The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Oddish Memorial Lecture Hall   » Thunder Wave and Substitute metagame discussion.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunder Wave and Substitute metagame discussion.
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2003 02:32 AM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TWave was essentially the most abused move of RBY and Substitute got its fair use in GSC. In RuSa though, neither of these moves are TM's, and because of that, I want to start a discussion about how much do you people think these two moves will affect the metagame. Will it make those who learn Thunder Wave and Sub that much more important? Will they not affect the metagame at all?

After seeing a move like TWave being whored around for so long, I think it'll be interesting to see a metagame with limited twavers.

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 03-26-2003 04:15 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
about how much do you people think these two moves will affect the metagame

Not as much as you'd think.

Okay, so, TWave would be abused till the cows came home in R/S if it were available as a TM since now Speed does matter - since not everyone has enough stat experience to put into Speeed to make it faster than everything else - and a 25% chance of not being hit never hurt anybody.

Substitute, I'm not too sure about. Of the Pokemon that get it, I'd wager only Delcatty, Kecleon and Absol could actually use. Delcatty since it needs some for of survivablity, Kecleon since it needs something to protect it if the opponent wants to play "Change Kecleon's type to one I can smash", and Absol for Baton Passing to others after you pump it's HP full of stat experience (even then, you're only passing a Substitute of about 80HP, and it could get hit before before making any kind of difference), or pulling off Double Team with Absol's trait and so forth.

If everyone else could get it, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. Sure, it would get used, but, it wouldn't really be used to make anything more viable than it currently is except maybe for letting Blaziken and Swellow pull off Talen's Pidgeot.

But, yeah, TWave would be whored alot if it could be. However, it's not like there isn't any form of compensation for the loss of such a whored status alterer - infact, it's safe to say that status alterers will play a role in R/S battling, instead of being "The reason we use Heal Bell, apart from Rest" they were in GSC. Or, at least. Game Freak saw it that way considering the number of Counters to status altering now in the game (Safeguard as TM / Magic Coat / Refresh / Healing Nature / Synchronise / Facade / Smellingsalt)

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.