This is topic Discussion: Curse in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004717

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-14-2001, 08:05 PM:

Curse is one of the most common moves. One in three teams has at least one Curse in it. It's known for being able to boost two stats at once without the hindrance of using up two spots in a moveset. But it is really what it seems? Well, that can never really be decided, and which is why I'm asking for a discussion of opinions. It's mostly for those who have good Special Defense. Or for those who can wallop most things by raising already good Attack and Defense. Or to raise the low Attack and Defense. I've compiled three lists: Who would do good with Curse, who would kind of do good with it and who it's just horrible with. I'll let the disscussion go from there. These are just my opinions, if you have your own, fine, but don't go attacking mine. Ghost types don't count.

Pokés That Benefit Best From Having Curse:
Clefable, Snorlax, Noctowl, Furret, Aipom, Granbull, Blissey, Arcanine, Flareon, Blastoise, Gyarados, Azumarill, Quagsire, Slowking, Corsola, Suicune, Meganium, Sunflora, Hitmonchan, Heracross, Beedrill, Arbok, Nidoking, Muk, Weezing, Sandslash, Steelix, Donphan, Hypno, Lugia, Ledian, Shuckle, Sudowoodo, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Skarmory, Umbreon

Pokés That Benefit Fairly From Having Curse:
Raticate, Ursaring, Charizard, Lickitung, Girafarig, Dunsparce, Wigglytuff, Kangaskhan, Togetic, Miltank, Smeargle, Moltres, Ho-Oh, Golduck, Poliwrath, Tentacruel, Lapras, Vaporeon, Feraliagtr, Lanturn, Politoed, Qwilfish, Octillery, Mantine, Electabuzz, Zapdos, Ampharos, Venusaur, Vileplume, Parasect, Victreebel, Exeggutor, Bellosom, Celebi, Jynx, Articuno, Piloswine, Delibird, Machamp, Hitmontop, Nidoqueen, Venomoth, Ariados, Rhydon, Golem, Gligar, Mr. Mime, Butterfree, Pinsir, Forretress, Aerodactyl, Murkrow

Pokés That Benefit Worst From Having Curse:
Persian, Dodrio, Farfetch'd, Tauros, Typhlosion, Ninetales, Rapidash, Magmar, Magcargo, Entei, Slowbro, Dewgong, Cloyster, Kingler, Seaking, Starmie, Omastar, Kabutops, Kingdra, Raichu, Magneton, Electrode, Jolteon, Raikou, Tangela, Jumpluff, Primeape, Hitmonlee, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Mewtwo, Mew, Xatu, Espeon, Yanma, Scizor, Sneasel

Posted by 10,000Lb.Snorlax (Member # 13) on 12-14-2001, 08:49 PM:

I think Curse should have not been able to be learned by Snorlax.

Posted by hmmmm (Member # 2358) on 12-15-2001, 01:07 AM:

meh i didnt know lax could learn curse.....
Curse is ok for slower pokemon with an already ok defense...i like bell drum lax better though

Posted by DarkLickitung (Member # 1672) on 12-15-2001, 02:46 AM:

lol @ above post

Posted by Sean A. (Member # 2277) on 12-15-2001, 10:40 AM:

I love Curse myself. I actually use it on Sandslash instead of the standard Swordsdance. It's great for dealing with other cursers as you curse up a little bit with them, then Earthquake to draw an attack in, and Counter it.

Earthquake
Counter
Rest
Curse

Has a slight problem with Flyers though

Posted by Mister Cant (Member # 1414) on 12-17-2001, 08:45 AM:

wtf? what is this guy smoking? i want some XO

curse, good for granbull?
ROTFLMAO XD

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-17-2001, 01:20 PM:

-Rates a 1, not that he needs it since he's already a rated 1-

FYI, when I played Crystal, I had a Granbull on my team, and I taught it Curse. With that it easily took in Physical moves and crushed most things that came out and fought it. With Curse Granbull got me through Kanto a lot easier.

Posted by NidoKing (Member # 1638) on 12-17-2001, 11:17 PM:

quote:

-Rates a 1, not that he needs it since he's already a rated 1-

*sigh* This, from a person who removed his rating from public display because it was a 1.

Posted by oporaca (Member # 922) on 12-24-2001, 01:56 PM:

Gyarados benefits greatly and Mew benefits worst? Mew can learn a variety of physical attacks: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Shadow Ball, Body Slam/Return/D-Edge, Submission, etc. Gyarados can only learn Normal physical attacks, Hidden Power, and Rock Smash. Mew can withstand attacks while Cursing, then recover with Softboiled. If Gyarados Curses, it'll die before it gets a chance to attack. So, who's better?

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-24-2001, 06:58 PM:

Actually, oporaca, Mew doesn't even need it because there's a move called "Swords Dance". Perhaps you've heard of it. You can pump up attack faster, and you'd be wasting a very nice Speed in doing so with Cursing. Therefore you'd be wasting a lot by Cursing up rathering than Swords Dancing.

Gyarados, on the other hand, learns a very nice Curse set and also has nice Special Defense, to withstand some attacks, also defends against Rock types weakness. The set is Swagger, Curse, Body Slam, HP-Flying @Leftovers. Now tell me that set sucks. I DARE YOU TO TELL ME! You can Body Slam, charged by Curse, so you can still go first, Swagger because you can withstand pumped Attack in most cases cause you Cursed up and HP-Flying with STAB has 105 base power, not to mention a very nice Attack power made better by Curse.

But this is just my own opinion, as is the chart, and I think I clearly stated that. These aren't facts, and I never said so either, you're entitled to your own opinion but this is just what I think. Oh and NidoKing, you should shut your mouth. I only took it down because I didn't think people would be such jackasses for no reason, especially when I don't insult them like they do to me.

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 12-24-2001, 08:22 PM:

My question to you is:

Who the hell would be attacking Gyarados with Rock attacks?

A Cursing Gyarados is a sitting duck to just about anything that's packing TBolt.

And I know you'll say "Well, Gyarados shouldn't go up against an Electric anyway."

So what's the point of Cursing in the first place?

Posted by EspeonNidoking (Member # 2028) on 12-25-2001, 12:06 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by hmmmm:
meh i didnt know lax could learn curse.....
Curse is ok for slower pokemon with an already ok defense...i like bell drum lax better though

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-25-2001, 03:25 PM:

A lot of people would, Gyarados is weak to Rock. And you're right about that, but you can bring this Gyarados later in the game, not a lot of teams have 2 Electric types, or two of any of the main types (Water, Grass, Electric, Fire), except for this n00b's team on GB Forums. It was 4 Fire types and 2 Water types. The set still serves a purpose, though.

Posted by Turbo X (Member # 1808) on 12-26-2001, 12:17 AM:

It doesn't really matter how many electric pokes are on a team. There are many MANY different pokes that have T-Bolt (if they're not even standards). Examples: Persian, Tauros, Nidoking/queen??, Starmie, Lapras, Gengar, and many others (and that's not even icluding any G/S pokes!!). Chances are that at least 2 pokes on a teams have T-Bolt, if not more.

I'm not flaming you or anything (like almost everyone else does), but making a tank out of anything that has a 4x weakness is not a good idea, especially when you aren't tanking up the def/spc def that the 4x is on (i.e. Tanking Gyarados by pumping his att & def when his 4x weakness is special-based). When you try to think of pokes that Curse is good on, don't look strictly at their att/def. Look for overall weaknesses as well.

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-26-2001, 12:37 AM:

Point taken.

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 12-26-2001, 12:45 AM:

Actually, Articuno makes a surprisingly good tank, despite its 4x weakness.

Posted by Turbo X (Member # 1808) on 12-26-2001, 03:45 AM:

Hmmm..yea. Forgot about Cuno. But there isn't too many Rock moves out there. There are a few more in G/S due to Ancient Power, but not too many more. But Cuno has the stats to back up that 4x weakness. Not to mention the prescense of Heal Bellers can allow it to Rest (but also loses stat boosts).

Posted by NidoKing (Member # 1638) on 12-27-2001, 03:58 AM:

quote:

Oh and NidoKing, you should shut your mouth. I only took it down because I didn't think people would be such jackasses for no reason, especially when I don't insult them like they do to me.

Ok, ok, i'll shut my mouth, but you're still a hypocrit =P And people weren't rating you 1 for no reason, they didn't like your attitude.

But anyway, on the topic, a tank with a 4x weakness? How about TWO 4x weaknesses? Magcargo, anyone? lol. Poor guy. He would have so much potential, if not for taking 4x damage from earthquakes.

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-27-2001, 03:59 PM:

I konw, Magcargo is the only thing that can learn a Double-Booster (Greatly raises a stat) for both Defenses. Most only learn one, but Magcargo learns Amnesia AND Acid Armor, not to mention having the highest Defense of any Fire type. If it wasn't paired with Rock it would be a lot better. Just goes to prove how in the wrong case adding the Rock type can just about ruin a Poké. If you had a BP Chain you could do something like this...

Girafarig: Agilitize and Amnesia to the fullest and pass to Mime.
Mr. Mime: Barrier up and Sub, then BP to Magcargo.

Then again that chain would be better with anything. A Wiggly would do awesome with that, since it's crap Defenses will go up to the max and so would it's Speed. Oh well.

Posted by cmsnrub25 (Member # 1551) on 12-27-2001, 04:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Pokemaniac Will:
Girafarig: Agilitize and Amnesia to the fullest and pass to Mime.
Mr. Mime: Barrier up and Sub, then BP to Magcargo.

Wouldn't passing to Vaporeon make more sense? Not only does it learn a double-booster for Defense (Acid Armor), but it can pass a Sub with over 230 HP. That instead of Mr. Mime's crappy 130 Substitute HP.

Posted by Turbo X (Member # 1808) on 12-28-2001, 02:55 AM:

Yes..must...love....Vaporeon....love the huge.....HP.

Not only a good BP target and passer, but can also attack as well. May not be the best Water type in the game (Starmie and Lapras) but it makes a great filler on a team without a Water.

P.S. Has Will's posts on this topic made some sense (at least the latter posts)..or am I losing my mind again at 3 in the morning??

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-28-2001, 12:36 PM:

::Whacks Turbo X like Uncle:: You're not losing your mind, my post makes sense. This is a topic needing to be debated. One More Thing--why the heck are you posting at 3 am?

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-28-2001, 12:38 PM:

The Ghost Type Curse Chart:

Ghosts That Benefit Best From Having Curse:
Misdreavus.

Ghosts That Benefit Fairly From Having Curse:
None.

Ghosts That Benefit Worst From Having Curse:
Gastly, Haunter, Gengar

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Pokemaniac Will ]

Posted by Tghost (Member # 1418) on 12-28-2001, 02:41 PM:

why the heck are you posting at 3 am?

Pokemaniac Will, there are these things called time zones....

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-28-2001, 05:07 PM:

What the heck do time zones have to do with it? He's posting at 3 am in HIS time zone, not 3 am in another.

Posted by Tghost (Member # 1418) on 12-28-2001, 05:25 PM:

No, actually, the times aren't in the user's timezone, they are in the boards timezone.
[Edit] For example, this post says it's at about half past 5 in the afternoon on the 28th. For me, it's about half past 11 in the morning of Staurday the 29th.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Tghost ]

Posted by Theman14 (Member # 2284) on 12-28-2001, 05:33 PM:

OMG WTF Snorlax can learn Curse???!!!

Posted by Mewone (Member # 1694) on 12-28-2001, 05:55 PM:

Why give Gyarados Curse, when you could give it to good ol' Mantine?

Posted by cmsnrub25 (Member # 1551) on 12-28-2001, 10:21 PM:

OK Will, rate my Misdreavus.

~Mean Look
~Curse
~Pain Split
~Protect
@Leftovers

Posted by Pokemaniac Will (Member # 2395) on 12-28-2001, 10:22 PM:

Point taken. I forgot Misdreavus had Pain Split. ::Edits::

Posted by Turbo X (Member # 1808) on 12-29-2001, 12:02 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Pokemaniac Will:
::Whacks Turbo X like Uncle:: You're not losing your mind, my post makes sense. This is a topic needing to be debated. One More Thing--why the heck are you posting at 3 am?

:Whacks Will upside the head: Did it occur to you that I normally stay up that late? Heck, I'm a 19-year-old suffering college student who's used to staying up that late.

Anyway, not every poke needs Curse, not to mention it's not a smart idea to put Curse on too much because >75% of people have Curse counters on their team.

Karpe Diem