This is topic Quest for the perfect starter poke. in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004767

Posted by Jolteon X (Member # 284) on 12-29-2001, 03:27 PM:

Ok, I am revvamping my team, and I decided to start from the top. I am looking for the perfect pokemon to lead my team. This pokemon should be able to not only effectively counter all the current popular starters, but be able to hold his own against the rest of the opponents team.

My thoughts: The most popular starters seem to be [in no particular order]: Foretress, Scizor, Jumpluff, Jolteon, Umbreon. So, the main weaknesses seems to be fire, fighting, ground, with the emphasis on fire. So, maybe a Tauros with Substitute, Fire Blast, Earthquake, and Double Edge @Scope Lens? The goal is to Substitute, to prevent status effects, then Fire Blast/Earthquake/Double Edge depending on who they use. Can Tauros learn Submission?

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Jolteon X ]

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-29-2001, 03:47 PM:

Cloyster is also a very popular starter because it can Spike and has massive Defense. But it's low Spc Def makes an Electric or Grass move easy to take it out with, so an Electric type move might be worth considering even with Tauros' very low Spc Atk. Tauros can't learn Submission but it can have HP-Fighting, which is actually better since although it has 10 less power it has 20% higher accuracy and you don't hit with recoil.

Posted by Cesar (Member # 529) on 12-29-2001, 07:18 PM:

Typhlosion learns submission, Earthquake, flamethrower and thunderpunch. He will 2HKO Jolteon, and 4HKO umbreon (with a recoil )

I wouldn't suggest Hidden Power Fighting, it gives you shit HP.

Posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk (Member # 14) on 01-04-2002, 03:55 AM:

The problem with that Taurous is that he'd be pretty useless for anything else. I'd consider Rest (if you have Heal Bell support) over Earthquake. You only get an extra 10% damage against Pokemon weak to Quake as opposed to DE, and the recoil is pretty much negligible.

Also, I'd drop the Scope Lens for a Miracleberry. Jolteon will attack first and paralyse you, which seriously dents Tauros' effectiveness (also, it helps with Rest). It depends how much you want to rely on Rest and Heal Bell, really.

Posted by ThumbsOfSteel (Member # 1922) on 01-04-2002, 08:38 AM:

I've found a Snorlax to be a pretty good starter with this set:

@miracleberry
double edge/body slam
earthquake
fire blast
selfdestruct

Female if attracters are a problem for you. Double edge if you want power, or body slam for a little support. Take out the first one, and then, if you're running low on HP, blow up on the next one.

Posted by DarkLickitung (Member # 1672) on 01-04-2002, 05:42 PM:

I use Tauros with Return, Fire Blast, Substitute, Mimic @ Miracleberry/Leftovers.

I'm stupid tho...*waits for Nick or some TPMer to say I copied them ¬¬*

Posted by Jolteon X (Member # 284) on 01-04-2002, 09:44 PM:

Ok, I have been testing it, and the Tauros I have found MOST effective, though considered cheap is:

Tauros M @Scope Lens
-Horn Drill [w/no OHKO Ban] Fire Blast [w/ OHKO ban
-Return
-Earthquake
-Substitute

I didnt consider the rest/miracleberry thing, but I have never found a need for it. Usually either a Poke is OHKOed by Tauros, I switch, or I just attack. I have only ever fought ONE Jolteon that Twaved me. Usually they are Agilitypassing Jolts, which I earthquake. Sub seems to help more than rest, even if only to buy me an extra attack.

Posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk (Member # 14) on 01-04-2002, 11:19 PM:

*sigh* Double-Edge removes the need for Earthquake, unless you're really worried about Misdreavus.

Posted by Jumpman16 (Member # 1089) on 01-05-2002, 12:32 AM:

What about T-Tar?

Posted by DragoniteJ (Member # 815) on 01-05-2002, 11:31 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DarkLickitung:
I use Tauros with Return, Fire Blast, Substitute, Mimic @ Miracleberry/Leftovers.

I'm stupid tho...*waits for Nick or some TPMer to say I copied them ¬¬*

Actually, i thought of this and posted it WAY before nick or anyone else, except with earthquake and double-edge. i was also thinking of a sub/mimic crobat which i haven't gotten around to testing yet.

Posted by Ancient Egyptian Cat-Gonk (Member # 14) on 01-06-2002, 02:29 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpman16:
What about T-Tar?

Well, what about him?

It's not like any of the other Pokes on your team won't be able to deal with him, the thing's a Rock type for crying out loud..

Karpe Diem