This is topic Death by Type in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004451

Posted by Subtallica (Member # 1101) on 09-10-2001, 09:51 PM:

In the game, there are far many less playable pokemon, then pokemon that cant survive or serve a purpose in battle...i think maybe if a type change could vamp come pokemon, my example Gyarados

HP - 393
AT - 348
DF - 256
SP - 260
SA - 218
SD - 298

Good HP close to 400, Huge attack, its defense is average...Speed is average as well, but not that bad, theres alot slower then him, Its Special Attack is the weak link but that can be worked around by not using a Special Attack (Bar Surf for STAB)and a Special D at 300, he can take a shot or two....

I think that if Gyarados, would of gotten the jump up to the Water/Dragon type, he would of been quite useful, and would of made alot more teams then kingdra did...

Double Edge, Body Slam, Ice Beam, T-bolt ( Bad SA tho) Reflect (cover defense),Curse( also helps with Defense, adn gives a nice Attack Boost)Return/Frustration, all gives for a good range of moves, so with out that Glaring 4x Weakness to Electric, it could be very good..what other types do you think got screwed by type???

Posted by raticata (Member # 1994) on 09-15-2001, 01:09 PM:

GYARADOS may have a 4* but what is all the fuss about??

Do we refuse to use tyran/drago/chari/scizor?? No.

A 4* doesn't mean the end of the world. This poke has only one other weakness, a huge attack, and so it is only fair that these poke behemoths get the 4* to give a chance vs them.

Plus, I find fireblast is always a treat! Flying HP gets stab and runs off great attack, while reflect rules as it removes the rock weakness. Return is just powerful, though this poke can flail aswell.

Posted by Zerot (Member # 1295) on 09-15-2001, 01:54 PM:

Gyarados' 4x weakness is a very common type.

Posted by ThumbsOfSteel (Member # 1922) on 09-15-2001, 02:09 PM:

Gyrados' 4x weakness is a very common type.

So are T-tar's and Scizor's and BOTH Magcargo's. And ice and rock are still used often enough. Gyrados is still good though, just switch out against an electric. There's no way anything can cover all it's weaknesses. That's why you get 6 pokemon on a team.

Posted by StealthNinjaScyther (Member # 1833) on 09-16-2001, 02:09 AM:

My gripe about Gyarados isn't it's type, it's a combination of what moves it can learn and the stats it has. It's greatest asset is it's attack, but it has very few good moves to take advantage of it; basically it has normal attacks like Double Edge, Return, and Flail. Flail can be good, but it can't even use it that well in most cases due to it's pretty low speed. Flying HP is another good one, but it takes some effort to get and isn't all that powerful either. It would be nice if Gyarados learned a couple more physical attacks, a flying type move like Aeroblast would be greatly appreciated. Now what Gyarados lacks in available physical attacks offers a wide assortment of special attacks. Gyarados can learn Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower; basically most of the best special based moves. However the catch is Gyarados' pitiful special attack, which renders all special based moves nearly useless. I'd be plenty happy if they swapped it's attack with it's special attack or gave it some good physical attacks.

Posted by ProTrainer2001 (Member # 1384) on 09-17-2001, 09:27 AM:

For an Gyarados Idea check out my post "Team DeathDos" post your ideas there too...dont reply about that here.......But ofcourse you knew that....Right?.......

Karpe Diem