The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Oddish Memorial Lecture Hall   » [RuSa] OMG! Teamage! WTF!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [RuSa] OMG! Teamage! WTF!
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 03:46 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, here's my first team for R/S..it's for 202...(heh, now this is a change around from about 3 weeks ago, when I thought I'd stick to GSC for a while until R/S was more stable, but, whatever)

Alakazam - Psychic, Encore, Recover, Englighten @TwistedSpoon
Personality: +Speed, -Attack
Stats: Max HP, Max Speed
Characteristic: Synchronize

So, I was looking at a way to use some of my old movesets in R/S, and I quickly started mucking around with a quick and dirty stats calculator in Excel (got the personalities, stat experience, and IVs all covered), and I was mucking around with Alakazam, looking at rsdex.txt occasionally to think of movesets. And then my Encoring Alakazam starter from GSC jumped out and got me by the neck and dragged me to the fact that, you know, now he had Amnesia Lite from RBY and a way to get those starters who gave him a status altering. Thanks, R/S, you made my starter better!

But, yeah, Kazam hits with Psychic first turn, then tries to Encore something decent, starts Englightening himself for a while, and then either; let's loose the Psychics or runs with his proverbial tail between his legs from a Dark type.

Bashaamo - Build-Up, Sky Upper, Mirror Move, Flamethrower @Quick Claw
Personality: +Attack, -Special Attack
Characteristic: Raging Fire

What's a first team for a new game without one of the starting Pokemon in it? And, the fire type one at that. ^_^

But, yeah, Fire / Fighting with dual STAB, then new Curse, and Mirror Move! It's like all my Pokemon Christmases came at once!

-Special Attack since I had to nerf something to get the + on Attack, and Flamethrower is still STABbed, and will only really be used on the Pokemon it hurts, anyway.

Abusoru - Substitute, Double Team, Slash, Taunt @Leftovers
Personality: +Defense, -Special Attack
Stats: Max HP, Half Attack, Quarter Defense, Quarter Special Defense
Characteristic: Pressure

Substitute and Double Team in R/S? Do I think it'll work? Yeah. You know, there's Pressure to kill PP, and Taunt to stop all those moves except the pesky 60-base damage always-hitters. Well, guess what? Sub can take them. Slash for CHs, as Abusoru can PP Waste like no-one's business with Sub, DT and Pressure, so I may as well try to intice Lady Luck to my side.

Skarmory - Spikes, Roar, Anti-Repeat, Rest @Mint Berry
Personality: +Special Defense, -Attack.
Stats: Max HP, Half Defense, Half Special Defense
Characteristic: Solid

Okay, so it doesn't have an attack, unless you count Spikes + Roar, but, it's not like Skarmory attacking ever does that much. He Spikes, he absorbs OHKO PP, he Roars, and he uses his massive defenses to do unprotectecd Rests after his Mint Berry runs out. Only Flamethrower and Thunderbolt as TMs to fear..eep.

Bakuuda - Return, Sleep Talk, Rest, Roar @Leftovers
Personality: +Attack, -Speed.
Stats: Max HP, Max Attack
Characteristic: Soundproof

Well, he's a Sleep Talker. One of the few in R/S. -_-. But, he's slow enough to pull off Roar with it going on the same move priority as Sleep Talk (ie, it won't go always last if used by Sleep Talk and the opponent's slower), but, I don't reckon on anyone being slower since Build-Up puts the emphasis on speed. Return's so he can hit, and his attack ain't bad, especially with the personality boost, and max stat experience for it.

Wobbuffet - Counter, Mirror Coat, Encore, Splash @Leftovers
Personality: +Speed, -Defense
Characteristic: Kagefumi

Wobbu gets Free Mean Look! Wobbu gets free Mean Look!

Yeah, Encore something, hopefully an attack, Counter/Mirror Coat appropiately, otherwise waste that PP with Splash.

Overall
Okay, so Nukenin is immune to pratically everything this team has, but, ehh.

Oh, and mention 386 in this topic, and I'll...umm..do something..crazy..yes...

[ 12-12-2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Tghost ]

- - - - -
My brain went on vacation and left my pancreas in charge

From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Turbo X
Farting Nudist
Member # 1808

posted 12-12-2002 06:51 AM      Profile for Turbo X     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off let me say....I have no idea who/what two these pokes are, and not many people have any clue whatsoever of a true strategy yet. Just my two cents worth.

Kazam: He can get all the Enlightenment that he wants, but it still won't change the fact that his pathetic Def will always stay with him. I'm not sure how the metagame will turn out to be like, but I'm pretty sure you'll figure out how to work you're way around that.

Abusoru: Not sure what type of poke this is, but from the moveset, it looks like a Normal (hence the STAB on Slash, if I am correct). Anyway, the +Def, Taunt, and Pressure (and Lefties) make him. I'm glad there's a new twist to DTsubbing. And best of all, IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAN WORK!!!! LoL

Skarm: Either he'll be really useful with legendaries/semi-legendaries romping around, or he'll be a complete waste of a poke if there isn't anything worthy of being Roared out, having no attacks on him and all.

Oh, and................386. j/k, d*mn f'n sharkers.

- - - - -
I mean, goldfish lamp wallpaper skeleton in my Bavarian Star or what? Flowers mirror computer Smurfs every time Moses flies playing cards in or around Paris.

From: N-town, PA, U.S. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 02:26 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Abusoru's a Dark type, actually. But, it doesn't matter that there's a lack of STAB on Slash since his attack's pretty high.

Skarmory is probably going to be a bit of a dead weight, but, he'll still get some use - even if just for the Spiking.

- - - - -

dr.steelix
Farting Nudist
Member # 2734

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for dr.steelix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please explain how exactly does anti-repeat work.

- - - - -
i am sorry

gruco
I am Ian Garvey's lovechild.
Member # 1645

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for gruco        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Love the Bashaammo and Abusoru...

Skarmory really should have an attack...he won't be doing much as is...I don't understand the value of anti-repeat on the set either.

I also think you could go for something that has a bit more of a utility role than that Bakuuda. Bashaammo is the only thing with more than one attack on there as of now, which means this team could be run in circles pretty easily.

BTW, is there a good list of attack descriptions anywhere? I'd like to start designing teams, but it's tough when I can't consider what half the moves are going to be doing....

Tenshi no Myu
Farting Nudist
Member # 1120

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Tenshi no Myu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anti-Repeat keeps the opponent from using the same attack twice in a row.

- - - - -
It hung on with Focus Band!

From: Seattle Below | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dr.steelix
Farting Nudist
Member # 2734

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for dr.steelix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone already knew that, I asked what it does exactly, it means that there can be questions such as:
  • Does it have to be used after the other pokemon attacks?
  • If after, does it work only on the move after which it was used or does it make the opponent cycle through his moves?
  • If before, does it select a random move or make the opponent cycle?
  • How long does the effect last?
  • Does it work on all moves or only certain classes of moves and if yes then which classes?

- - - - -
i am sorry

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-12-2002 07:19 PM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Love the Bashaammo and Abusoru...

Yeah, they're both easily the best Pokemon out of this team.

Skarmory really should have an attack...he won't be doing much as is...I don't understand the value of anti-repeat on the set either.

Only gets hit once by a super-effective attack. Well, if Anti-Repeat does what I think it does.

I also think you could go for something that has a bit more of a utility role than that Bakuuda. Bashaammo is the only thing with more than one attack on there as of now, which means this team could be run in circles pretty easily.

I probably could. Just looking over it, I'm thinking that Bashaamo and Abusoru are definite solids for my next R/S team, but the rest (maybe not Kazam - got to mind that defense though) could probably sit it out. Although, Wobbu looks to be mondo funage.

BTW, is there a good list of attack descriptions anywhere? I'd like to start designing teams, but it's tough when I can't consider what half the moves are going to be doing....

I have no idea. But, I'm finding enough of the old moves to get a few things on the go. They'll all come together once there's more info.

- - - - -

Tghost
Farting Nudist
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
posted 12-17-2002 07:17 AM      Profile for Tghost   Author's Homepage   Email Tghost   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And, it's back again, with a few Pokemon rolling over, and a few new additions - now that a few new moves have been figured out.

Alakazam - Psychic, Encore, Recover, Enlighten @TwistedSpoon &Synchronize
HP: 252~283 Def: 139~173 SpAtt: 275~306 SpDef: 175~206 Speed: 308~339

Alakazam is quite a hard Pokemon to get the stats right in R/S - you've got to get up that low defense or he's going to be cream-cake. I'll probably stop using Alakazam after I work out just how impossible it is to get a good one in the carts, but I'll try to breed one up before I give up. The speed had to be sacrificed abit, and you need to get good Defense and Speed and HP Genes for it to be worthwhile, ontop of a personality that boosted the defense and fell the attack. No short order.

Anyway, the moveset is a simple rollover from GSC, with the addition of Enlighten and the lovely effects of the Synchronize characteristic to get any Pokemon that tries to use a stats altering on Alakazam (or will inflict one via a characteristic anyway).

Alakazam uses Psychic first move to deal alittle damage and get a better scope on the opponent (if they're faster, bets are they've invested their stats in speed and not alot else), then use Encore if it's benefical, otherwise crank out some more Psychics, or try for some Enlightenment and see how the opponent responds. TwistedSpoon is because I didn't want a Berry to interfere with the functioning of Synchronize, and that little extra on Psychic isn't going to hurt.

Abusoru - Substitute, Double Team, Slash, Taunt @Leftovers &Pressure
HP: 303~334 Att: 265~296 Def: 157~188 SpDef: 157~188 Speed: 170~204

It's interesting enough to see how the strategy of Double Team and Substitute has gone from an easy way to prop up a Pokemon, to a strategy that has to be propped up by a Pokemon.

But, it's an Abusoru, and every move here works into the combination. Double Team still grants protection from alot of moves, Substitute grants protection from those 60 base damage always-hit attacks, Slash gives Abusoru an attack - and a decently CHing one at that, which is especially useful given that Pressure means that Abusoru will waste the opponent's PP twice as fast as usual, and then there's Taunt to hopefully disuade counter-defensive moves given proper timing (Abusoru is rather slow, so, I'll have to predict a move ahead), and then there's Leftovers for some recovery.

Although, as Cat Gonk has said, even a RPGimp could counter Double Team now, but this Abusoru's using more than Double Team. It should be able to do something, even if it only is stalling and getting hits using Slash.

Baashamo - Build-Up, Sky Upper, Blaze Kick, Mirror Move @Scope Lens &Raging Fire
HP: 333~364 Att: 245~276 Def: 160~194 SpAtt: 202~230 SpDef: 145~176 Speed: 228~259

Well, it's Baashamo. I mean, really, how could you make a team for a new Pokemon game and not use the Fire starter? It's tradition. That, and Baashamo is a really interesting Pokemon, since you can do alot with him. I've chosen to stick pretty traditional - dual STAB, a boosting move, and then the move I've always wanted to use on everything but a Pidgeot with Double Team and Substitute, Mirror Move. I thihk it could get a far few good moves.

Anyway, I play the guessing game with whether to use Blaze Kick or Sky Upper, and Build-Up can be used occasionally to boost that defense alittle and help out with Sky Upper, and I use Mirror Move whenever it strikes my fancy. Other than that, Baashamo will probably be doing alot of switching.

Kek-king - Wish, Hyper Beam, Neglect, Roar @Mysteryberry &Lazy
HP: 473~504 Att: 325~356 Def: 205~236 SpDef: 136~167 Speed: 294~328

It's a utility Kek-King. Wish and Neglect are both 50% recovery moves, but Wish recovers the turn after it is used, and I can switch to another Pokemon, and Neglect is here to keep Kek-King in good shape for when he's needed.

Hyper Beam is here because while it does still take the time to recharge, it uses the turn Kek-King would normally be doing so (except you can't switch Kek-King out on the Hyper Beam recharge), and the Mysteryberry is for the fact that Hyper Beam's PP is not the best. It will be used mostly as a finishing attack, given Kek-King's speed and attack.

Roar is on Kek-King since he's a nice utility Pokemon and what better filler for a utility Pokemon than Roar?

Tekkakanin - Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Silver Wind, Rest @Miracle Berry
HP: 295~326 Att: 185~216 Def: 95~126 SpDef: 105~136 Speed: 426~460

Silver Wind and Rest are fillers, really. The real meat and potatoes of Tekkakanin is just Swords Dance and Baton Pass. It doesn't need to do much, really. Take one hit at the most, and Baton Pass off to Yureidoru. Should really be switched in after a KO, use Swords Dance first turn, then Baton Pass. Quite simple, really.

Yureidoru - Rock Slide, Earthquake, Recover, Ne-O Haru @Leftovers &Sucker
HP: 345~376 Att: 167~198 Def: 199~230 SpDef: 219~250 Speed: 169~203

Tekkakanin's target.

Yureidoru has the very fortunate combination of it's characteristic making it immune to Roar/Whirlwind, learning Ne-O Haru, having attached Leftovers, Recover, reasonably good defenses, enough attack and speed to be boosted by Tekkakanin, and STAB on Rock Slide. In short - Yureidoru rocks the house.

Look at it this way - after Tekkakanin's boosts, that attack is between 334 and 396, it's speed will be between 253 and 304. So, yeah, Yureidoru is fun.

- - - - -

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.