The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Oddish Memorial Lecture Hall   » Team - Sapphire Shards

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Team - Sapphire Shards
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ninetales - Will-O-Wisp, Roar, Overheat, Grudge @Salac Berry &Flash Fire
Personality: +Special Attack, -Attack
Effort Values: Max Speed, Max Special Attack

It's the "disposable Gengar of R/S". Basically, she burns, she grills with Overheat and then runs away with her tail between her legs, and uses Grudge for those final moments so that whatever attack took out Ninetales is a problem no longer. The Salac Berry is for increasing speed "in a pinch", so we can be sure of that Grudge getting in - although, I don't know exactly what a "pinch" is. Roar is for a little pseudo-hazing action, and also so that we can spread out the burnage. Sure, it might all go with a Heal Belling or Aromatherapy or some crazy trait not letting me Burn a Pokemon, but, it'll still be there for the early game and Roaring the opponent around to see what they're packing is always a good thing.

Pity Ninetales will be mighty fragile, though. Probably won't be my starter for much longer, but, you do have to start somewhere.

Absol - Substitute, Double Team, Taunt, Slash @Leftovers &Pressure
Personality: +Defense, - Special Attack
Effort Values: Max Hit Points, Half Attack, Quarter Defense, Quarter Special Defense

It's Double Team and Substitute! But, instead of being the support mechanism of the moveset, it's being supported by the moveset.

Infact, it's basically all one big combo. Taunt is for all those counter-defensive moves that could threaten me, but, I do have to have mad prediction skills for that as Absol is lacking in the speed department. Pressure is nice since it means the opponent's PP drains twice as fast, and Slash is an attack with a nice amount of PP and a chance of Critical Hitting - which could become very fun. Oh, and Leftovers are for some very slow recovery incase Absol lasts long enough in battle for it to be worthwhile as an attachment.

Heracross - Megahorn @Choice Band &Swarm
Personality: +Attack, -Special Attack
Effort Values: Max Attack, Max Speed

Now, this is where R/S gets fun. The crazy ideas. If there's been a Pokemon and a move that I've most favoured, it'd be Heracross and Megahorn. In GSC, I used Megahorn/Rest/Sleep Talk @Silverpowder. But, this is R/S, and there's no Sleep Talk TM, and also it works differently, so there's no free recovery when you're asleep and Sleep Talk picks Rest again. So, I have to come up with another crazy idea for Heracross which will result in me being told that it's crazy and it won't work and that I really need some more moves on that moveset.

Anyway, we have Choice Band. This is the key to this moveset - it's an item which boosts an attack by 50% - at the compromise that that is the only attack that can be used by that Pokemon. Which, of course, is far too fun for me to pass up - especially on a Pokemon with a high attack, with a personality boost, a trait boost (when it's below 1/3 HP, it's another 50% boost to Megahorn), high speed - especially with the effort value distribution - and, and, it's a Heracross. Which, of course, makes it all far cooler.

Ninjask - Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Silver Wind, Rest @Lum Berry &Speed Boost
Personality: +Defense, -Special Attack
Effort Values: Max Hit Points, Half Speed, Quarter Defense, Quarter Special Defense

OMG! Standard R/S Baton Passer! WTF!

It's like, perfect. High speed, free Agility passing, Silver Wind so that Lady Luck can let us pass all-round boostages, and even Swords Dance to round it all off. Lum Berry is a Miracle Berry for all of you not up with the R/S items, and it's really there for recovery with Rest plus some status protection if people want to get tricky with that.

Cradily - Rock Slide, Earthquake, Recover, Ingrain @Leftovers &Suction Cups
Personality: +Attack, -Special Attack
Effort Values: Max Hit Points, Half Attack, Quarter Defense, Quarter Special Defense

Target for Ninjask. Personally, I think Cradily was cooler when it was called Yureidoru, but, oh well, it's still rocking the house. Suction Cups stop Cradily being Roared or Whirlwinded out of battle, and Ingrain is a crazy move that provides healing like Leftovers after it's been used, at the compromise that you can't switch the user out of battle. But, that's fine by me, since if I use it, I'll be sure that Cradily is dishing the damage out. Also, with Recover, hopefully Cradily will extend it's survivablity along way - all the better to whack away with.

Roselia - Aromatherapy, Rest, Spikes, Giga Drain @Leppa Berry &Natural Cure
Personality: +Speed, -Attack
Effort Values: Max Hit Points, Half Defense, Quarter Special Defense, Quarter Speed

Heal Beller with Aromatherapy, and Spiker. Yeah. That's about it. Oh, the Leppa Berry is like Mysteryberry, only twice as effective - it recovers 10PP...oh, and Resting/switching with Natural Cure for waking up.

[ 03-21-2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Tghost ]

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crimzonite
Farting Nudist
Member # 307

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 04:29 AM      Profile for Crimzonite     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tghost:
The Salac Berry is for increasing speed "in a pinch", so we can be sure of that Grudge getting in - although, I don't know exactly what a "pinch" is.

It means when your Pokemon is low on HP, it will use the Berry.
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 04:55 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, but, how low is low?

- - - - -

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it means in the red - -20% HP - however, I could be wrong.

Ninetales: Hey, you stole my line. Didn't think about Overheat on mine - more accurate, more damaging, and (s)he's gonna die anyway. [Smile]

Absol: Ooh, nasty. Beware of the new Swifts (Shock Wave/Aerial Ace).

Heracross: ooook... If this works for you, go nuts. However, are you sure it has to be the only move? Or could it just be the only attack?

Ninjask: Meep.

Cradily: Too bad it can't learn Leech Seed, huh? 20% recovery every round = godly. Looks good.

Roselia: I can see it working, but there's something about 8 PP (16 w/berry) on your only attack that bugs me... If Roselia could learn anything else, give it a shot.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
JP Nogueira
Farting Nudist
Member # 962

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for JP Nogueira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think your Heracross would work better in 2vs2 battles, with a Speed bonus, and Helping Hand from a parter. 120 + 60 (Stab) + 60 (Choice Band)+ 60 (Swarm) + 60 (Helping Hand)= [Big Grin]

- - - - -
----======= (o)
JP Noga
Gym Leader from Brazil

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 03-21-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ninetales
Hey, you stole my line

Actually, I 'stole' more than that. I was looking through the teams posted here for good ideas with which to create a starting point of a team from. Ninetales pretty much jumped off the page. Then, of course, I thought of Overheat and that settled it that I should use it, even if just to show how ideas can build atop each other.

Absol
Ooh, nasty. Beware of the new Swifts (Shock Wave/Aerial Ace).

Once I find, or create, a nice stats calc and damage calc, I'll check to see just how much damage they can deal.

Heracross
ooook... If this works for you, go nuts. However, are you sure it has to be the only move? Or could it just be the only attack?

I have no idea. I guess I'll find a Choice Band in the game and see how it works.

I think your Heracross would work better in 2vs2 battles, with a Speed bonus, and Helping Hand from a parter. 120 + 60 (Stab) + 60 (Choice Band)+ 60 (Swarm) + 60 (Helping Hand)= [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] indeed. I'll keep that in mind for when I finally do do a 2v2 team.

Roselia
I can see it working, but there's something about 8 PP (16 w/berry) on your only attack that bugs me... If Roselia could learn anything else, give it a shot.

The problem is that Roselia doesn't learn much else. There's Sludge Bomb, but, Roselia's Attack is juist above half her Special Attack, and without putting experience into the Attack, well, you wouldn't get very far with that. There's Magical Leaf, but, it's just a Grass-based Swift, and that would probably mean I'd try to use Roselia against evaders, which is a bad thing, then there's like, Petal Dance and Solarbeam but Petal Dance is "KO me in 3 turns I can't do anything, kthxbye", and Solar Beam leaves Roselia in battle too long, when it should really just Aromtherapy, Rest, maybe Spikes or Giga Drain if there's the time, and run.

Basically, I've got the feeling that this is the orthodox / standard Roselia moveset. Especially since it's already been seen on infested_grapefruit's team.

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.