This is topic Why Skarmory? in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=005196

Posted by Draco the spirit dragon (Member # 2900) on 08-19-2002, 03:08 PM:

i see Scarmory a lot as a whiwinder. why not Aerodactly insted? (there proberly a good reason for this but i don't see it)

Posted by KumoriKenshi (Member # 2462) on 08-19-2002, 03:57 PM:

Maybe because Skarmory has 378 defense, and is part steel, therefore resistant against a variety of types. Basicly, Skarmory can Whirwind and LIVE alot better than Aerodactyl can.

Posted by Donald (Member # 1551) on 08-19-2002, 04:14 PM:

Plus, Aero's speed is too important to waste by Whirlwinding.

Skarm's not that fast to begin with, and it's got Curse most of the time ANYWAY, so...

Posted by o_O (Member # 1916) on 08-19-2002, 05:20 PM:

Plus, Aero's speed is too important to waste by Whirlwinding.

Not if you teach it Curse.

Posted by Chrisodeo (Member # 2855) on 08-19-2002, 05:54 PM:

Let me rephrase that: Aero's speed is too good to waste on Speed-dropping moves. He's what, 2nd in the entire game?! Curse does raise his attack and defense, but is it really worth it?

Posted by o_O (Member # 1916) on 08-19-2002, 06:32 PM:

I was only pointing out that if you wanted to use Whirlwind on it, it would be a good idea to use Curse on it as well. I personally would never put Curse on it.

Posted by Trebor (Member # 2988) on 08-19-2002, 06:40 PM:

Your better off having anceint power and hoping for boosts that way, but i hate curse on fastish pokes, its a waste.

Aeros speed is joint second with:

Jolteon, Crobat and Mewtwo on 130 base. [Big Grin]

Posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk (Member # 14) on 08-20-2002, 08:50 AM:

Despite the annoying Fire weakness, Skarm's more useful overall, and takes hits from the Cursers he tries to get rid of with a lot less pain. People do use Aero, it's just that Skarm works better as a tank if you're forced to use it in an offensive role. Aero's more for fast-attack, for switching in and out due to how fragile it is, but simply isn't on the same level as a Cursed up Skarm (even if said Aero had Curse) IMHO.

That being said, I might try Aero on my next team if the FMBT rules don't become standard (as I'll need a Heal Beller with recovery to back it up).

Posted by Draco the spirit dragon (Member # 2900) on 08-20-2002, 05:10 PM:

thanks for teaching me the way of Skarmory!

Posted by Sean A. (Member # 2277) on 08-20-2002, 06:20 PM:

Aerodactyl is actually an AMAZING addition to a TSS team. His speed and attack help him pick off a lot of the weakened pokemon, but as Cat Gonk said, he needs serious back-up.

Posted by jshadias (Member # 2710) on 08-21-2002, 08:28 PM:

Actually, Aerodactyl can work OK as an alternative to Donphan. I was having problems resting with Donphan, and if he did get the Rest in he'd have to rest at half HP and it'd get him about one more hit in. Aerodactyl, however, can Rest whenever he feels like it. I might just give him Wing Attack over Earthquake though, as he just plain can't take electrics. Not that Donphan can take many HP Ice hits... So only use Aerodactyl over Donphan if you've got something else to take electrics, I have Ampharos w/ Fire Punch and Exeggutor for non-Zappys. And I can always take it with something else... In short, only use him for said purposes under special circumstances. Anyways...
Aerodactyl @ Mint Berry
Ancient Power
Earthquake
Rest
Whirlwind

Boy, I'm original...

Posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk (Member # 14) on 08-22-2002, 09:48 AM:

I thought the reason people took Donphan was to completely fuck JoltWak and Spikes.

Karpe Diem