The Azure Heights Forum

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Azure Heights Forum   » Main Campus   » Kabuto Archaeological Society   » Blastoise?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blastoise?
Houndoom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1996

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 07:01 AM      Profile for Houndoom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've started my yellow version again and my team is gyrados, aerodactyl. I also have a dratini but i'm not sure if i'm going to train that, any suggestions? I'm thinking about my team being:

Gyrados:

Thunderbolt
Surf
Hyperbeam
Ice beam

Jolteon:

Thunderbolt
Pin missile
Body slam
??? (haven't decied this one yet)

Aerodactyl:

Fly
Hyperbeam
Rock slide
???

Blastoise:

Ice beam
Surf
???
???

Any help?

- - - - -
Snorlax and Blissey rule

Gloomboy
Farting Nudist
Member # 462

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 07:29 AM      Profile for Gloomboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Newbie.

Drop Gyarados,you don't need two water types,and Gyarados is way too weak to electric attacks to be useful. Replace
it with a fire or grass type.

Don't give Jolteon Body Slam,it won't work with his awful attack. (I'd drop Pin Missile as well,but many people claim it works against Exeggutor.) Replace it with Thunder Wave or,if you lost TM45,Double Team. For the last space,put Reflect.

For Aero,you can't get Rock Slide on him. Drop Hyper Beam for Take Down and put Fire Blast in there,or something else. I dunno,I haven't played Yellow in a long time.

Blastoise is good,give him Earthquake/Dig and Body Slam/Skull Bash in the last spot.

- - - - -
"You forgot the part where Pikachu faints Rhydon with Thundershock..." - White Cat

"I don't care if you're lost. You show up here,you're nothing but a victim!" - Rocket Grunt under Goldenrod City

"That's what Hypnosis does; it fails horribly." - Uiru

From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
theclaw
Farting Nudist
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 08:34 AM      Profile for theclaw   Author's Homepage   Email theclaw   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool! A person who is using pokemon that I like for once. I use teams like that sometimes. I still like the old pokemon better.

- - - - -
Come to my web site at http://geocities.com/theclaw135 . My message board is at http://pub081.ezboard.com/btheclaw135selectriccastle.

From: Pokemon World | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gyarados: I never was a huge fan of this dude. He is very weak to electric attacks... and he gets no STAB for physical attacks, which is a shame because he has huge attack. I would go with Substitute, Surf, Thunderbolt, and perhaps Double-Edge.

Jolteon: Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Sand Attack, Focus Energy/Substitute/Reflect.

Aerodactyl: Nope... he can't get Rock Slide. Just because Lance can, it doesn't mean you can. Go with Hyper Beam, Substitute, Agility... if he learns it. If not, Supersonic, and then Double-Edge or Fly.

Blastoise: Like Gloomboy said, two water types are not needed, however, I object to his statement on Blastoise being good. He's half-way decent. Give him Substitute, Earthquake, Surf, and Blizzard.

You're going to need a lot of support on this team. That meaning, paralysis inducing moves and sleep moves. Those are needed. Good Pokemon choices are Exeggutor, Tangela, Chansey, Venomoth, Jynx, and perhaps Raichu.

Take Down is poopy. Double-Edge is better.

Fire Blast on Aero....

Meh... can come in handy...

Houndoom
Farting Nudist
Member # 1996

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Houndoom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about using eggy.

- - - - -
Snorlax and Blissey rule

Felixthecat
Farting Nudist
Member # 1647

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 09:10 PM      Profile for Felixthecat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gloomboy, I have to say you're being way to close-minded about gyrados. He can be very useful, with one up on dragonite in that he gets stabbed attacks, though granted, not great ones.

There are a few small differences, but if you compare gyrados and dragonite, they are basically identical, with dragonite winning out on a couple of small but key points, such as learning TWave. However, you cannot dismiss either one just because of their 4x weakness. Hell, Golem has two 4x weakness and an incredibly poor defensive stat for those two attack types as well. He gets OHKOed by a raichu, for christ sake, a raichu, with no stab and only a decent special.

In fact, ice is much more common then electric anyways. Electric types are in decline (though last battle I got my butt kicked pretty hard by a jolteon because I'm an idiot), and the only things with electric attacks are starmies and lapras's, or every so often a normal. And it's not like you won't see it coming. a 4x weakness simply isn't enough to dismiss something right off the bat.

With dragonite and articuno, he is one of the only flyers that can do crap against rocks, and can thus utilize their immunity to EQs. He has good flexibility, learning the electric and ice combo, and good stab with surf or hydropump, though some may see this as redundant if you're using blizzard. hyperbeam, DE, BS, or hydropump are all possible third and forth attacks, after Tbolt and blizzard.
I think gyrados is very usable, with his only real type worry being electric, assuming he doesn't do something stupid like switch into a rock slide.

Blastoise, on the other hand, is terrible, with no redeeming qualities. I don't care if he learns EQ. If you seriously want to try to stop a jolteon with a blastoise, by all means try.

And don't give aero fire blast just cuz he can use it. exactly what would it be good for, articunos that happen to be low on health? stick with DE, HB, sub and that confusion move, whatever it's called. Look, no one said he was good. But his type and stats are incredible, who cares if his best moveset includes three fillers.

Felix the Cat

- - - - -
cursebuff, I choose you!

From: Portland, OR / Beloit, WI | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CHaRiZaRd
Farting Nudist
Member # 994

Member Rated:
posted 08-15-2001 10:06 PM      Profile for CHaRiZaRd   Author's Homepage   Email CHaRiZaRd   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A couple of things, Felix.

Golem/Rhydon have 4x weaknesses to Grass and Water. We know that. The only reason people use them are because of their two types, rock and ground. They have extremely high attack scores, and also gain the STAB for moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide. This is apparently a hell of a lot more useful than Dragonite could ever be. He has good stats, but unfortunately, gains no STAB whatsoever, unless you're a fool who trades Dragonite to GS in order to obtain Wing Attack and Fly.

Gyarados (note the extra "a" in the beginning of his name, kids), on the other hand, does get STAB for water attacks. He can pull the same exact special attack combos that Dragonite can. I'm not giving credit to either Dragonite or Gyarados in respect to which one can fare in battle any better than the other. They have the same special scores. One Pokemon gets STAB for one type, the other Pokemon, with the same TM capabilities for the most part, gets no STAB.

When deciding move sets for either one, they should looked at in the same aspect. And no, ice is no more common than electric is. I'd say they're about equal in appearance, so both Pokemon are virtually screwed when sent out.

Both Pokemon should use Substitute in their move sets, for protection, in the same manner that a Golem or Rhydon would use it. In the case of Dragonite, who can get T-wave, it should be used often, and the last two attacks can be a combo of Ice and Electric. On Gyarados, the last three attacks can be surf, thunderbolt, blizzard, body slam, double-edge... hell, maybe even fire blast if you care for its usefulness.

Bottom line, their lack of STAB in their predominant stats is painful, in addition to their low speed and 4x weaknesses, it makes them less useful than Golem and Rhydon.

On a final note, don't even start to give me a newbie speech. I know Aerodactyl has something to be desired when it comes to special attacks. However, I brought this up during a discussion about a move set for Golem.

Aerodactyl has good attack, 308, we know. His only STABBED attacks are Fly, Sky Attack, and Wing Attack. No monkey in their right mind uses Aerodactyl to beging with, and furthermore, it's laughable when we presume to suggest Sky Attack in a move set. Sky Attack is immensely powerful with him, but it's immediately nullified by how easily it can be countered. Fly is decently good with Aerodactyl, and Wing Attack is leaning more on the iffy side. To an Exeggutor, his Fire Blast does more than his Wing Attack, but less than his Fly.

In a related case, Golem's Fire Blast does more damage to Exeggutor than his Rock Slide. Once again, it is laughable to even consider Fire Blast on a creature whose special is 208, but the damage calculator doesn't lie.

I didn't suggest Fire Blast on Aerodactyl to be stupidly versatile and just because he can learn it. I suggested it for a reason. If anyone is being a little narrowminded on an issue, it's you, Felix.

That confusion move is called Supersonic, by the way.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: CHaRiZaRd ]

DarkLickitung
I AM FRIENDS WITH ZACK_COMRADE IRL
Member # 1672

Member Rated:
posted 08-16-2001 12:09 AM      Profile for DarkLickitung   Email DarkLickitung   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gyarados should have Hydro Pump and Thunder; I mean, it's not gonna last long anyways, so just nuke 'em with 120 power attacks if you can. I gotta agree with Felix here, too. Gyarados rocks.

- - - - -
Nine out of ten Zacks endorse stupidity.

From: See You Auntie. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

© 2000-2016, Maximum Penetration Industries.

Karpe Diem

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author(s). The contents and links have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Miami.