The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » RBY poké's gender in GS!?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RBY poké's gender in GS!?
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 07:32 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How is gender determined when transfering a pokémon into GS!? Is it random? Do you get to choose? Is the possibility for say, a machamp named ManlyMan to be transfered as a female therefore giving him a homo name!!!???
I need to know!!!! I don't want homo pokémon!

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
*ZERO*
Farting Nudist
Member # 11

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for *ZERO*   Email *ZERO*   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL! homomon! I hope I don't get any, but I think Cfalcon knows the answer to your question.

------------------
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) DaS rIgHt?

From: Greenwood, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eevee
Farting Nudist
Member # 97

Rate Member
posted 03-20-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Eevee   Author's Homepage   Email Eevee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good question. I would like to know, as well.

------------------
I'm Mew from the Upnetwork

"Desperate times call for desperate measures." -Me

"I do not follow, I lead." -Me

"You can't accomplish anything without making an effort." -Me

"You know it, I know it, so don't deny it, Eevee is so cool since it can evolve into 5 types! (Theres two more types in Gold/Silver)

"I don't care what anyone thinks of what I like or what I do...so shove it!" -hehehe Me, being defensive.

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check out this thread:
http://azureheights.com/forum/tuff/Forum4/HTML/000003.html

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 10:31 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My previous post pretty much says it all, but yes, a monster named ManlyMan with a weak attack gene is viewed as female.

I was hoping for a comparision between different sexes, or at least it being based on bit 5 or 6 instead of 7 (thus meaning that the strongest would still be male, but it wouldn't be MMMMMMMM FFFFFFFF, it would instead be something like MMMM FFFF MMMM FFFF.

But, hey, pokemon really is a cultural experience...

Also keep in mind that it is technically possible for Nintendo to modify this for the US audience. Though we should speak of it in whispers, Nintendo isn't above butchering a game on a whim, just to meet some bizarre percieved requirement. Heck, pokemon wouldn't have come out here at all, if it wasn't for it RIDICULOUS Japanese success. Gail Tilden was against it (a recent TIME magazine with Pokemon on the cover talks of this), and I'm still surprised it made it over here with all monsters unchanged (JYNX?).

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Great Dreamer
Farting Nudist
Member # 117

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 11:20 PM      Profile for The Great Dreamer   Email The Great Dreamer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, if I want a female pokémon, say a Lapras called GirlieGirl, Then I have to make sure that her attack is the lowest possible at level 50 according to the Skill/Stat Finder?
I really do not understand the deter value 15 and stuff so I need to be explained things simpler or someone please help me understand this deter value 15 thing.

------------------
"The Great Dreamer Has Written..."
-Luis The Bard, The Great Dreamer-

From: Las Vegas were everyone uses Mimic & Metronome! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Walrus Lugia
Farting Nudist
Member # 145

Member Rated:
posted 03-20-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for Walrus Lugia   Author's Homepage   Email Walrus Lugia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is random.
Magnimite has no gender.
Ash only catches male pokemon

------------------
May the walrus be with you.

A amazing creature, the one of a kind, Walrus Lugia lives deep underwater around Alaska, somtimes refered as the ultimate Pokemon!

From: Seafoam Islands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 119

Rate Member
posted 03-21-2000 10:20 AM      Profile for Jan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mew, Mewtwo and the lengendary birds have no gender, just like all the other 'once-in-a-lifetime' Pokemon. (Makes sense - you can't breed them that way)

Usocky, the 'once-in-a-lifetime' wiggling tree from G/S, however, is male?!?

------------------

Stan the Bug Man
Farting Nudist
Member # 147

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2000 11:23 AM      Profile for Stan the Bug Man   Email Stan the Bug Man   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do 'once-in-a-lifetime' Pokemon include Snorlax?

------------------
"I choose *YOU*, frozen Jolteon!" - cfalcon

From: Coral Springs, FL | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2000 01:37 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Ok, each monster has a random two byte value when you catch it (the exception is a couple monsters with fixed genes you can catch in Gold/Silver, like the Red Gyrados). These values determine the base proficiency in the attributes (the deter values) for all five (six, in Metallic) attributes.

The first bit of the first byte is the first bit in the attack value. If this is set, it is male, clear, female.

So
1??????? ????????
is male, and
0??????? ????????
is female.

However, in binary, the most signifigant bit being set adds eight to the value that it would otherwise be.

I go into real detail on this in my post "Boys have a 1, Girls have a zero", in the sharkery section.

If you don't understand how to determine deter values, here goes:

The value for ADSS is:
(Level*(base+deter))/50+5+bonus(stat EXP)

This means that at level 50, the deter values have a 1:1 relationship with the statistic values. So a jolteon with no stat EXP at level 50 (base speed of 130) would have a speed range of 135-150.

Check also: http://skill-statfinder.virtualave.net/ssf/
and: http://members.aol.com/sabindude/pokemon.html
and my post on monster gender is: http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum4/HTML/000003.html

I'm not sure about Snorlax's having a gender. However, it isn't determined by the rarity of the monster, but whether it would even remotely make sense.

Mew and Mewtwo are genderless, and I'm pretty sure the new overpowered birds are as well. I hope electrode / voltorb is (that would be why he's so bothered all the time), and I know magneton / magnetite has no sex (which would explain the affinity to them felt by engineers).

-cfalcon

------------------

Jan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 119

Rate Member
posted 03-22-2000 10:30 AM      Profile for Jan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A quick list of genderless Pokemon (I've played and completed G/S, so I know):
-Voltorb, Electrode
-Magnemite, Magneton
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Three legendary dogs/cats
-Lugia
-HouHou
-Mew
-MewTwo
-Serebii

There. I hope I didn't miss anyone. Snorlax HAS gender, BTW. Ash has a male.

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 03-24-2000 04:43 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I think that Staryu and Starmie go on that "genderless" list, too.

--Meowth346

------------------

*ZERO*
Farting Nudist
Member # 11

Member Rated:
posted 03-24-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for *ZERO*   Email *ZERO*   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As does Porygon 1 and 2.

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 04:40 AM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I haven't checke StarX, but I hope Starmie is sterile... maybe they'll die out...

------------------

squirtle master
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 172

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 08:21 AM      Profile for squirtle master   Email squirtle master   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like it has been said before me, Staryu, Starmie, Porygon, and Porygon2 all belong on the list of genderless pokemon. So does Ditto.
*ZERO*
Farting Nudist
Member # 11

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 09:00 AM      Profile for *ZERO*   Email *ZERO*   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well the genderless Pokemon are better than the non-genderless. It doesn't mean that they don't reproduce it just means that they are Asexual! They can breed with any other gender. This goes for the legendary Pokemon also it's just that they refuse and I heard that it takes 100+ hours to get them to breed.

------------------

squirtle master
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 172

Member Rated:
posted 03-25-2000 12:13 PM      Profile for squirtle master   Email squirtle master   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually...
Genderless pokemone can breed w/ gender pokemon. The result will be a pokemon of the type that had the gender, w/ none of the genderless pokemon's attacks. They still work best w/ similar icons, but remember you can breed w/ other icons, it just takes longer.

Argo
Farting Nudist
Member # 49

Member Rated:
posted 03-27-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for Argo   Email Argo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Annon is also genderless...question:

what if a ditto+lugia bred?

------------------
AIM:argothian007wurm
"Cut gives the Grass-type a chance versus Fire-types"
-Nintendo Power

"It's gonna be a Psybro!"
-Ash

From: new york,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 03-27-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"what if a ditto+lugia bred?"

Ive done some testing with this, in breeding Houou, Mewtwo, Mew, and Articuno. I would put it in the Day Care Center along with a Ditto, then edit the RAM so that the man is standing outside the House with an egg.

Now, if I had put a Female Pikachu and a Male Pikachu in the Center, then a Pichu would be born. If a Female Hypno and Male Drowzee, then a Drowzee would be born, etc. In other words, this process that I used could not fail in giving the correct baby if such a breeding compatibility was possible.

For all of those above listed tests, Houou to Articuno, each time a ????? was born. Number 25# or so, it's what you can easily refer to as a "MissingNo." Therefore, though some may say "I had my Lugia and Houou in there for 1 million hours, and a baby Lugia was born", it can't really happen. If they *did* have a child, it would be a glitch.

However, I have not yet tried forcing a childbirth from a rare (Lugia, etc.) Pokémon and a Pokémon with a Gender (ie Pikachu, Clefable, Bulbasaur, etc.)

--Meowth346

------------------

[This message has been edited by Meowth346 (edited 03-27-2000).]

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-28-2000 12:56 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Good answer, Meowth. I have no idea how the breeding works, just that I hope it's balanced

I would hope forcing childbirth with a gendered monster would yield that gender (that is the norm, right?). Probably they have a loop that checks genders to see what monster comes out. If both if statements fail (neither has a sex, an unforseen situation), the game simply never initializes the data (probably yields monster 0 or whatever glitch is indicated).

What attacks the illegal child would have is beyond me. I don't even know for sure how the normal stuff works, but it sounds like a Pika / Mewtwo breed would be a pika with any attacks that the Mewtwo had that pika could normally learn (REST, T-BOLT, etc., but maybe not PSYCHIC?). That would probably only be the case if that would be what breeding any gendered with any non-gendered would yield.

For every still reading, my earlier post on gender was incorrect. The MSB only determines the gender for many monsters. Obviously some have a fixed gender, or none at all, but others actually have a different distribution. Meowth points this out in more recent posts here:
http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/Forum4/HTML/000003.html

-cfalcon

------------------

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 03-28-2000 01:59 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In addition to breeding, I've made a chart of all Pokémon that can breed and everyone that they can breed with. Normally you'd be looking at roughly 57,600 or so possible combinations, but I found a simpler way looking through the ROM's data. I'm trying to compile a list of attacks that a child can be born with, though I may just put naturally learned attacks. I'm still working on birth attacks, and finding the hereditary system quite interesting.
However, my work isn't yet organized and online.

--Meowth346

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 03-28-2000 02:02 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ack! Now that my very first Pokémon, Squirty, a Blastoise, for sure has mak EXP for its stats, I find that the DV for him is "4EB5"! That means, as far as I can tell, that he's gonna be a she in Gold/Silver! People, beware in refering to your Pokmon by he, she, him, or her...you might just be wrong ^_^

--Meowth346

------------------

Pinstar
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 193

Rate Member
posted 03-31-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Pinstar   Email Pinstar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You guys speak of all this G/S testing, WHERE are you finding the english versian? I've been hunting on the web for a 100% english one, all I've found is an english gold that is english up until the first gym, then everyone you talk to is not translated. Anyone point me to a 100% english g or s?
Pinstar1@aol.com Is my address. Thanks in advance

------------------
Fuzzy Logic: All Foxes have 9 tails.
Reasoning: No fox has 8 tails, and a fox has 1 more taile than no fox, so a fox has 9 tails ^_^

Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 03-31-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People can't translate the game that quick.... Besides It's going to come out in English eventually...

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-01-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I translated the Silver version, minus about 80 PokéDex entries and all Item/Attack descriptions in about two months. It's not that hard.

--Meowth346

------------------

Pinstar
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 193

Rate Member
posted 04-02-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for Pinstar   Email Pinstar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would it be possible to send me it?

------------------
Reasoning: No fox has 8 tails, and a fox has 1 more taile than no fox, so a fox has 9 tails ^_^

Square
Farting Nudist
Member # 93

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 07:25 PM      Profile for Square   Author's Homepage   Email Square   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it is a cart and not a rom, then I will pay you for it! IM SO SICK AND TIRED of haveing to fuss with the stupid japanese cart! makes me nutz!

------------------
Crazy? I was crazy once. They locked me up. In a room. I died there. They buried me. In a box. With worms. I hate worms. They drive me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once.....

From: deep in a swamp, under a rock, in a cocoon | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Volrath50
Farting Nudist
Member # 171

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 09:45 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you going to put the patch up on your site at all.... That would rock....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

From: A little town, somewhere in Canada. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slick 66
Farting Nudist
Member # 70

Member Rated:
posted 04-02-2000 10:03 PM      Profile for Slick 66   Email Slick 66   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back on topic...

So basically, any pokémon with a decent move (Recover, Transform, etc.) is genderless???: : This is good and bad. It gives the game more balance, yes, but the imbalance would only be in the favor of the much more experienced players. All those whiny 5-year-olds wouldn't have the patience giving [insert name of favorite pokémon here] Recover, Transform, etc. boo-hoo, but woo-hoo? : :

------------------
~Slick has spoken~

...or so they say...

Marcus Majarra
Farting Nudist
Member # 56

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 11:05 AM      Profile for Marcus Majarra   Author's Homepage   Email Marcus Majarra   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Something has been somewhat bothering me ever since people started associating gender and stats. I doubt that it's actually true. Consider original R/B/Y Pokémon, for instance. It's possible to obtain 15 in every DV with some time, but if you trade the Pokémon to G/S, how can it figure out whether to make it a male or a female due to DVs?

What I think is that there's some sort of special calculation formula for gender in G/S. Typically, a higher Attack DV would be more likely to result in a male Pokémon, but the other possibility is also probable.

It's either that, or gender is totally random.

------------------
Yours Truly,

Marcus Majarra
for more info, reach me at RPGamer's Pokéboard
AIM: Marcus Maj

From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 12:55 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Majarra:
It's possible to obtain 15 in every DV with some time, but if you trade the Pokémon to G/S, how can it figure out whether to make it a male or a female due to DVs?

I don't understand your point. If genes (DVs, whatever) are static for each Pokemon and this info is transferred when you trade Pokemon (which it is), where's the problem?

------------------
KOFFING!

Marcus Majarra
Farting Nudist
Member # 56

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 01:23 PM      Profile for Marcus Majarra   Author's Homepage   Email Marcus Majarra   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, say you caught a Pokémon with DVs of 15 in both Attack and Defense, and you traded to G/S. How would the game determine the Pokémon's gender?

------------------
Yours Truly,

Marcus Majarra
for more info, reach me at RPGamer's Pokéboard
AIM: Marcus Maj

From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-12-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Majarra:
Well, say you caught a Pokémon with DVs of 15 in both Attack and Defense, and you traded to G/S. How would the game determine the Pokémon's gender?

It would determine the gender based on the rules cfalcon described. I still don't see why it would any different than catching a Pokemon in G/S.

------------------
KOFFING!

Pinstar
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 193

Rate Member
posted 04-24-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Pinstar   Email Pinstar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This stinks, so your saying all female pokemon have weaker attacks? Shouldn't they make up for that by haveing better def or hps? I really like to have a few fems on my G/S team but wouldn't want them all to be weak. It should be MFMFMFMFMFMF.... for the different Deter values. Anyone know Where the M/F barrier is on Otashi?

------------------

Givera
Farting Nudist
Member # 234

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Givera   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinstar:
This stinks, so your saying all female pokemon have weaker attacks? Shouldn't they make up for that by haveing better def or hps? I really like to have a few fems on my G/S team but wouldn't want them all to be weak. It should be MFMFMFMFMFMF.... for the different Deter values. Anyone know Where the M/F barrier is on Otashi?

Hey! Females can still have 15DV special! Also pokemon like Jynx and Nidoqueen are all females so use some of them... most pokemon are MMMMMMMM FFFFFFFF; I'd assume he is too but then again the only GS names I can recognize as who they are yet are Serebii, Houhou, Lugia, & Pichu. So I really have no idea who you're talking about
-Givera, trainer of Gamesharked pokemon

------------------
"My staff is complaining about the rats in the kitchen; I want to hire a new staff" -Lunchlady Doris on how to spend the School's oil money
"If any punk-a** Charmander tries to mount my Koffing, I'll have Wiggly crack his spine and Lee will throw him in a vat of Psyduck Surf!" -Mr. K on different species ability to breed
"Heh.....ditto is a G** D*** pimp in g/s....he gets all the a**.." -Argo on Ditto's ability to breed with anything/one

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2000 10:09 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Additionally, genes make up only 30 points at level 100, which, while signifigant in terms of defense on a Chansey, is insignifigant in terms of attack on a Dragonite

------------------
-cfalcon

Meowth346
Farting Nudist
Member # 166

posted 04-25-2000 02:46 PM      Profile for Meowth346   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Somewhere above someone asked Otachi's Male/Female distribution. For Otachi it's the basic 50%/50%. A few notables are that Togepi and its evolution are 1/8 female, Py, and Pupurin 6/8 female. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, and their other evolutionary forms (pre-evolution, and pre-'s third form) and all male only. Sorry, but your skirt-bound Hitmonchan can't be female. We'll just call it a kilt, 'kay ^_^

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

Pinstar
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 193

Rate Member
posted 04-25-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Pinstar   Email Pinstar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True.... oh well, guess I make the fems on my team the special-oriented ones.

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.