The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Kabuto Archaeological Society   » Anyone still here?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone still here?
Roaming
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
posted 05-23-2007 06:12 AM      Profile for Roaming     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One for old times.. my PBS team

Roaming's Team:
ALAKAZAM
Move #1: PSYCHIC - 16/16
Move #2: THUNDER WAVE - 32/32
Move #3: KINESIS - 24/24
Move #4: RECOVER - 32/32

SLOWBRO
Move #1: SURF - 24/24
Move #3: AMNESIA - 32/32
Move #4: REST - 16/16

CHANSEY
Move #1: ICE BEAM - 16/16
Move #2: THUNDERBOLT - 24/24
Move #3: MINIMIZE - 32/32
Move #4: SOFTBOILED - 16/16

SNORLAX
Move #1: BODY SLAM - 24/24
Move #2: EARTHQUAKE - 16/16
Move #3: HYPER BEAM - 8/8
Move #4: SELFDESTRUCT - 8/8

TAUROS
Move #4: BLIZZARD - 8/8

VAPOREON
Move #2: BLIZZARD - 8/8
Move #3: HAZE - 48/48
Move #4: FOCUS ENERGY - 48/48

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 05-24-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there are people still here. Get rid of Blizzard though...

- - - - -
Weezing!

From: Hackensack, nj | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roaming
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2007 06:45 PM      Profile for Roaming     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
blizzard on what, in place of what, and why?
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 05-27-2007 08:46 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blizzard on both of your pokemon. Convince me that Blizzard is a good move to use on both of them.

- - - - -
Weezing!

Roaming
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2007 01:42 PM      Profile for Roaming     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're the one with a problem..

Vaporeon needs a second type of attack, clearly it or ice beam is your choice. Id rather have the overall higher power for OHKOs than the acc of ice beam.

Tauros is a sweeper, and is meant to stay in once it comes in. What would you put in place?

Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 05-29-2007 06:17 PM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dude, Blizzard has like 30% accuracy... Get Ice beam.

- - - - -
Weezing!

White Cat
Nobody knows why I'm an admin.
Member # 42

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2007 02:13 AM      Profile for White Cat   Author's Homepage   Email White Cat      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the Red/Blue/Yellow forum, where Blizzard has 90% accuracy.

(Or maybe it's 95%. It's been too long...)

Roaming
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2007 06:32 AM      Profile for Roaming     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its 90%.
Face
I invented cancer.
Member # 1916

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2007 09:39 AM      Profile for Face   Author's Homepage   Email Face   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, it's been awhile since I played R/B/Y. Anyway, your team looks good. No complaints.

[ 05-06-2009, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Face ]

- - - - -
Weezing!

cogito
Farting Nudist
Member # 3809

Member Rated:
posted 05-30-2007 11:59 PM      Profile for cogito   Email cogito   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never been a fan of Hyper Beam. I don't really like your Tauros at all. Its special isn't good enough to make good use of Blizzard, unless you're just trying to take down Golem or Sandslash.
Focus Energy, huh? So this means you're playing on Stadium, right?
I don't like Haze, either, but I understand it can be useful. I just never found I had the time to use it rather than an attack that actually does something.
Alakazam can probably learn something better than Kinesis.
Other than that I fully approve.

Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 06-06-2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Azureheights used Amnesia!

quote:
(Or maybe it's 95%. It's been too long...)
You were right first time - 90%

quote:
Its special isn't good enough to make good use of Blizzard, unless you're just trying to take down Golem or Sandslash.
Add Dragonite to the list (the smogon people actually wanted to ban Wrap on Dragonite. That's how powerful it had become). Plus, Blizzard will do more to Exeggutor than the Physical moves. Remember, we're fighting against about 12 different Pokemon, so specializing against 3 has a huge effect.

Even Earthquake has its place, to fight against Counter Chansey and Jynx (in RBY, ground doesn't trigger Counter) and to take down Gengar.

quote:
I have never been a fan of Hyper Beam.
It's mostly just for sweeping - ideally you'd only bust it out when there is nothing left except stuff that'd die to it on the switch anyway.

Doesn't work in Stadium so well, obviously. Substitute in that instance for T-wave blockage.

Onto the team:

Roaming's Team:
ALAKAZAM
Move #1: PSYCHIC - 16/16
Move #3: KINESIS - 24/24
Move #4: RECOVER - 32/32

Love this thing in standard rules battles. Usually takes the sleep, and perhaps has the best chance of surviving the wakeup. Can torture Exeggutor with Kinesis, and spread the par love around should they bail out.

For Stadium, Sub would probably be a better idea though. Stops sleep and par cold, and there are only a scant few things that can outspeed it and still apply a status (and most of them are electric types).

SLOWBRO
Move #3: AMNESIA - 32/32
Move #4: REST - 16/16

Don't have much faith in Toby anymore [Frown]

Starmie or Gengar usually comes in, rapes it with a critical hit after a few repetitions, and that's all she wrote.

On the bright side, Razor Leafers are almost non-existent. It's also a damn fine physical wall.

CHANSEY
Move #1: ICE BEAM - 16/16
Move #2: THUNDERBOLT - 24/24
Move #3: MINIMIZE - 32/32
Move #4: SOFTBOILED - 16/16

Minimize? Basic rules these days bans evade.

Well if you're going to make any of your monsters evaders, you may as well make most of the team evaders as well. Don't bother with Kinesis Zam when you could have DT Zam. Evading Snorlax is also a real biatch.

If you want to adapt to the common rules, try Counter or T-wave. It's a matter of preference really.

SNORLAX
Move #4: SELFDESTRUCT - 8/8

Standard, nothing to say.

TAUROS
Move #4: BLIZZARD - 8/8

Ditto, except Sub over Beam if Stadium.

VAPOREON
Move #2: BLIZZARD - 8/8
Move #3: HAZE - 48/48
Move #4: FOCUS ENERGY - 48/48

Vaporeon can tank very well, and can dish out a lot of pain with Focus Energy. But its low speed combined with the turn to power it up make it less able to take advantage of those facts. Plus, Starmie rapes this thing.

I'd actually prefer Lapras, since you can Confuse Ray the bastard Starmie on the switch, and deal out decently powered T-bolts (3HKO). Stabbed Blizzard doesn't hurt either.

I'm guessing that this is your evasion counter, so it may have more merit in an evasion environment. Rest might be a better idea than Focus Energy, if only for things that can only hope to whittle you down slowly.

All in all, this is actually a pretty solid team. No major holes really... Starmie can give you a bit of trouble, but the lack of Eggy or ground type buffs you up a bit against it. Chansey is about the only thing that can counter it without support, and then only by freezing it. So the fact that you aren't that weak against its attacks is a great boon.

Physical stuff, namely Snorlax, might give you a bit of trouble. Then again, that'd be a prime opportunity to bust out Slowbro.

You don't have an explosion catching guy. Gengar, Rhydon, or even Cloyster to a degree can eat the many explosions thrown about. Without them, your opponent can often pull off a double KO when it would have been a single against them, or snipe key members of your team. There's plenty of exploders to go around, with as many as 3 members possessing the move... so this should be something to consider, at least.

You may want to stick a sleeper in there somewhere. Most of the time, using a sleep move is like a free kill. Not so much in Stadium... but outside of it, its difficult to wake up in time to redeem any turns out of the monster.

Other than those things, I'd have to say that this is a pretty solid and original team.

Edit: I forgot an important issue - electric types. Without a ground type, these things can be downright nasty... especially Jolteon. Jolteon, backed by Focus Energy, has the potential to slay entire teams, or at least severely gut them. Something else to consider for your team.

[ 06-06-2007, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Pokegod ]

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doctor Unne
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 4148

Member Rated:
posted 11-24-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Doctor Unne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it's a PBS team, I would just get rid of all the Thunder Waves and Focus Energy, and replace them with Toxic. You could of course use sleep, but your only potential sleeper is Chansey so if you're not to change any of the Pokemon then Poison would probably be best.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.