This is topic Pokemon Box announced for Game Cube in forum Azure Pokemon Center at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001564

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-15-2003, 11:02 AM:

It's basically a very large PC. Yay.

Click.

EDIT: Damn typo in an otherwise perfect post.

[ 04-15-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Porygone ]

Posted by The Muffin King (Member # 2240) on 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM:

Oh cum the fuck on.

Nintendo just got so much fucking lamer.

Posted by Zeni (Member # 3109) on 04-15-2003, 04:16 PM:

This could be a way to get old rbgs pokemon. *wishful thinking*

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 04-15-2003, 04:17 PM:

I dunno, my hopelessly optimistic interpretation of "a GameCube expansion disk designed to add to your adventures in the Game Boy Advance Ruby & Saphire titles" is "Uiru gets his Butterfree with super-accurate Stun Spore and Sleep Powder". Even if it is just the Pokémon Storage System in GameCube style, remember how insanely useful the labs were in the Stadium games?

Also, look: it's coming with a Mem Card 59 (for about the price of a Mem Card 59). Presumably, this game/app will take a considerable amount of space. What's it saving? 1500 Pokémon. I don't think it takes a third of a kilobyte to store one Pokémon's data. There could very well be something more to this.

Oh, and maybe you haven't noticed, but that's a POKéMON CRYSTAL game pak on one of those screens. Hmm.
~Uiru

[ 04-15-2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Uiru ]

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-15-2003, 04:24 PM:

Good point Uiru. This may finally be that legit way to import my lovely lovely Snorlax into my Ruby game.

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 04-15-2003, 04:32 PM:

There ain't nothing lovely about Snorlax. [Razz]

The problem with RBYGSC -> RS conversion, though, are the stats. Maybe they'll lop all the Stat EXP off, translate the IVs and let you retrain? Maybe they'll only allow Pokémon with no prior stat EXP? Or perhaps the older games are used simply to unlock new Pokémon in RS. Who knows. Regardless, that's a Crystal game pak on that screenshot, and if the screen was any better I'd be going over that list of Pokémon with a katakana table looking for names that shouldn't be there.
~Uiru

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-15-2003, 04:55 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Uiru:
Even if it is just the Pokémon Storage System in GameCube style, remember how insanely useful the labs were in the Stadium games?

Oh, and maybe you haven't noticed, but that's a POKéMON CRYSTAL game pak on one of those screens. Hmm.

Yeah, I remember how helpful they were for sorting out Pokemon based on stats and determining DVs and all, but my problem with it seems to be JUST a Stadium PC. I was hoping for just a bit more.

And no, I didn't notice it had a Pokemon Crystal Game Pak on one of the screens. Pokemon Box just got more interesting.

*wants his old friends to meet him again in Hoenn*

Posted by Coxy (Member # 2297) on 04-15-2003, 09:08 PM:

If it's as useful as the Poké Lab in PS2, then I'm there.

Linking up with the old versions sounds even better.

Posted by 10,000Lb.Snorlax (Member # 13) on 04-15-2003, 09:24 PM:

That looks dumb

Posted by veloS (Member # 2636) on 04-16-2003, 06:24 AM:

Thank God we won't have to pay the normal NGC price for this handy piece o'software.

I don't mind this at all.

Posted by JP Nogueira (Member # 962) on 04-16-2003, 11:48 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Porygone:

And no, I didn't notice it had a Pokemon Crystal Game Pak on one of the screens. Pokemon Box just got more interesting.

*wants his old friends to meet him again in Hoenn*

Oo'
You're right Oo'
It really seems a Crystal Gamepak in that picture Oo'

WTF! XD

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-16-2003, 02:16 PM:

Uiru, are you sure (with the low quality of the picture) that it's not a Sapphire game pak?

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-16-2003, 02:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
Uiru, are you sure (with the low quality of the picture) that it's not a Sapphire game pak?

Looks to me like its a Crystal Game Pak. The Sapphire Pak is a dark blue colour. In the PS2 PC, the Crystal Pak shows up as a Game Pak with a bright blue sticker on front, similiar to what is shown in the pic. Furthermore, the Game Pak in question is also square shaped, with a square 'indent' in the corner, very similiar to the original Game Boy cartridges. Pokemon Sapphire, being a Game Boy Advance game, would be more likely to show up as a rectangular cartridge, and wouldn't have a corner like that.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-16-2003, 03:42 PM:

Which picture? I don't seen ANY gameboy pkmn game in the background...

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-16-2003, 03:45 PM:

The third pic. The "Poke-spreadsheet".

Check the upper left corner. Yeah.

Posted by Crimzonite (Member # 307) on 04-16-2003, 04:30 PM:

But is it possible to have a regular Gameboy cartridge and the GBA-GC link cable on at the same time? I admit that I don't have a GBA-GC link cable, therefore I don't know if it blocks the cartridge slot or not.

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-16-2003, 05:35 PM:

Also this.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-16-2003, 09:28 PM:

Argh! A month away! And so close to E³! I'm sure we'll see it in action around that time.

But if this turns out to be another Snap game or Hey You, Pikachu, I'm gonna be so pissed.

Posted by Crimzonite (Member # 307) on 04-17-2003, 07:18 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Porygone:
Also this.

*shrugs* Palette has said for at least a month now that there will be a second Pokemon Gamecube game due out in December or thereabouts.

Edit: Here's Palette's listing for Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire ... http://www.pokepale.com/game/gc_poke3.htm

And here's the listing for the second game ...
http://www.pokepale.com/game/gc_poke4.htm

[ 04-17-2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Crimzonite ]

Posted by JP Nogueira (Member # 962) on 04-17-2003, 07:50 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Crimzonite:
But is it possible to have a regular Gameboy cartridge and the GBA-GC link cable on at the same time? I admit that I don't have a GBA-GC link cable, therefore I don't know if it blocks the cartridge slot or not.

Yes, you can use GBA-GC Link Cable with an old cartridge. So... perhaps you can use Pokémon Box to arrange your old pokémon in old games, without sending them to RS versions.

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 04-17-2003, 10:08 AM:

It'd seem somewhat silly to store metallics and gematics Pokemon on the same memory card without the ability to interchange them.

Looks to me like Nintendo's leveraging metallics trading to get hapless fans to buy a Cube.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM:

Hmm... if that's the case, I wonder if we'll be able to use old items on new Pokémon. If so, this could be the break we're looking for. Maybe not for R/S items, but at least for R/B/Y/G/S/C.

Posted by TeLeFonE (Member # 2293) on 04-17-2003, 08:03 PM:

Those bastards.. all this hype about a potentially good Pokemon game for the Cube wasted for a piece of shit idea like that. I wanted an actual game.

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 04-17-2003, 09:13 PM:

They didn't really hype it to be the Next Big Thing. It was practically done before it was announced, and they said it wouldn't cost very much.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-17-2003, 09:52 PM:

Yeah, when I heard that it was gonna be real cheap and there'd be two versions, I figured it'd be some sort of expansion for Ru/Sa. I wasn't expecting a PC though, more like maybe playing Ru/Sa in 3-D or something that expanded the gameplay of Ru/Sa like exploring new areas or maybe a way to sail to Kanto or Johto, something to connect the old games with the new ones.

I'm disappointed, but at least it's something, and of course there's that mysterious May announcement, just in time for Pokémon Heroes to come out in theaters.

Posted by Donald (Member # 1551) on 04-17-2003, 10:27 PM:

Copying from one memory card to another == easy TM and Pokemon duping.

*schwing*

Posted by Charmeleon42 (Member # 1066) on 04-17-2003, 10:32 PM:

Okay, here's the best use for this new pokemon box, that kicks the ass.

1. Give all 50 TM's to Zigzagoons or something.
2. Store them in your Pokemon box.
3. Insert second, empty memory card into slot #2.
4. Reset GC and goto main menu.
5. Copy PokeBox data to fresh card.
6. Enjoy all your new TM's [Big Grin]

<Donald> NINTENDO-SPONSORED CHEATING
<Donald> SCORE!

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-17-2003, 10:39 PM:

Hmm... I hope that works. 'Cause if you didn't know, Animal Crossing data can't be copied to other cards for some reason. Nintendo might just be smart enought to implement that sort of lockout for Pokémon.

[ 04-17-2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Ferquin ]

Posted by PikachuThunder (Member # 22) on 04-17-2003, 11:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Donald:
Copying from one memory card to another == easy TM and Pokemon duping.

*schwing*

Nintendo's way ahead of you. Either in the GameCube or Memory Card instruction manuals, it mentions that certain types of save data may not be copyable. I'd imagine this game would have such safeguards.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM:

See? Just like Animal Crossing!

Noooo...! Let's hope Nintendo overlooks this.

Posted by Thom Burr (Member # 1267) on 04-18-2003, 02:05 AM:

Wouldn't a USB memory card allow file copying no matter how many safeguards were built into Pokemon Box? USB cards made AC very hackable...

Posted by Jolt135 (Member # 1974) on 04-18-2003, 07:35 AM:

GBA MegaMem (if/when it exists) could care less whether or not the GCN data is write-protected. 10 minutes for instant 16x replication of anything and everything you could possibly want.

And to get around the GSC/RS conversion conundrum...could I be seeing "Enter the stat quality of this Pokemon (0-31):" ?

Posted by kikered (Member # 830) on 04-18-2003, 08:54 AM:

... the hell?! Just what we needed, something to throw off the "brand new start" of Ruby and Sapphire...

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-18-2003, 02:43 PM:

It was a brand new start. We all started fresh. Now we want our old Pokémon back. You gotta catch 'em all, right? And damnit! I want my Snorlax!

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-18-2003, 05:26 PM:

I must say I'm hoping that we will never be able to transfer RBYGSC Pokemon to RS, just the ability to catch the non-202 guys in the wild.

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 04-18-2003, 05:53 PM:

I wouldn't mind if a few species were allowed into the R/S games, mainly to pull off 'impossible' breeding combinations (like getting Plusle/Minun/Spinda/etc. with Wish).

Posted by Haruka (Member # 3300) on 04-18-2003, 08:58 PM:

Well, there's also an USB Memory Card for the Gamecube that would allow you to save a copy on the PC, take them off the memory card, copy the PC save to the card, remove..repeat.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-18-2003, 10:41 PM:

Wouldn't a USB memory card allow file copying no matter how many safeguards were built into Pokemon Box? USB cards made AC very hackable...

Yup. I've got one, it's very sweet...

It would allow you to do this...

*Transfer all 1337 Pokémon to USB memory card
*Backup save file onto your harddrive
*Transfer all pkmn to a friend or back to your GBA
*Restore previous save file to memory card...

You just cloned everything =)

Plus, with hex editing skills, you can edit the save file itself, giving us Jirachi, etc... without gamesharko =)

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-19-2003, 02:14 PM:

It can play R/S on the TV!

Well whoopty-frickin'-do! The PC is great and all, but with the GameBoy Player coming out for the Cube, this is just plain retarded.

[ 04-19-2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Ferquin ]

Posted by Charmeleon42 (Member # 1066) on 04-19-2003, 02:28 PM:

Say hello to Dodrio mode then.

This is nothing but good.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-19-2003, 02:55 PM:

Meh. They might as well have just said they're making Stadium, but without the stadium.

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 04-20-2003, 12:32 PM:

You'd pay more for a Stadium.

I would like to know if it'll have all the Lab functions, or if it'll just be the PC. I'd love to have the Pokédex location data.

Dodrio Mode... *drools*
~Uiru

Posted by Zeni (Member # 3109) on 04-22-2003, 08:49 PM:

Bad news.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/game/rubisafa/box.html

Little orange box on the bottom says:

As for this software, it cannot communicate with pocket monster red * green * blue * ピカチュウ * gold & silver * crystal version. In addition, we do not correspond to " the ポケモンスタジアム " series. This software to play, game boy advance itself or the game boy advance SP itself and ' the pocket monster ruby * sapphire ' is necessary.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-22-2003, 09:59 PM:

Well, there goes my 850+ hours of playing Crystal down the toilet.

This fucking BLOWS! What the fuck was the point of playing this game and raising teams just to find out they ain't worth squat in the next game? The thing I really liked about this series was the backwards-compatibility. Being able to start from the original series and upgrading them in the next series. It added longevity and a sense of continuity to the game.

I'm seriously getting fed up with this crap. I am this close to just giving up the game series all together. [Mad]

[ 04-22-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Ferquin ]

Posted by Ognob (Member # 1596) on 04-23-2003, 12:05 AM:

ahaha im glad

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-23-2003, 01:29 AM:

As for this software, it cannot communicate with pocket monster red * green * blue * ????? * gold & silver * crystal version.

Good.

Well, there goes my 850+ hours of playing Crystal down the toilet.

This fucking BLOWS! What the fuck was the point of playing this game and raising teams just to find out they ain't worth squat in the next game?

Don't be ridiculous. All your Pokemon in Crystal are still just as good as they've always been. And just how many RPG's allow you to carry your characters over to the sequel, anyway?

Posted by veloS (Member # 2636) on 04-23-2003, 05:42 AM:

Exactly.

Still, it would be nice if I could transport my old team to Ruby. Ah well...

Posted by kikered (Member # 830) on 04-23-2003, 05:04 PM:

Excellent. Time to get back to plotting noob (a.k.a. stupid dummy at my school) domination...

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-23-2003, 08:42 PM:

quote:
Don't be ridiculous. All your Pokemon in Crystal are still just as good as they've always been. And just how many RPG's allow you to carry your characters over to the sequel, anyway?

I still wanted to see how they'd compare to the new Ru/Sa Pokémon. I WANT MY DAMNED SNORLAX!!

In any case, the whole backwards-compatibility thing was really really appealing to me. I thought for sure that there'd be some way to keep that going. I mean, I thought that the others were still coded into Ru/Sa, right? This still sucks. I wanted to have fun breeding my Crystal Pokémon and having their offspring join up with my Ruby team. I miss my Snorlax! [Frown]

And to answer the other question, Golden Sun. And in a way, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-23-2003, 10:03 PM:

I still wanted to see how they'd compare to the new Ru/Sa Pokémon. I WANT MY DAMNED SNORLAX!!

Me too :massivetears:

We'll get the box for now, later they'll make a gamecube pkmn game that's a real game... in time...

- - - - -
The legs and thighs should make up roughly 75% of the entire vertical build of your character. This allows your character to run really fast and wear skirts with a hemline shorter than a pencil eraser. In an ideal world, women would simply be two large eyeballs lumped on top of a couple gigantic breasts resting on 8-foot tall legs. All the other nonessential parts, like the ribcage, arms, and neck, can be safely discarded and used on your next drawing of the uber-demon bent on destroying Neo-Tokyo2.

Posted by veloS (Member # 2636) on 04-24-2003, 04:36 AM:

You're missing the point, MK. Pokemon= Pocket Monsters. This game is meant to be played on the GB(A).

Everything that comes out on a homeconsole concerning PKMN, should just be like an add-on. Like Stadium. Like the Box.

Posted by PokéProGamer (Member # 2735) on 04-24-2003, 06:03 AM:

oh no S is coming with his pocket monster stuff again...

Posted by veloS (Member # 2636) on 04-24-2003, 07:38 AM:

STFU, my dear PPG.

We already had this conversation... [Wink]

Just you wait, man. June...

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 04-24-2003, 12:35 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ferquin:
quote:

In any case, the whole backwards-compatibility thing was really really appealing to me. I thought for sure that there'd be some way to keep that going. I mean, I thought that the others were still coded into Ru/Sa, right? This still sucks. I wanted to have fun breeding my Crystal Pokémon and having their offspring join up with my Ruby team. I miss my Snorlax! [Frown]

And to answer the other question, Golden Sun. And in a way, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

A clean break is a clean break is a clean break.

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-24-2003, 06:05 PM:

And I'm 99.6% sure that the other 184 Pokemon will eventually be catchable via GameCube Stadium or whatever.

Posted by mleo2003 (Member # 1618) on 04-24-2003, 06:11 PM:

I think that sometime in the future, they will make a way for the old Pokemon to transfer to the new game.

One reason takes a little thought. They expanded the DV's, but did it from 0 to 31, or 32 different values. The old games went from 0 to 15, or 16 values. It would be simple to transfer the DV's by multiplying the Old DV by 2, and either adding 1 or not adding one. This would fit the 0 through 31 bill easily. Natures can be given randomly, and Abilities are hard coded or random if there are more than one.

How the game will handle transfers "back in time", or from RS to the other games, seems almost as simple. For DV's, divide by 2, and chop off any decimals. The Natures and Abilities can just be forgotten.

A few other transfers taken care of, and the Transfer of Pokemon between versions is almost easy.

The only thing I see as a problem would be the transfer of EV's, since in the old games, there was no limit to EV's, and all stats could be max. They may just either reset the EV's, to be retrained again, or just Transfer them (with a divied by 255), and then leave the DV's at there minus status (like, a DV of 15 would just translate to 30, with no possibility of ever being 31). I am not sure about that.

[ 04-24-2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: mleo2003 ]

Posted by Twinkle (Member # 1690) on 04-24-2003, 08:15 PM:

So what would keep you from trading back and forth until you got a nature you wanted? Also, what would happen to the gender value and the HP and SP.DEF IVs? And the secondary ID number? And the contest condition, and the ribbons...

Personally, I think it'd suck to have a pokémon that won a ribbon in an official tournament to inadvertently lose it if you traded it backwards. Also, what about items that don't exist in R/S, like Berserk Gene? Would that just be limited like the moves? Same with Mail?

I don't even think there's enough unused spare data to pull off something similar to the held-item trick they did with RBY-GSC trading.

Posted by mleo2003 (Member # 1618) on 04-24-2003, 08:38 PM:

I guess I was just saying that it is possible, not probable. I would really like it myself if I could trade my old favorites up, so I guess my last post was just wishful thinking.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-24-2003, 09:08 PM:

Do what the original beta plan was with RBY to GS trading... make it a one way transfer... you can send a Snorlax to RuSa from RBYGS, but when you do, you get NO poke in return, and/or RuSa cannot send to the past... a one way trip prevents trading over and over to get the traits you want it to have...

- - - - -
The legs and thighs should make up roughly 75% of the entire vertical build of your character. This allows your character to run really fast and wear skirts with a hemline shorter than a pencil eraser. In an ideal world, women would simply be two large eyeballs lumped on top of a couple gigantic breasts resting on 8-foot tall legs. All the other nonessential parts, like the ribcage, arms, and neck, can be safely discarded and used on your next drawing of the uber-demon bent on destroying Neo-Tokyo2.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-24-2003, 11:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by veloS:
You're missing the point, MK. Pokemon= Pocket Monsters. This game is meant to be played on the GB(A).

Everything that comes out on a homeconsole concerning PKMN, should just be like an add-on. Like Stadium. Like the Box.

What with not being able to have the previous 184 monsters, the box is looking like a big waste now. It seems rather silly to have space for 1500 Pokémon when you only have the 200 available to you in Ru/Sa.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-24-2003, 11:30 PM:

Only a couple of reasons I want the box...

*possible dodrio mode
*nice way to store excess pokes
*my hex editor that comes with my USB memory card 'nuff said

Seriously, you all need to buy one of the USB memory cards... it's essentially a gameshark for any gamecube game, and I'll just change a couple of magikarps in box 12 into some Dittos and Snorlaxi

If anyone wants info on how/where to buy one let me know and I'll try to get you the info...

[ 04-24-2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: MK ]

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 04-25-2003, 06:44 AM:

So why not just buy a GameShark?
~Uiru

Posted by Twinkle (Member # 1690) on 04-25-2003, 08:07 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Snorlaxi

Snorlaxen.

Posted by Charmeleon42 (Member # 1066) on 04-25-2003, 09:13 PM:

So why not just buy a GameShark?

Because it's cooler to connect your GBA to your computer, use freeware, open-source hex-editors to do their work the long, tedious way.

The same reason people choose Linux over Windows.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-26-2003, 01:00 PM:

Thanks Char

Some semi-good news, we'll know more about pkmnbox soon, Japan's getting yet another demo disc for the gamecube and it has like a 2 min footage of the box on it...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/395/395093p1.html

We'll get a full stadium later I'm sure, and it better be good, online too...

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-26-2003, 01:11 PM:

It'd be great if it was online, but I kinda doubt Nintendo's online "plan" as in "no real plan to ever go online". As much as I love Nintendo, they just plain don't get it about online gaming. They'll never really get around to actually implementing it. They're just dragging their feet and letting the other systems get ahead yet again. But I digress...

Maybe on the next system, we'll have online Pokémon. Of course by then, man will have colonized space and we'll all have flying cars. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Fluorine (Member # 2904) on 04-26-2003, 01:33 PM:

Tradeforward would break the game apart. I mean, it would give RBY pokes a really unfair advantage, giving them access to about 100 different TMs instead of 50. Same thing for GSC pokes. All our beloved new RS duders would become almost useless in comparison to the more versatile RBYGSC ones. Therefore, I think it's better to just leave it that way.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-26-2003, 02:02 PM:

You know that we would have 3 different metagames then and I'd be happy as punch...

*RuSa only... no past influence
*RuSa catchable only, but old moves/tms ok for the 202
*RBYGSCRuSa galore! Anything goes!

(I personally want number 3)

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-26-2003, 02:42 PM:

I don't think that the RBY Pokémon would have a bigger advantage with more TMs. Look at all the wacky type mixes in the metallics and gematics. If anything, the newer Pokémon have more advantages, and they have much more interesting moves that they can learn on their own anyway or can have bred into them. I'm totally for an all out anything goes with all TMs for all Pokémon. Makes for much more interesting movesets and ultimately, more surprising battles.

Posted by Crimzonite (Member # 307) on 04-29-2003, 01:33 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Fluorine:
Tradeforward would break the game apart. I mean, it would give RBY pokes a really unfair advantage, giving them access to about 100 different TMs instead of 50. Same thing for GSC pokes. All our beloved new RS duders would become almost useless in comparison to the more versatile RBYGSC ones. Therefore, I think it's better to just leave it that way.

There is a way to change this for the best. Gamefreak could program it so that all 386 Pokemon can learn from all three TM sets. Add to this a Move Tutor that gives you access to both of the previous TM sets and you can have all sorts of combinations.

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-29-2003, 07:06 PM:

Ferquin: If anything, the newer Pokémon have more advantages, and they have much more interesting moves that they can learn on their own anyway or can have bred into them.

The old Pokemon get access to the same "interesting moves" through leveling and breeding, too.

Crimzonite: There is a way to change this for the best. Gamefreak could program it so that all 386 Pokemon can learn from all three TM sets. Add to this a Move Tutor that gives you access to both of the previous TM sets and you can have all sorts of combinations.

Oh, the humanity! Won't somebody please think of the Pokedex-maker!?!?

(Edit: Sorry for misattributing the Crimzonite quote to you, SDS.)

[ 04-30-2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: White Cat ]

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 04-29-2003, 07:53 PM:

That would be sick. Hilarious, but sick. *wants Counter on everything*

quote:
gematics
Stop using that word.
~Uiru

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-29-2003, 11:08 PM:

quote:
The old Pokemon get access to the same "interesting moves" through leveling and breeding, too.

True, but the newer Pokémon still have a lot of wacky dual types that make up for teaching old Pokémon new tricks. Water/Grass? Fighting Psychic? Rock/Grass? And of course Dark and Steel types helped to balance things out.

Newer Pokémon have a lot of advantages. Yeah, the old Pokémon can catch up, but you have to admit, GameFreak did a great job of trying to balance things out.

Posted by Fluorine (Member # 2904) on 04-30-2003, 09:59 AM:

I don't understand how the new dual types give new pokemon an advantage. Old pokemon also have interesting types. For example, there is the electric type (I count three new fully evolved electric types in RS, and they all suck), water/fighting, rock/dark, electric/flying, ice/flying, fire/flying, ice/psychic, poison/ground, steel/ground, steel/flying. None of these exist for the new pokes. I don't think it matters, anyway, but I'm just placing things into perspective, you know.

Posted by LanderZRPG (Member # 1615) on 04-30-2003, 10:11 AM:

Plus, the new pokes with good types get stuck with bad stats.....

Sableye and Medichamp and stuff... all bad stats [Frown]

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 04-30-2003, 04:55 PM:

quote:

SDS: There is a way to change this for the best. Gamefreak could program it so that all 386 Pokemon can learn from all three TM sets. Add to this a Move Tutor that gives you access to both of the previous TM sets and you can have all sorts of combinations.

I didn't say this. In fact, I'm against this.

Also, how would the older Pokemon have an unfair advantage?

Maybe the words "Thunder Wave TM" might bring something up.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 04-30-2003, 05:59 PM:

Pokémon is cool because you can raise and train your favorites... when I can't train a Bulbasaur, a Snorlax, or an Eevee of any kind something is seriously wrong...

- - - - -
"ganondorf is black." -wizpig

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 04-30-2003, 10:41 PM:

All I really want is my Snorlax brothas to roam free in the fields of Hoenn to eat and sleep as they please. Is that so wrong?

Posted by veloS (Member # 2636) on 05-01-2003, 05:09 AM:

Yes. It kinda is.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 05-01-2003, 09:45 PM:

Then I don't wanna be right.

Posted by Donald (Member # 1551) on 05-01-2003, 11:01 PM:

Get some new faves.

*huggles Milotic and Swellow*

*slides on spiked armor*

*huggles Cacturne*

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-02-2003, 12:06 PM:

a Bulbasaur
Treecko is a Grass starter who starts out a badass who doesn't take crap from no one, then ends up evolving into a rather disappointing form.

a Snorlax
Slaking is a big, lazy, overweight Normal type with brutal attacking capabilities. Except he exchanges being cute for extra laziness.

or an Eevee of any kind
Eevee - Delcatty looks similiar, and has sub-par stats.
Flareon - Blaziken has good Attack stats, poor Defense stats.
Jolteon - Manectric. 'nuff said.
Vaproen - Milotic? Work with me. R/S is flooded (roffle) with Water types.
Umbreon - Dusclops. Not a Dark type, but it's pretty close.
Espeon - Gardevoir. Minus a few attacks.

They aren't all that close to the originals, but they're close enough.

R/S is meant to give us a fresh start, and to get ourselves familiar with new Pokemon, so we could get new favourites.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 05-03-2003, 02:53 PM:

Wouldn't Snorlax's Ru/Sa equivalent be a Wailord? The difference of course is that Wailord is a Water type. But they share similar characteristics like being immense and rich with HP.

Still, Wailord ain't no Snorlax. They're more loveable - like a big sumo-wrestlin' cat.

Posted by Donald (Member # 1551) on 05-03-2003, 09:34 PM:

Sumo wrestling animal?

Hariyama, come on down!!

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 05-03-2003, 10:18 PM:

Hmm... Forgot about Hariyama.

But for me, Snorlax is still a ton of fun. I guess I'll keep waiting for that magical transfer dealie so I can bring over my Snorlax's offspring. I've pretty much stopped playing Ruby until it happens.

Posted by Ognob (Member # 1596) on 05-04-2003, 07:24 PM:

haha loser
also, wailrod is SHIT

Posted by The Muffin King (Member # 2240) on 05-04-2003, 07:46 PM:

See for me, the problem is that none of the new Pokemon seem to catch my attention as much as the old ones did. Almost all of the new Pokemon are intentionally cute, Digi-mon like, or goofy in appereance. While the old Pokemon are a lot cooler. I don't want a fucking Manectric, I want a Jolteon. And I don't want a Goddamn Roselia, I want a Vileplume.

Posted by Donald (Member # 1551) on 05-04-2003, 09:00 PM:

Well, seeing as Vileplume is IN the 200, I don't think you can bitch about it being missing.

Now, if you're a Victreebel fanboy (lol), then I'd listen to you.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 05-06-2003, 11:04 PM:

I think Muffin King explained what I guess I've been thinking all along that I couldn't really put to words. I do want a Jolteon instead of that weird-ass looking Manectric. Sure, there's some Pokémon that were missing like cactii, sharks, and various other organisms. But many of the new ones are just really stupid, carbon copies of old ones. Why did we need a Clamperl when we already had Shellder/Cloyster? Or why a Spheal when we already had Seel? When I first saw pics of Combusken, I thought somehow, they snuck Digimon into the game.

Anyway, that's why I've kinda quit on Ruby for now and gone back to playing Crystal. It's just not as fun anymore, fresh start or not. I got into Pokémon because I liked the old R/B/Y ones. There were some great additions in G/S/C, but many of these Ru/Sa ones really blow. Yeah, I've taken a shine to Gardevoir and Sharpedo, but that's about it for the Ru/Sa Pokémon. GameFreak should've at least kept all the old 251 running wild in Ru/Sa along with the new ones instead of just a fraction of them. I wouldn't even have minded if we can't trade from old games if this were so, although, it'd kinda suck if we couldn't have the old starters, fossils, and the legendaries to fool around with. Aside from Snorlax, I do also miss flying around on a Charizard and surfing on a Lapras.

Oh, and yeah, I like Victrebell too. I take them over Vileplume or Bellossom any day. Deadly pitcher plant owns!

[ 05-06-2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Ferquin ]

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 05-07-2003, 01:06 PM:

It seems more like you don't like the new Pokemon due to some sort of bias that they'd be automatically inferior to the old ones.

I think that's just nostalgia talking, rather than any actual reasoning. If you haven't noticed, a lot of the original Pokemon concepts are potentially ass but we developed a liking to them. An ice woman thing with big lips? A ball with a face on it? A BOXER?

Part of the reason a lot of the Pokemon are similar, I think, is because most of the Pokemon from the main land Kanto and Johto regions don't live there, but do you expect such a place NOT to develop some form of serpent, or clam, or butterfly?

Again, it seems like you're going into Ruby already thinking that the new Pokemon are not as good as the old ones. Either that, or you've been jaded by being in the online Pokecommunity and like so many others have lost the ability to enjoy the game like you did 5 years ago.

Posted by Ferquin (Member # 3269) on 05-07-2003, 10:34 PM:

I think it's a little of both to be honest, but I still retain the childlike wonder of being a master of various monsters and wandering around with my team. It's just, as I've said over and over, that I miss my goddamned Snorlax. I played Ruby all the way through and I admit that yeah, it's a little stale, but I really do love the new features of the game like the Contests, abilities, and natures. But for some reason, I just can't warm up to a lot of the new Pokémon, not necessarily because (to me) they're not as good as the old ones, but because they seem sorta half-assed and recycled in conception. Yeah, they fill in the gaps in places like type mixing and animal species, but yeah, I suppose I really am biased and still cling to the old Pokémon. It's just that I like the older ones more because I've "known" them for longer, like old friends. I like my new "friends" but it'll take a while before I can really accept them and get used to them. Like I said, I have really warmed up to having Gardevoir and Sharpedo and there's a few others that I like. But again, my main resentment is there's no goddamned Snorlax in this game!

I still like Ru/Sa, but not nearly as much as I loved the original games. You really can't top the originals because they came first, but you can sure come close. To me, G/S/C did better in the new Pokémon side of things (Piloswine is so badass! And so is Tyranitar!). Ru/Sa did better in the gameplay side of things (I really love the abilities, natures, and Contests). That's the long and short of it for me.

[ 05-07-2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Ferquin ]

Karpe Diem