The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Muk Center Auditorium   » Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sell over half a mil!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sell over half a mil!
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 04-21-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13347

Hopefully Pokemon will be as popular as it was in the days of Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

[ 04-21-2007, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Face ]

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charmeleon411
Farting Nudist
Member # 99

Member Rated:
posted 04-23-2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Charmeleon411     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
videogames are for children
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-24-2007 08:44 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only play videogames in the original Japanese.
From: Cinnabar Island | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anthrax
Ultimate Authoritative Power in the Universe
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2007 01:32 AM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ok so ive played the first two minutes

this is just going to be the exact same game all over again isnt it

god fucking damn it

- - - - -
She told The Associated Press she first realized her son was mentally ill in 1996 when he killed her oldest child, a 25-year-old woman who suffered from cerebral palsy, by beating her with a dumbbell.

From: Somebody put shit in my pants! | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dragonite21
Farting Nudist
Member # 475

posted 04-25-2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Dragonite21     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ha ha

anthrax got pwned by nintendo

bad luck mate

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anthrax getting pwned? hahaha

- - - - -
Weezing!

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2007 12:24 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
welcome to the world of pokemon

my name is professor [TREE]

pokemon and humans are friends

what is your name

is this correct yes/no

[MOM]: hello [PLAYER NAME], [NPC] is looking for you DON'T GO INTO THE GRASS THERE ARE POKEMON OUT THERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

(i havent gotten past this point but I would be shocked if this is not what happens)

[WALK AROUND SLOWLY, SERIES OF EVENTS LEADING TO BEGINNING YOUR QUEST TO BECOME REGION'S TOP POKEMON TRAINER]

[TREE]: please pick a [FIRE], [WATER], or [GRASS] pokemon

RIVAL: i pick [TYPE WITH ADVANTAGE OVER CHOSEN STARTER]

[BATTLE BEGINS]

RIVAL: i lose, i am going to be a sore loser and leave in a tiff

[TREE]: well, i guess you should start making your way through the gyms, huh

[ADVENTURE BEGINS]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION INTRODUCED]

[WALK SLOWLY FROM GYM TO GYM]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTERS WITH CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[WALK THROUGH FOREST THAT REQUIRES A TM MOVE TO GET THROUGH]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTERS WITH RIVAL]

[WALK THROUGH A CAVERNOUS MOUNTAIN TO REACH THE PEAK]

[WALK SLOWLY FROM GYM TO GYM]

[WALK THROUGH AN ABANDONED OR HAUNTED TOWER TO REACH THE TOP FLOOR]

[OBTAIN A FASTER MEANS OF LOCOMOTION]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION BEGINS PLAN TO CAPTURE OR DESTROY GODLIKE POKEMON]

[WALK FROM GYM TO GYM]

[SURF ALONG LARGE EXPANSE OF WATER TO GET TO AN ISLAND]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTER WITH CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[WALK FROM GYM TO GYM]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION'S PLANS BEGIN TO REACH FRUITION]

[RIVAL PROVES HE'S NOT SUCH A BAD GUY AFTER ALL, HELPS YOU AT A COST TO HIM IN ORDER FOR YOU TO HELP DEFEAT CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[DEFEAT CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[OBTAIN MACGUFFIN REQUIRED FOR GODLIKE POKEMON]

[GO THROUGH A MONSTER FILLED CAVE CALLED "VICTORY ROAD"]

[BATTLE ELITE 4]

[BATTLE RIVAL]

[BEGIN END GAME]

[USE MACGUFFIN TO OBTAIN GODLIKE POKEMON]

[SEARCH FOR DAYS FOR TWO OR THREE GODLIKE POKEMON THAT APPEAR RANDOMLY ALL ACROSS THE MAP]

[DO A CONVOLUTED FETCH OR PUZZLE QUEST FOR ONE OR MORE GODLIKE POKEMON]

[WAIT IN LINE AT TOYS R US FOR TWO HOURS FOR GODLIKE POKEMON]

- - - - -
She told The Associated Press she first realized her son was mentally ill in 1996 when he killed her oldest child, a 25-year-old woman who suffered from cerebral palsy, by beating her with a dumbbell.

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-25-2007 03:08 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Antrash wins!

I got this game for my gf if she says it is fun then I will get it I think

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 04-25-2007 08:58 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
c:\>cd\pokemon\_

c:\pokemon\>pressA.bat_

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 12:40 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some of what Anthrax posted doesn't apply to any Pokemon game, but point taken.

It occurs to me that in terms of new features and innovations, the Generation 4 games have the least new stuff:

GSC: gender, held items, breeding, time of day, shinyness, new types, Pokerus
RSE: natures, abilities, contests, double battles, Battle Tower/Frontier
DP: more times of day, physical/special change

That said, the ability to battle over the Internet (Welcome to the 1990's, Nintendo!) means that I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

[ 04-26-2007, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 10:42 AM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what's the change to special/physical?
Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Some of what Anthrax posted doesn't apply to any Pokemon game, but point taken.

It occurs to me that in terms of new features and innovations, the Generation 4 games have the least new stuff:

GSC: gender, held items, breeding, time of day, shinyness, new types, Pokerus
RSE: natures, abilities, contests, double battles, Battle Tower/Frontier
DP: more times of day, physical/special change

That said, the ability to battle over the Internet (Welcome to the 1990's, Nintendo!) means that I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

the only things i can think of that might not actually be in any of the games is the "longtime rival and enemy sacrifices himself to save you" and maybe macguffin was the wrong word to use but really everything else is in the games.

i dont really want to go down the list and defend every statement. pokemon is stale as fuck, its still the same ugly bird's-eye-view of superdeformed 2D sprites and ugly buildings, the natural environment is still unnatural looking and full of blocks and right angles, the music is still as tinny as it was on the original gameboy, its still the same tired story formula, your pokemon still aren't smart enough to know how to do more than 4 different things, battles are still the same perspective with the same motionless 2D sprites standing apart from each other while the game insists that your pokemon just tackled that geodude

they have fallen into their formula and they really don't want to change it. the DS gave them an opportunity to let the series evolve beyond its roots. they could have easily made a game that looked more like the gamecube games than the gameboy games. all the features and "innovations" white cat lists are things that would be included in an expansion pack or a patch in most other games(i understand you cannot do these things with a gameboy game). Apart from the two new types and gender and breeding, none of that stuff is really important and either gimmicky or a nonfeature. and in regards to gender and breeding, its not so much a new feature of gsc as it is a correction of a mistake they made in rby.

who really likes to do the contests
held items are gimmicky as fuck
double battles are gimmicky
shiny pokemon are gimmicky (they dont even have the best possible stats so what is their point other than novelty)
its neat that it has a clock and times of day and all but it never seems to make a difference in gameplay
pokerus is a totally forgettable gimmick
abilities and nature seem largely pointless to me personally and its just something else they want you to look for so you grind out more time capturing things
the battle tower/frontier is just some gauntlet of battles against random jabronis, and you win items, big whoop

and i also wish they would drop the "special nintendo event only pokemon" convention. it was a neat idea and it was done well with mew, but who gives a crap about celebi and deoxys and jirachi really and why should i have to go to some special event full of little kids and autistic otakus to unlock something i paid for already

i dont doubt that if hell freezes over and nintendo actually makes a pokemon mmorpg that is part of the proper series (not like snap and ranger and crap), even if they make it 10 years from now, it will be a birds-eye-view with 2D sprites and battles that look as visually appealing as they did in stadium

i mean, let me know if im wrong about d/p because i really would like to be

pokemon is serious business [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

when i went to best buy to buy it i had to buy a copy for my cousin so i was holding a copy of each and i had got the last pearl the store had and this smogon kid came up and was totally freaking out he was like "WHERES PEARL" and i was like "oh i got the last one" and he's like "YOU DONT NEED TWO COPIES OF THE GAME" and he was pathetic so i just walked away and that made me smile at least

so is the more popular version diamond or pearl, i had just assumed it would be diamond

- - - - -

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 03:06 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am going to make a forum slice for this, but first I need to work on some digital vegetables.
Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think this is quite exactly the right forum for this discussion, but I needed to seed it with something.

So hello.

Anthrax
Member # 335

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Anthrax   Author's Homepage   Email Anthrax   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
im just curious, why muk?

can the next one be chansey or weepinbell

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 04-26-2007 08:51 PM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what's the change to special/physical?

Whether an attack is physical or special is now determined individually, instead of by type. So for example, Body Slam and Fire Punch are physical attacks, while Flamethrower and Hyper Beam are special.

[ 04-26-2007, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

- - - - -
"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?"
-- Barack Obama, campaigning in Iowa

Mr. K
Racist
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2007 01:23 AM      Profile for Mr. K   Author's Homepage   Email Mr. K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anthrax: im just curious, why muk?

I got the "Center Auditorium" part from a campus map, then I had _CA and Muk was the best M Pokemon.

can the next one be chansey or weepinbell

Sure. I was actually eyeing Bellsprout when I started looking at Pokemon, but it was too difficult to narrow it down to one species.

Also there were a few species I didn't even remember, like Seaking. Also I didn't remember that Golbat was RBY, probably because he's so awful.

Automaton
Farting Nudist
Member # 1234

Member Rated:
posted 04-27-2007 09:35 AM      Profile for Automaton   Author's Homepage   Email Automaton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anthrax: You forgot the part about there being the newest Nintendo console hooked up to the main character's TV. Also you get the ability to hold B and run at 2x normal speed within the first hour of gameplay or less.

I'm playing Diamond because I haven't touched anything Pokémon in like four years and only played Sapphire for like, a couple hours.

I only beat Red once, but aside from Gen. 2 I didn't really play it enough for it to get stale to the extent that Anthrax had.

For me, it did seem nostalgic and new at the same time, kinda.

Although watching the intro with the male lead walking toward the camera reminded me of this.

I would like to see Pokemon become more freeroam though, the focus has always been on the monsters themselves, the stupid crime syndicate convention has been redone so many times, and the linearity of the game world is troubling in this day and age. Pokemon themselves should come with HM moves learnable through leveling, as a way of surmounting obstacles by catching and training new types of Pokemon which makes perfect sense anyways. I do like the idea that Strong physical attackers of otherwise (until now) special types can be good in the new game's ruleset. This opens up entirely new movesets that make no sense in the earlier versions but are worth training for just to trade them up to G4.

Also in a lot of cases, of the new starter pokemon you actually lose your type weakness vs your opponent's starter. For instance, the little water bird you get becomes Water/Steel in their 3rd form which makes the grass attacks of the opponent only do normal damage later on. The little bird is called Piplup, so naturally I named mine POOPLIPS.

[ 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Automaton ]

SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 04-28-2007 12:52 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sounds very exciting.

I think the best part of this game is mixing poffins.

While your pokemon are out leveling up mine are eating delicious poffins.

- - - - -
Pretty de Cure Cure
Futari wa Precure

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 04-29-2007 05:52 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Poffins are indeed cool.

- - - - -
Weezing!

10,000Lb.Snorlax
loves long time.
Member # 13

Member Rated:
posted 04-30-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for 10,000Lb.Snorlax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I played diamond for 30 minutes last night and was pretty bored. I am going to only have a team of cool pokiemans - not neccessarily strong ones.

also i found myself tapping the "a" button 90% of the time I was actually "playing". they should have allowed touch screen text scrolling, or put all the text on the bottom screen. My thumb was tired after about 4 NPCs.

same with the battles. allow me to skip all that crap via the touch screen please [Mad]

I am kinda excited for the prospect of playing against azurians someday though

[ 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: 10,000Lb.Snorlax ]

FRZ
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4031

Rate Member
posted 05-04-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for FRZ   Email FRZ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The competitive nature of the game isn't as good as RBY IMO, but the game itself is really solid, great online features and extras.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.