next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Research Lab   » One Hit KO's

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Hit KO's
Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2000 12:07 AM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are they really on a Fixed accuracy or is this merely Illusion?

What if the speed was working against you instead of for you? That would mean that using Agility to any extreme would be hurting more than helping. Perhaps 30% is the minimum accuracy it can obtain.

I have very good reason to beleive that the slower you are, or rather the closer to your opponents while still being over.

Why do I have reason to beleive this? First off, you can't hit at all if you are slower. This is because if you are too slow, and the accuracy is really something comperable to an inverse of speed, Horn Drill would hit almost all the time. That would be distintly unbalanced.

Other reasons I have to beleive that Instant Kills work better under slower conditions, or more equal conditions rather, is in the case of Ditto vs Rhydon. When Ditto Transforms, it gains the exact active stats of the opponent (bar HP). This would mean Speed. When using Horn Drill as Ditto on a Rhydon which I have just Transformed into, if it doesn't hit the first time, it almost infallably hits the seconed time. This suggests a fifty fifty success rate at or around equal speed and a degradation to 30% at anything extremely higher.

There's my hypothosis, debate it at will. IF it is true, it doesn't entirely remove Agility/Horn Drill as a viable combination, you can still be guaranteed to at least attack first so as to be able to actually HIT anyone, if not guaranteeing a hit.

------------------

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For reference: http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/attacks/comp/ko.htm

If you have some bulk of data that backs up your claim, I'm sure Toby'd be interested, but a couple anecdotes really doesn't prove anything.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I could tell you that Wigglytuff will defeat Mewtwo 5 out of 6 times and Wiggly will only lose if he gets frozen, because that's what happened to me at my first tourney, but that's hardly enough data to make any universal claims...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2000 12:30 AM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moltres23:
When using Horn Drill as Ditto on a Rhydon which I have just Transformed into, if it doesn't hit the first time, it almost infallably hits the seconed time. This suggests a fifty fifty success rate at or around equal speed and a degradation to 30% at anything extremely higher.

I'm afraid it doesn't really suggest much of anything unless you can provide some actual numbers on the amount of data you collected. Exactly how often is "almost infallably"? I would think at least 100 trials would be appropriate here.

quote:

There's my hypothosis, debate it at will.

Debate is almost certainly not the most productive way to approach this issue. All the arguments anyone could muster would be rendered moot by a good set of data.

------------------

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MewtwoSama
Asshole
Member # 12

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for MewtwoSama   Author's Homepage   Email MewtwoSama   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We might have to throw all this out the window:

I saw Rhydon hit Fissure on Alakazam in Stadium...

------------------
MewtwoSama
It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. It's DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, it's size and disposition are vastly different.

AIM: MewtwoSama
E-mail: mewtwo@ureach.com

Mew! Meow! Grrrrr!

The key to a good offense is a strong defense

Ethics are stupid, they only get in the way of winning

From: Abyss of Evil | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moltres23
Farting Nudist
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted 03-02-2000 06:24 PM      Profile for Moltres23   Email Moltres23   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off, I usually battle with Logic before going in to test in order to form a Hypothesis.

My reasons for thinking One Hit KO's are more effective the closer you are to your opponent's speed...

1. Personal Experience, which has very little weight unless I get some numbers.

2. 'Enemy "So and So" is Unnaffected'. Why would the programmers prevent the Slow Guys from using Instant Kills for no reason? In the case of Speed increasing accuracy (proven wrong) it makes no sence. In the case of Standard Accuracy, it's debatable. In the case of Speed Lowering/Leveling it makes some sence. Being SLOWER than the opponent would raise the accuracy of the move above fifty percent (according to my theories) that makes it totally unfair. The game does have balance to it afterall.

3. No one has tested it yet (to the best of my knowlege if anyone has numbers on Slower=Better, please inform me). Increasing speed seems the logical way to go, so it's the first to be tested. It's logic that doesn't take every aspect of the situation into account (see above).

To test this out completely, I propose to clone a Krabby w/ Guillotine, then give one of them a Carbos. Another Test will be carried out with Ditto and various other Instant Killers.

If you see flaws in my logic, please point them out to me so I may debate them or test them if not simply aknowledge them and continue on with my life.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 03-03-2000 03:47 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that you are wrong, but that is just my feeling I don't have enough testing to definitely disprove your theories.

I think One-Hit KO only works if you have higher speed to weaken the move. The programmers probably felt it is too powerful without this restiction. And for good reason, because without this, Mewtwo would suck, ANY pokemon who can learn One-Hit KO can kick his ass 50% of the time. 50% is roughly the chance that you will survive 2 One-Hit KO attempts, and that is exactly what Mewtwo needs to do to kill most other Pokemon.

Although, Flinch rates are affected by Speed I think, in Blue/Red. I think only moves that "have a greater chance to Flinch" have this property, move with just "random Flinch" work 10% of the time regardless of Speed.

------------------

From: Honolulu, HI, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 03-05-2000 05:59 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But why have only selective speed settings?
For a fact I know Headbutt has a "greater chance of flinching" and it's 30%.
Blizzard has a "greater chance of freezing" - Does that mean a jynx will freeze more than a Nidoking purely for speed?

I think you're argument makes less sense than One Hit KOs being best on even speeds - For one logically it doesn't make any sense.
If I was a Rhydon chasing someone with a Horn Drill - Bang, I'd kill them if I was faster, if I was slower, I never would.
If I was the same speed I'd never even catch up to them.

------------------
+Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - µ - 17159815
AIM - Xanubaraqhan

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Square
Farting Nudist
Member # 93

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2000 12:52 PM      Profile for Square   Author's Homepage   Email Square   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
picture this- dragonite w/ agility, thunderwave, horn drill, and hyper beam/ body slam/skull bash ect. First use thunderwave, than agility once or twice, then drill away! you will be MUCH faster than your opponent, and almost garanteed 1-hit KO!! this dragonite would be very impractical and risky though.

------------------
BEHOLD THE POWER OF CHEESE!

From: deep in a swamp, under a rock, in a cocoon | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Square
Farting Nudist
Member # 93

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2000 12:58 PM      Profile for Square   Author's Homepage   Email Square   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
We might have to throw all this out the window:

I saw Rhydon hit Fissure on Alakazam in Stadium...

Yes I have seen a pinsir hit a mew w/ guillotine, and if I recall, a mew is much faster than a pinsir.

------------------

From: deep in a swamp, under a rock, in a cocoon | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wintermute
My custom title sucks.
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2000 04:12 PM      Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage   Email Wintermute   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Square:
Yes I have seen a pinsir hit a mew w/ guillotine, and if I recall, a mew is much faster than a pinsir.

Square, was this in Stadium? If RBY, was it in a game or link battle?

Thanks.

------------------

From: Winnipeg, Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Square
Farting Nudist
Member # 93

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2000 05:01 PM      Profile for Square   Author's Homepage   Email Square   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was a link battle between me and my brother, he has red version, I was using yellow version.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 03-08-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mu, according to the most accurate movelist, Blizzard does NOT have a greater chance to freeze. Necrosaro's movelist was ripped directly from the game and he is most often right. However all other sites do say Blizzard DOES have a greater chance to freeze and that it is 30% exactly. My own testings disagree and say that Blizzard has a regular chance to freeze, namely 10% exactly.

According to my OWN testings, any move that has a greater chance to work, is somewhere between 30% to 40% accurate depending on your pokemons speed. On a Snorlax, Headbutt probably would be roughly 30% accurate. These sites say that it is always 30% accurate but I believe that is wrong. I do have some data to indicate this, however most of my data are done with like 40 trials only, and I don't always write them down either but I do sometimes.

Necrosaro's ripped ROM movelist only gave him hex codes for what effect each move does. 'Random Freeze' might be code 45 for example, while 'Greater Random Freeze' might be code 46. Necrosaro himself has to interpret what these mean though, and assign the right ideas/effects to each hex code. Sometimes he screws up in this process. Also, any move that says 'Random Attack Down' or affects stats randomly like that as a side-effect, are actually 'Greater Random Attack Down' according to what tests I have done, but Necrosaro didnt know this so he just wrote 'Random Attack Down'. In actuality there is no 'Random Attack Down' only a 'Greater Random Attack Down' I believe.

------------------

Porcupine
Farting Nudist
Member # 46

Member Rated:
posted 03-10-2000 07:39 PM      Profile for Porcupine   Email Porcupine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wait, I'm not so sure about all attacks being either 10% (regular) or 30-40% (greater chance, also partially speed dependent). I remember back when I first played Pokemon Blue and didn't know anything, and I was trying to use Bubble to lower my opponent's Speed with my Level 10 Squirtle. It never worked, hahaha, or at least it seemed that way.
I did recently test Bubble and Bubblebeam out with a Mewtwo, and he did lower Speed almost 40% of the time though...

------------------

Mu
Farting Nudist
Member # 28

Member Rated:
posted 03-11-2000 07:07 AM      Profile for Mu   Author's Homepage   Email Mu   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mu, according to the most accurate movelist, Blizzard does NOT have a greater chance to freeze. Necrosaro's movelist was ripped directly from the game and he is most often right. However all other sites do say Blizzard DOES have a greater chance to freeze and that it is 30% exactly. My own testings disagree and say that Blizzard has a regular chance to freeze, namely 10% exactly.

Frankly I have a tendancy to believe AH over Necro as although he did rip it straight from the ROM - AH have tested and trialled this, that and my own experiences show quite plainly that Blizzard is either more than 10% freeze, or everyone I know is incredibly lucky.
But from reports they change this to 10% in Stadium and G/S so it depends where you are coming from, myself I am still in RBY.

According to my OWN testings, any move that has a greater chance to work, is somewhere between 30% to 40% accurate depending on your pokemons speed. On a Snorlax, Headbutt probably would be roughly 30% accurate. These sites say that it is always 30% accurate but I believe that is wrong. I do have some data to indicate this, however most of my data are done with like 40 trials only, and I don't always write them down either but I do sometimes.

As I was told about theories - "Do at least 100 trials with written results and THEN come back and tell us your theories"

Necrosaro's ripped ROM movelist only gave him hex codes for what effect each move does. 'Random Freeze' might be code 45 for example, while 'Greater Random Freeze' might be code 46. Necrosaro himself has to interpret what these mean though, and assign the right ideas/effects to each hex code. Sometimes he screws up in this process. Also, any move that says 'Random Attack Down' or affects stats randomly like that as a side-effect, are actually 'Greater Random Attack Down' according to what tests I have done, but Necrosaro didnt know this so he just wrote 'Random Attack Down'. In actuality there is no 'Random Attack Down' only a 'Greater Random Attack Down' I believe.

That is exactly why I believe AH over him.
By the way - You can't have 'Greater Random Attack Down' without a 'Random Attack Down'.

Anyway, I've used plenty of these moves and I've seen enough of them work that way to give me the impression it's not even a 10% chance - 3% would probably be more accurate from my experiences.

------------------
+Contact Info for Harrassment+
ICQ - µ - 17159815
AIM - Xanubaraqhan

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
cfalcon
OLDNBLD
Member # 19

Member Rated:
posted 03-11-2000 01:36 PM      Profile for cfalcon   Email cfalcon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, if Attack Down was equivalent to 1 Tail Whip, then that statement would mean that anything that lowers your attack sometimes lowers it by two Tail Whips (I think that's the claim, I'm not sure about it).

In the back of the Yellow book, they discuss that Blizzard's chance of freezing was "modified by 10%". Knowing Nintendo, this could mean:

a) Modified 30%->20%
b) Modified 20%->10%
c) Modified 30%->10% (bad translation if true)
d) Nothing at all

Point is, R/B may be seperate then Yellow here. Stadium documents 10, but who knows.

-cfalcon

------------------

From: 39°45' N, 104°52' W | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 03-12-2000 05:07 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
Point is, R/B may be seperate then Yellow here. Stadium documents 10, but who knows.

Yeah, who knows... We do know that stuff written in both the Yellow and Stadium instructions is incorrect. For example, even the online explanation of Hi Jump Kick is incorrect in Stadium.

By the way, Mu, while your confidence in us is inspiring, in many cases we have actually just used Necro's data. We pretty much only do research when there seems to be some conflict.

So if one of our percentages is 10% off, we might never have noticed.

I don't think we've ever significantly tested most of the percentages and I know Wintermute is working on Critical Hit tests, but hasn't come to any final conclusions yet.

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.