, I'll call them up and say thanks if it is. Honest. Come on, they screwed with the *sound* effects in Smash. You think they are going to pass along a series of messages like:

-fire burns grass
-grass drinks water
-water extinguishes fire
-mental powers take out those who rely on physical attacks
-brave fighters destroy darkest evil
-Unspeakable evil shows those who seek psychic powers what evil truly lies at the heart of their minds

Which of these is going to be first to go?

-cfalcon

------------------

Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:

-fire burns grass
-grass drinks water
-water extinguishes fire
-mental powers take out those who rely on physical attacks
-brave fighters destroy darkest evil
-Unspeakable evil shows those who seek psychic powers what evil truly lies at the heart of their minds

Wow, that sounds so cool.

Anyhoo, I just thought of something. With the new 'steel element', shouldn't Electrode be steel?

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 05:23 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last one would be the first to go.

------------------
The empty §ig of Jigglypuff!

Avalanche
Farting Nudist
Member # 38

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 06:33 PM      Profile for Avalanche   Author's Homepage   Email Avalanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean t put anyone off, I was just rellaying what I heard. I just hope you guys are right...

------------------

From: Catherdral City, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2000 10:09 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that "Shadow" would be a better name for the type. It would also fit moves like Sneak Attack. "Evil" is just too obvious and bland.

Voltorb/Electrode is still just Electric, but Magnemite/Magneton are now part Steel.

Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk
Happy Good Times Fortune Happiness Happity Hocks Cat-Gonk Happifier
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 07:27 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
Anyhoo, I just thought of something. With the new 'steel element', shouldn't Electrode be steel?

I was so hoping for that....

------------------
Cat-Gonk.
- Do you believe in Goddish?

The Kitty Litter Box.
http://catgonk.cjb.net/
- GOT KITTY?

"...I'm ghetto like a high-school dropout,
When hoes be fighting and they tittie pop out..."
- "Ghetto Boy"

From: Perth, Western Australia. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll take this from my guide's table. Not sure if this is what you're after, but anyhow...

Evil attacks are strong against Ghost and Psychic, weak against Fighting, Evil and Steel

Steel attacks are strong against Ice and Rock, and weak against Fire, Water, Electric and Steel.

Evil Pokemon are weak to Fighting and Bug, and resistant to Ghost and Evil as well as being immune to Psychic.

Steel Pokemon are weak to Fire, Ground and Fighting, immune to Poison, and resistant to everything bar Water and Electric. Add that to the fact that most Steel Pokemon lose one of these weaknesses due to their subtype...

Oh, and Fire is resistant to Ice, as well as Ghost being SE against Psychic and Poison being resistant to Bug.

If you ask me, the "big" type in GS is going to be Fighting. Pity that no good fighting TMs exist...

------------------
Cat-Gonk.

The Kitty Litter Box.
- GOT KITTY?

- "Ghetto Boy"

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 02:26 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Well, the question is what fighting moves can be bred, if any.

Also, the point should be brought up that the two big killers in Gold and Silver are both Flying. Lugia is Psychic/Flying, which means that it *might* lose a couple of pixels when Machamp throws a fit...

I don't think Shadow would be too bad of a name, honestly. Evil is just more direct. Dark isn't as bad as it could be, but I like Shadow better. Let's just hope NOA doesn't decide we need type Naughty.

-cfalcon

------------------

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 05:04 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've read that for the "Evil" Pokémon in the Team Rocket card set they will use Dark and/or Mischievous..... In fact I'm pretty sure I read this from Wizards somewhere... Anyway I'd expect them to use whatever they use for the Evil Pokémon...

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 05:36 PM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk:
If you ask me, the "big" type in GS is going to be Fighting. Pity that no good fighting TMs exist...

Didn't G/S add some new Fighting TMs, and couldn't you just breed some neat Fighting attacks?

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 07:03 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Oh please, oh please, not type "Mischievous". Oh no. That's WORSE that Naughty, and I was joking!

Dark, I might be able to go with. I'd like Shadow better, and Evil better still, but any of the following would make me very, very sad:

Mischievous
Naughty
Mean
Misbehaved
Silly
Ill-Tempered
Spankable
Delinquent
Irate

I mean, they are *supposed* to be badass.

-cfalcon

------------------

PikachuThunder
Farting Nudist
Member # 22

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 09:14 PM      Profile for PikachuThunder        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh please, oh please, not type "Mischievous". Oh no. That's WORSE that Naughty, and I was joking!

Dark, I might be able to go with. I'd like Shadow better, and Evil better still, but any of the following would make me very, very sad:

Mischievous
Naughty
Mean
Misbehaved
Silly
Ill-Tempered
Spankable
Delinquent
Irate

I mean, they are *supposed* to be badass.

-cfalcon

How about "Jerk-type"?

------------------
Project:Metronome

Because it's not like you have anything else better to do.

Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 11:56 PM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About AEC-gonk's comment on steel...

Thats why Eamudo rocks(steel/flying)...he isnt affected much by fighting OR ground...ONLY one weakness....now thats awesome..too bad he cant learn iron tail....stupid flimsy metallic feathers..

I just cant understand this....Have any of you guys seen Raikou's tail?its like a strand of zig-zagged grass...how can he learn iron tail,and Eamudo,being a STEEL type cant?

------------------
AIM:argothian007wurm
"Cut gives the Grass-type a chance versus Fire-types"
-Nintendo Power

"It's gonna be a Psybro!"
-Ash

[This message has been edited by Argo (edited 03-27-2000).]

From: new york,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2000 05:05 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Argo:
Thats why Eamudo rocks(steel/flying)...he isnt affected much by fighting OR ground...ONLY one weakness....now thats awesome..too bad he cant learn iron tail....stupid flimsy metallic feathers.

I used to have Eaamudo on my proposed team, but his stats simply aren't good enough IMHO. Only thing that's above average is his defense.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.

The Kitty Litter Box.
- GOT KITTY?

- "Ghetto Boy"

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 03:08 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eaamudo is also weak to Electric attacks. (Can it learn Earthquake? That would cover both of its vulnerabilites...)

I was really excited about Eaamudo at first too. Before I even knew it existed, I said in my initail G/S type critique (based on Meowth346's chart) that a Steel/Flying combo would be very nice). However, like Cat-Gonk and Argo, I was quite disappointed by its poor stats and inability to learn Iron Tail.

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 08:20 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mischievous
Naughty
Mean
Misbehaved
Silly
Ill-Tempered
Spankable
Delinquent
Irate

You forgot type Morally-Challenged

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 03-29-2000 08:25 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh... and you can find somthing from Wizards stating that the "Evil" Pokémon in the Team Rocket set are going to be:

quote:
"dark," or mischievous

It's at http://www.wizards.com/catalog/product.asp?woc06174

Any implicaton of what's to come?

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

[This message has been edited by Volrath50 (edited 03-29-2000).]

Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2000 12:16 AM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eh...the only pokemon i know of that gets a .5 bonus iron tail is hagneeru...and considering it evolves from onix,i HIGHLY doubt stat improvement.

i dont use any steel types on my team..my raikou with iron tail covers all the steel element i need.

------------------
-Nintendo Power

-Ash

Member # 14

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Argo:
i dont use any steel types on my team..my raikou with iron tail covers all the steel element i need.

IMHO, Steel_attacks_suck. It's the Pokemon themselves which make Steel one of the best types.

------------------
Cat-Gonk.

The Kitty Litter Box.
- GOT KITTY?

- "Ghetto Boy"

Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 04-01-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All evils will probably get changed to ghost or poison and teh evil type will be forgotten.

------------------

Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 04-01-2000 07:44 PM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wrong jigglypuff....

Stupid newbie comments like that piss the hell out of me...

------------------
-Nintendo Power

-Ash

White Cat
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 03:51 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed. That had to be one of the dumbest statements I've heard in a long time.
Jackdaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 118

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 08:11 AM      Profile for Jackdaw   Author's Homepage   Email Jackdaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To maintain Jigglypuff's dignity, we should have that message deleted before permently scared.

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 10:57 AM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed, delete the message.... And wouldn't it take quite a bit of reprogramming to destroy the Evil type?

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

Silver Clefairy
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 8

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 05:22 PM      Profile for Silver Clefairy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought Dark is official, but could find no proof. Nowhere on Nintendo's official site nor at www.pokemon.com is Pokémon Gold/Silver mentioned, which is very weird.

Shadow or Dark would be a fitting name. Evil, Demon, Devil, etc. just sounds dumb.

------------------

Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 05:38 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point that was pretty stupid of me to say that. I wonder what made me think that anyway....

------------------

Jigglypuff
Farting Nudist
Member # 144

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Jigglypuff   Email Jigglypuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyway. I actually like shadow more then evil because I'm an anti-evil person. No I'm not anti-evil type just anti-evil.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.