This is topic Who bought the Magikarp? in forum Azure Pokemon Center at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000898

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 12-13-2000, 08:45 PM:

I did...and I was excited about it.

Anyway, I was just doing some research (man, are all the guides screwed up about the Venobugs) and I ran into a certain shady character again.

It just reminded me of how much fun the discovery was in RBY. Here's to hoping my experiences with G/S will be similar...

------------------
"My nightmares just can't scare me now, baby, without you." -Everclear

Posted by Noddy (Member # 877) on 12-13-2000, 09:08 PM:

I was sooo happy when I bought that Karp! I thought it was a super rare pokemon, I was a buzz... *sigh* the memories... But I have to say there are the thrills and chills of RBY in GS... When my Lapras first hatched and my Eevee evolved into an Umbreon, it was just like the ol' times... ^_^*

------------------
"Greetings. I would be charmed to play a song for you on my cymbals... in exchange for your IMMORTAL SOUL."

" ...This explains why hookers ask for money instead of M&Ms or caterpillars."

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 12-13-2000, 10:39 PM:

I BRAGGED about getting that karp......
"Whoa, it's attack has 40 PP!!!! Watch, this Magikarp it probably one of the greatest Water types ever! I can train it up, and it'll beat the @#$% outta your weakling Charmeleon! I'll bet it's Splash it beat your whole team in a few hits! Huh? Splash is a Normal attack? Bah, no deal! It'll stil K.O. this Zubat! It didn't do anything? I'll try it again! What? SPLASH DOES NOTHING?! EEERRGH!! Hey, what about that Water Gun TM I just found? WHAT? It can't learn Water Gun either?! AAARRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!". Actual quote......

I later discovered it evolved into Gyarados, the GREATEST Water type ever! Then I learned Gyarados was just an oversized blue lighting rod.........

------------------
"The Devil has no inner child. It's sad really" - Lewis, The Drew Carey Show

"We are not crazy! Stop staring, or we will kill you all!" Jack Malloy, Unhappily Ever After

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 12-13-2000, 11:51 PM:

I didn't buy it, because 500 Pokeyen would've taken a significant chunk out of my wallet at the time.

So it was greed and penny pinching which kept me from blowing 500 pokeyen on a Pokemon I could fish for.

Hurrah for Frugality.

------------------
"I think it's time I'll blow this scene, get everyone and their stuff together. Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam."
-From "Tank!"...the theme song to "Cowboy Bebop"

AIM: Nobie20

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 12-14-2000, 03:50 AM:

I had already seen the show where James was snookered into buying one, but I figured he was just a horrible trainer and that my MegaKarp would be great. Well he is great...for a Karp...

------------------
"My nightmares just can't scare me now, baby, without you." -Everclear

Posted by KeroKato (Member # 230) on 12-14-2000, 04:36 PM:

I didn't have Pokemon 'til well after the anime came out (since I live in stupid friggin' Ohio), but around Christmas time, it finally came into local stores. I had already seen the episode where James bought the 'Karp, and it evolved into the pimpin' Gyarados.
As soon as the chance came up in the game, I thought "Whoa! This must be the only Magikarp in the entire game! I have got to get this! It's the only way I could ever get a Gyarados."
Five minute later.
"What? Old Rod? You suck."

------------------
Visit Reality's End, the Home Page of Phantasy and the R.E. League

"Well, a letter on the sign was burnt out." - Mayor
"So what exactly did your men expect to find in a '100% Nud Bar?'" - Reporter
"Pure nud." - Mayor

Posted by stinky cheese man (Member # 455) on 12-16-2000, 06:41 AM:

I bought the magikarp, I thought it would be powerful boy was I wrong. When it reached level 20 I got my moneys worth.

------------------
Huked on fonix werkd fer meh.

"This board is more addictive than chocolate chip crack." -Starcaliber

Posted by 1970Beetle (Member # 933) on 12-16-2000, 11:11 AM:

I remember reading in the strategy guide not to buy Magikarp, cause you could fish for it soon enough. Stupid guide spoiled the whole damn game almost. I just wanted it for the Pokedex in the back...

------------------
Please visit my site and register as a United States Pokemon Trainer. http://www.tbns.net/poketrainer/home.html
Thanks to everyone who has registered. If you can't find yourself, hit REFRESH.

Posted by Netbrian (Member # 482) on 12-22-2000, 12:00 PM:

I bought it because it um, sounded cool. Then I tried using Splash, and realized it did absolutly nothing, so I hurled the Karp away for awhile... Then, after witnessing evolution a bit, I started leving the dumb thing up. When he evolved, I was REALLY glad... Gyarados was very powerful in-game, in fact...

I still have him. He's at level 100, named " ", and a veteran of several link and Stadium battles. =P

------------------

Posted by Mew's Dad (Member # 295) on 12-22-2000, 01:28 PM:

Yeah, I bought it and the Gyarados was my third L100 Pokemon and I liked it at the time!

------------------
Mew:A mythical Pokemon of South America which had been thought extinct. When viewed through a microscope this Pokemon's short fine delicate hair is seen. So rare it is still said to be a mirage by many experts. A growing number of people have seen it recently. It's DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokemon, so it can use all kinds of techniques. Apparently, it only appears to those people who are pure of heart and have strong desire to see it. Mew has only been seen in captivity a few times. As a result, Mew is extremely sought after by collectors.

Posted by Mr.E (Member # 696) on 12-22-2000, 08:43 PM:

I always buy the Magikarp whenever I start over.

*Magikarp is Mr.E's favorite Pokémon*

------------------
I AM A GOLDEN GOD!

Posted by Dragonite21 (Member # 475) on 12-30-2000, 04:36 PM:

I bought the Karp once.

------------------
-Dragonite21

Do be do la la goldfish

Posted by abz1986 (Member # 150) on 01-02-2001, 10:43 PM:

heh, I read a strategy guide that told me not to buy karpie, and that karpie sucked a**.... so obviously I saved my 500 bucks

------------------
"lifes a b****" - Teejay

Posted by MegaScythe (Member # 1097) on 01-03-2001, 02:33 AM:

Somehow, that crafty Karp seller ALWAYS gets me to buy it.. hes quite the con that one...

------------------
*Femme Fatal Dragonite*:
Wrap*Attract*HeadButt*ThunderWave-Try it!You know you wanna! ;)
------------------
Proud Member o' the Houndoom Haters Club

Posted by waruimewtwo (Member # 1328) on 01-05-2001, 05:21 PM:

I bought it the first time. I was excited about having Gyarados, one of the first pokemon I ever saw in the Japanese green version.

------------------

Posted by Majik (Member # 1366) on 01-15-2001, 05:33 PM:

Heh, who needs Gyarados. Just give me my Karp and I'd woop anyone.

------------------
Magikap's Secret Society
http://www.thekarp.com/

Posted by CrystalMeth (Member # 1485) on 02-01-2001, 09:05 PM:

I bought the damn karp when I was playing the ROM, and didn't know what I was doing. Then, a long time later when I decided I HAD to have the game bought it, I also got the stradagey guide and followed it religiously. I never condidered NOT geting the stratage guide for S/G till I saw posts on this board. But, I know I'll end up buyign it anyway when I get S/G. Curiosity killed the cat.
Meow.

------------------
~ Crystal the Anime cat girl ~
"Pardon me while I burst into flames."
--Incubus, "Pardon Me"

[This message has been edited by CrystalMeth (edited 02-02-2001).]

Posted by kelv (Member # 843) on 02-06-2001, 10:21 PM:

Well, I bought it, and never regretted it. It evolved as I was going into Cerulean City. Gyarados was a one-man team against Staryu. Then came Starmie. Gyarados went down. In came the big rat, Pikachu. Out goes the big rat Pikachu. In went Wartortle. Out went Wartortle. Freaked out. Turned game off. Turned game back on. Gyarados kicked Staryu again. Starmie kicked Gyarados again. Then Pikachu. Then Wartortle. Game off. Game on. Repeat about 5 times. Gyarados kicked Staryu. Starmie kicked Gyarados. Pikachu kicked Starmie. Oh well...

------------------
Coming Soon... The Pokémon Hotline Server...

hotline://24.65.195.141

Sneak preview available now! Grand Opening next week. (Open Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Weekends from 4:30 PM MST to 10:00 PM MST)

Posted by NickWhiz1 (Member # 30) on 02-07-2001, 07:52 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by kelv:
Well, I bought it, and never regretted it. It evolved as I was going into Cerulean City. Gyarados was a one-man team against Staryu. Then came Starmie. Gyarados went down. In came the big rat, Pikachu. Out goes the big rat Pikachu. In went Wartortle. Out went Wartortle. Freaked out. Turned game off. Turned game back on. Gyarados kicked Staryu again. Starmie kicked Gyarados again. Then Pikachu. Then Wartortle. Game off. Game on. Repeat about 5 times. Gyarados kicked Staryu. Starmie kicked Gyarados. Pikachu kicked Starmie. Oh well...

*kicks Starmie*

Fortunately it didn't know Thunderbolt, or you would've been in WORSE trouble.

*teleportz away*

------------------
-NickWhiz1: The Eternal NoA Hater
<StarCaliber> Weird how ET and NickWhiz are never on at the same time...
<StarCaliber> Yet both online a ton.
<StarCaliber> Very weird.
-StarCaliber, #PBSpkmn, 12/23/00
NickWhiz1's Pokemon Domain, the worst Pokemon site in existence XD

Posted by kelv (Member # 843) on 02-07-2001, 09:20 PM:

Oh yeah... definitely.

Posted by Wiccan (Member # 606) on 02-08-2001, 08:21 PM:

I bought it, I though it was gonna kick ass, until a geodude kicked my ass.

------------------
Brightest Blessings -
Wiccan
--------
Lugias' Cave
--------
ICQ#: 59964902
Nickname: Obsidian Moon

Posted by Mahogany (Member # 1468) on 02-09-2001, 06:14 PM:

I was too lazy to even talk to that guy. I got the rod, caught the fish, THEN I talked to him. whoops, err yay I saved some money!

------------------

Karpe Diem