This is topic POK Erythroid Myeloid Ontogenic! in forum Azure Pokemon Center at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001688

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 01-19-2005, 03:08 PM:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/509277/

Discuss?

Posted by Bugcatcher Ed (Member # 3289) on 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM:

The naming is obviously deliberate, or they'd've wound up with POKEMO or POKEMOF. I suspect the entire phrase was chosen to give the acronym, even assuming all parts are necessary, the word order is somewhat arbitrary. What I'd like to know is WHY? Did someone like pokemon enough to honor it with a scientific discovery? Did someone hate pokemon enough to name a cancer-causing gene for it? Is it intended as a joke, "Pokemon causes cancer"?

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 01-20-2005, 10:31 AM:

The investigators have named the gene POKEMON (for POK Erythroid Myeloid Ontogenic factor).

Where does the "POK" part came from? Was it made up purely to make the acronym?

Posted by Jenova (Member # 727) on 01-21-2005, 01:24 PM:

They coulda left it as Erythroid Myeloid Ontogenic factor... then I could've said that Emo really did cause cancer. Man, I hate emo.

Posted by Cheater (Member # 216) on 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM:

i looked through a few other news sources and it seems only a handful are willing to comment on the name connection. i guess the article in Nature kept it ambiguous so reporters aren't daring enough to speculate.

RedNova: A gene named Pokemon, after the popular computer game, may prove to be a molecular master-switch for cancer, scientists revealed last night.
Evening Times: A GENE named Pokemon, after the computer game, may prove to be a molecular master-switch for cancer, scientists revealed today.

popular indeed. but if it's so popular how come we've never heard of this computer game? it's a handheld game chumps.

Toronto Star: Pokémon's not just a Japanese monster

no kidding. it's 386+ japanese monsters.

Earth Times: “Pokémon is a main switch in the molecular network that leads towards cancer,” said lead researcher Dr. Pier Paolo Pandolfi, of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

would you look at that. could pandolfini explain why he is quoted as spouting an é?

Telegraph: Although it shares its name with the popular Japanese pocket monster cartoon characters, Pandolfi said it is purely coincidental.
Newsday: Dr. Pier Paolo Pandolfi, the study's lead investigator, said even though Pokemon shares a name with imaginary figures, whimsy was never intended. "This is very serious and the name was serendipitous, pure serendipity," Pandolfi said. Pokemon stands for POK erythroid myeloid ontogenic factor.

pure serendipity? yeah right you punk.

[ 01-22-2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Cheater ]

Karpe Diem