The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Kabuto Archaeological Society   » Jolteon's Pin Missile... useless?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jolteon's Pin Missile... useless?
Atma
Farting Nudist
Member # 689

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Atma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The RBY standard for Jolteon is Thunderbolt/Thunderwave/FocusEnergy/PinMissile.
But why Pin Missile? Body Slam or Double-Edge would be better.

No, I'm not kidding. Yes, Pin Missile is SE against the psychics that rule RBY, but that's countered by Pin Missile's extreme weakness. Here are the damage results against Alakazam (this assumes no CH):

2-hit: 51-60
3-hit: 74-88
4-hit: 100-118
5-hit: 124-146

I don't remember whether RBY multi-hit atacks are 25% chance each for 2/3/4/5 hits or 3/8 for 2-3 hits and 1/8 for 4-5 hits, so I'll calculate average both...

Average damage (25% each for 2-5 hits): 87.25-103
With acccuracy figured in: 74.1625-87.55
Average Damage (3/8 for 2-3 hits, 1/8 for 4-5 hits): 74.875-88.5
With accuracy figured in: 63.64375-75.225
BodySlam: 74-88 (with 30% paralyze rate)
Double-Edge: 87-103 (with 22-26 recoil)
Thunderbolt: 89-105 (with 10% paralysis rate)

CONCLUSION: Pin Missile sucks. Even thoguh it's SE against Psychics, the only time it's better than Body Slam or Double-Edge is against Eggy (or other *4 weaknesses), or with Beedrill's STAB. And Beedrill has Twineedle, which is better.

After three years, it's time to close the book on Pin Missile.

- - - - -
"My name is Atma...
I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer..."

From: Cinnabar Isle, Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 10:59 AM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you fear Dugtrios, use Hyper Beam.

Seriously.

Use Focus Energy on the switch-in, then Hyper Beam the Dugtrio for a KO.

It's pretty funny how you can trick some people with that.

- - - - -
Nine out of ten Zacks endorse stupidity.

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uiru
Sketch Molester
Member # 437

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 12:44 PM      Profile for Uiru   Author's Homepage   Email Uiru   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A Jolteon's Hyper Beam can OHKO a Dugtrio? XD That's fantastic... ^_^
~Uiru

- - - - -
TIDUDSOFIEIHUGHEXXXC: "maybe he will let you touch his blow up do"

AFRO NOOOOOOO!!!

From: the floating castle of Newfoundland | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
MK
is somewhat large.
Member # 1445

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 12:58 PM      Profile for MK     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Uiru. I wouldn't put Pin Missle on a Jolteon now. I also wouldn't go with Double Kick (a friend of mine did that I think)... It just isn't worth it sadly.
Darth David
Orangutan Spouse
Member # 741

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 01:04 PM      Profile for Darth David   Author's Homepage   Email Darth David   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes! Listen to us, branners and I, people of the world listen!

USE SAND ATTACK!

ON EVERYTHING!

That is all. *goes to return next time atma posts a reference in the #pokebattle topic*

EDIT: And Atma! Too many numbers...;_;...my eyes hurt...*didn't actually read it as a result :p*

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Darth David ]

- - - - -
"I can't be everything, but I know the one who can"

NickWhiz1
Farting Nudist
Member # 30

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for NickWhiz1   Author's Homepage   Email NickWhiz1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:
A Jolteon's Hyper Beam can OHKO a Dugtrio? XD That's fantastic... ^_^
~Uiru

Minimum Damage: 242.7614973
Average Damage: 264.0171123
Maximum Damage: 285.2727273

It's not a guaranteed bet, but it's possible.

*reminds self to insert int operators into his Excel damage calc*

- - - - -
"Young love, with horns!"
-Toonami review of Ico (PS2)

[Rockzilla] Remember now, excuses are like asses, everybody has one and they all stink.

From: Toledo, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mewone
I have a pokemon as my username. I mean, come on.
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 06:12 PM      Profile for Mewone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why would you try for a CH Pin Missile against an Alakazam anyway? Thunderbolt would do more I think. Consider this as well: Pin Missile is for Grass/Poison types, as well as Eggy. Since Jolteon isn't the greatest against these types, Pin Missile comes in very handy.
From: Azure Heights | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pokegod
Farting Nudist
Member # 977

posted 10-28-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for Pokegod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, Pin Missle's purpose is for Exeggutors and the occasional grass/poison, not pure psychic types.

- - - - -
Pokegod... yeah, that won't look dumb in 10 years

From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
LordLocke
Farting Nudist
Member # 845

Member Rated:
posted 10-28-2001 11:50 PM      Profile for LordLocke   Author's Homepage   Email LordLocke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pin Missile's number-one reason for existance was Exeggutor. In the way-back machine, we can see that one of Jolty's biggest problems was point Exeggutor. Since it was already slower then nearly-anything, the speed loss wasn't that big of a deal (although losing 1/4 of his turns still sucked) and had defensive bonus from the Grass Type AND his fat Special stat.

Enter the Pin Missile, which at 4x damage, can make a serious dent in Exeggutor EVEN considering Jolteon's wussy attack.

The fact that Pin Missle raped Venusaur too was just bonus.

- - - - -
Return of the Mankey's Uncle.

It's not shopping if I don't plan to pay for it!

From: American Canyon | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.