The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » Missingno.?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missingno.?
Jan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 119

Rate Member
posted 03-11-2000 05:11 PM      Profile for Jan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's my first post here, but I have been doing research on Missingno. and I was looking for a decent Pokemon research MB where I can ask this question:

When you catch Missngno. and look at his type, it doesn't say water/sky, it says water/BIRD..! Why?!?

Is there a bird type?!?

------------------

Marril
Farting Nudist
Member # 51

Member Rated:
posted 03-11-2000 05:19 PM      Profile for Marril     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered that myself.

Reason (IMO) that it says that: the trash that creates it comes from that infernal Weedle, which is in itself screwed up with the type department. So take the influx variables for types, and subtract the limitations of the game from that, you get the flying/bird mixup type that MissingNo./'M is.

Also, if you understood my babble, then you have too much time on your hands.

PS, SKY type?! And you wondered if there was a BIRD type?! Holy Yamikarasu!

------------------

Jan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 119

Rate Member
posted 03-12-2000 06:10 AM      Profile for Jan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooops, I guess I mixed those two types up. Sorry. ^_^

Another thing about Missingno. is that it has more than one hexadecimal number; also, it seems that is number is completley irregular.

Missingno.s are pokemon that were deleted in the process of developing the game; the game cannot find the requested pokemon and switches to default (#000 - Missingno.). 'M?
It is only a glitch. Don't confuse 'M and Missingno....'M never existed, but Missingno. did.

One of the missingno.s appears right next to
Raichu...could that be the infamous Pikablu?!?

------------------

cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2000 08:23 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"deleted in the process of creating the game?"

How about "don't map to anything, and so pull random data out of RAM, data that was never intended to be referenced as a pokemon?"

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Takeshi
Farting Nudist
Member # 125

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2000 09:16 PM      Profile for Takeshi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that the "Bird" type was the predecessor to today's Flying type. At least from my point of view.

any questions?
-Takeshi

------------------
"I don't really give a damn who you are, it's what you do that matters."
~Lord Voldemort (the one on the UPN BBS)

From: Houston, TX, United States | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jan
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 119

Rate Member
posted 03-13-2000 01:17 PM      Profile for Jan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
"deleted in the process of creating the game?"

How about "don't map to anything, and so pull random data out of RAM, data that was never intended to be referenced as a pokemon?"

No can do. If that was the case, we wouldn't be having
54 Pikachu
55 Raichu
56 Missingno.
57 Missingno.
58 Dratini
59 Dragonair, we'd have

54 Pikachu
55 Raichu
56 Dratini
57 Dragonair

See? The blanks would not even be there if no pokemon number 56 and 57 would exist.

They don't, but they DID.

(BTW, those numbers are hexadecimal data. It is not the same as pokemon number.)

------------------

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.