The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Kabuto Archaeological Society   » What's wrong with Vileplume?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with Vileplume?
James Foertsch
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3250

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for James Foertsch   Email James Foertsch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone crap on Vileplume? I think Vileplume's a good choice. actually preferring it over Venusaur. Granted, it has no flexibility in the physical world, learning no physical attacks and no typing in any of the physical categories. The defense isn't great, either, but this is offset by a pretty high special, which practically is the defense rating in R/B/Y. It does what it can do, and does it well: eliminate Water Pokemon with ease (assuming they're not Water/Ice typing) has a reasonably strong recover move in Absorb when used against it's main strengths, rock and water. Petal Dance is better than people give it credit for (you should have the enemies you fight with Vileplume dead before the confusing takes effect). Acid is a potentially necessary side-track that kills bugs (if you ever see any) and takes advantage of the dual-typing. Out of the disabilities I take Sleep Powder over the paralysis (that's what T-wave's for, plus with the near guaranteed accuracy it's the only paralysis worthwhile). So my TM-less moveset is:

Petal Dance (main damage)
Absorb (secondary grass move, I usually don't double up but the healing is worth it)
Acid (may as well, the STAB makes it somewhat valuable in certain situations)
Sleep Powder (cuz the other powders suck)

Tell me what's wrong with this, thanks!

[ 02-26-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: James Foertsch ]

Donald
Bob the Builder
Member # 1551

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Donald   Email Donald      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Vileplume?

Not a damn thing.

From: In your girl's panties | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rolken
Vulcan
Member # 7

Member Rated:
posted 02-25-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Rolken   Author's Homepage   Email Rolken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's too slow and unwieldy. The only significant damage dealer is Petal Dance, and it leaves you open to a switch and Blizzard. Absorb and Acid have really low power, and poison isn't effective against too many types. While you may get lucky by putting a Blizzarder to sleep, you'll pretty much have to switch to something else or you'll get creamed...

TMs are generally good.

- - - - -
[insert sig here]

James Foertsch
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3250

Member Rated:
posted 02-26-2003 04:14 PM      Profile for James Foertsch   Email James Foertsch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What TMs would you give to Vileplume? It has horrible flexibility in that area.
Lunair
Farting Nudist
Member # 681

Member Rated:
posted 02-26-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Lunair     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a Poison-type Pokémon - and so is weak vs. Psychic attacks. Go here: http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/attacks/comp/psychic.htm
Poor Poison - they made Fighting into a viable type in G/S, but Poison got even more screwed over with the introduction of Steel-type Pokémon (note that Poison, IMO, should be SE vs. Steel - I mean, acids and stuff pit and rust steel, right? But yeah, I understand the rationale for making Steel immune.), and the shuffling around of Poison's attacking/defending strengths and weaknesses.

- - - - -
"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." Terry Pratchett, The Truth.

From: United Union of Onions | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
SDShamshel
Farting Nudist
Member # 791

Member Rated:
posted 03-05-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for SDShamshel   Email SDShamshel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let me expound some info on my favorite Pokemon.

Vileplume has better survivability than Victreebel, and can Stun Spore, unlike Venusaur. Practically, that's really the only reason to use Vileplume. So if you're looking for a status platform with good defenses that is not Exeggutor, Vileplume can fit the bill nicely.

Absorb is worthless in battle; you should just go with Mega Drain. Mega Drain isn't that powerful either, but it's certainly better than Absorb.

Petal Dance CAN be used, but only in specific sets, such as a Pandora Set. DT, Rest, Sub, Petal Dance. You can just kind of sit back and let Petal Dance do all the work. Otherwise, use Petal Dance like you would Selfdestruct: one final kamikaze attack.

Acid is excessively weak and simply not worth it unless you're desperately hoping to drop some defenses.

Sleep Powder is better in the gb games, but Stun Spore is better in the stadium games.

TMS...

Swords Dance
Mega Drain
Substitute
Double-Edge
Body Slam

J Man Cool
Farting Nudist
Member # 2099

Member Rated:
posted 03-14-2003 11:24 PM      Profile for J Man Cool   Email J Man Cool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it's obvious that he was doing a variation of the goddish set.

Goddish still owns you.

- - - - -
bagels

James Foertsch
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 3250

Member Rated:
posted 03-24-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for James Foertsch   Email James Foertsch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna go into Rookie Pokemon player for a minute here and ask, what's the Goddish move-set?
J Man Cool
Farting Nudist
Member # 2099

Member Rated:
posted 03-30-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for J Man Cool   Email J Man Cool   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Goddish
Absorb
Petal Dance
Sleep Powder
Solarbeam

- - - - -
bagels

GGFan
gobble gobble
Member # 3821

Member Rated:
posted 08-04-2005 11:54 AM      Profile for GGFan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It plays second fiddle to Venusaur and Victreebel. Venusaur and Victreebel are both better because they get Razor Leaf. Vileplume has to stick to Mega Drain. They both have better speed than Vileplume. Vileplume is crapped on but not the way you say it is. Venusaur and Victreebel are both better choices in online play so Vileplume gets the shaft.

- - - - -
Co-winner of the Biggest Douche of the Year Award.

GGFan
gobble gobble
Member # 3821

Member Rated:
posted 08-04-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for GGFan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And how does Vileplume have better "survivability" than Victreebel? They both get raped by psychic, fire and semi-raped by ice attacks. Vileplume has 40 more points of defense than Victreebel. So? They both get simiarily crushed by their weaknesses. And you'll find that Vileplume isn't exactly a defensive tank when taking physical attacks.

Victreebel can also double powder and does a better job at it than Vileplume because it has a better attack stat and more speed. Vileplume takes an average damage of 33% from a Snorlax Body Slam. Victreebel takes an average damage of 40% from a Snorlax Body Slam. But both of them fall victim to Body Slam, Body Slam, Hyper Beam. The defense isn't really that much of an advantage point for Vileplume, at least not enough to give itself the individuality to be used over Victreebel or Venusaur for a reason other than "ok im gonna try sumtin different" or "k tis is my fun team"

And while Venusaur can't double powder, it makes up for it by being one of the best lead sleepers in the game. As well as sharing Vileplumes defensive traits. And Victreebel is a much better double powder Pokemon than Vileplume so what does Vileplume have that encourages it's use? Defense? That's certainly not enough.

So in conclusion, that is the full explanation as to why Vileplume isn't used that much in online play.

[ 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: GGFan ]

- - - - -
Co-winner of the Biggest Douche of the Year Award.

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.