This is topic Movesets for the Underused in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004420

Posted by JolteonG3 (Member # 2146) on 09-02-2001, 11:16 AM:

Yeah, I know there are a lot of "underused" topics posted already, but I have a couple of Pokemon in mind that, despite having many strategic uses, are rarely used.

Crobat Female
Confuse Ray
Attract
Toxic
Wing Attack/Double Edge/Return/Substitute
Attachment: PRZ Cure Berry/Miracle Berry

Its designed for use on teams that rely on Spikes by causing the opponent to switch Pokemon after a Spiker has been killed (or switched out, but then Crobat is subject to the opponent's next attack). Attract and Confuce Ray in conjunction make it very hard to hit and Toxic provides even more reason for the opponent to switch. Wing Attack, Double Edge, or Return are useful for attacking, but Substitute may be better a better choice as it prevents Crobat from being Paralysed and losing its greatest asset: its speed.

Flareon Male
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Curse
Rest
Attachment: Mint Berry

Curse to power-up Shadowball, which, in turn, will potentially lower the opponent's Special Defence to power-up Flamethrower. Minty Rest is to recover HP while Cursing. Subsequent Rests will be unprotected, but Flareon's High Special Defence and increased Defence should cause Flareon not to lose too much health. (If this is terribly wrong, feel free to correct me, I'm hardly a decent strategist and have little experience battling.)

Vileplume
Sludge Bomb
Swords Dance
Moonlight
Giga Drain/Ground Power/Double Edge(Filler)
Attachment: Leftovers/Poison Barb

Its can learn a 90 Power STAB move, it can learn Swords Dance, it had good defencive stats, it even has a recoverry move, and, above all that, its kin of the great Goddish!--why is Viluplume underused again? The world may never know.

This set simply uses Swords Dance to increase its Attack to 999 and then fires away with Sludge Bomb. Moonlight to heal when necessery. The last move is essentially a filler, Ground Power covers types resistant to Sludge Bomb, Double Egde is pretty powerful, and Giga Drain is useful for healing small amounts of damage and gets STAB, but does not run off of Vileplume's increased attack.

You criticism and comments on these movesets are much appreciated (be harsh!!). Thanks in advance.

Posted by raticata (Member # 1994) on 09-02-2001, 12:17 PM:

Crobat Female
Confuse Ray
Attract
Toxic
Wing Attack/Double Edge/Return/Substitute
Attachment: PRZ Cure Berry/Miracle Berry

Underused? Well, maybe, unfortunately sub as a last move leaves it with no attacks, which means safeguarders will crush it. I would go with that set, but make sure you have a powerful attack in 4th, *amazed at inability to learn sludge bomb*.

Flareon Male
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Curse
Rest
Attachment: Mint Berry

Right this isn't underused either, but cursing isn't really that reliable any more...you see we all have hazers AND roarers and psych uppers etc, so getting the boosts is difficult. Anyway, you don't need it as it already has a great attack. Sunny day is more useful over it, giving flamethrower that extra oomph, and reflect over rest, attach something like leftovers.

For the brave, there is the sweeper :

+scopelens
shadowball
return
flamethrower
focus energy

doesn't last long but does tons of damage with increased chances of critical hits!!!

Vileplume
Sludge Bomb
Swords Dance
Moonlight
Giga Drain/Ground Power/Double Edge(Filler)
Attachment: Leftovers/Poison Barb

You have a very good point here pal, this is a godly set, and vileplume has good defense against the 5 weaknesses. Sludgebomb has 135 base damage which kicks ass, and doesn't need a boost, combined best with ground hp IMO.

The only problem here, is that stat upping is difficult, but only one swords dance is needed to get v powerful, so I reckon this could well work! It's great to see that grasses are coming back into fashion!!

You criticism and comments on these movesets are much appreciated (be harsh!!). Thanks in advance.

You did fine here, just always be wary of switch-forcers/stat-losers, and remember safeguard!

And as for there being so many underused posts, THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH ABOUT THE UNDERUSED!!!!

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: raticata ]

Posted by JolteonG3 (Member # 2146) on 09-02-2001, 04:17 PM:

Thanks raticata for evaluating yet another one of my bizarre ideas. Your feedback was very useful.

As for Crobat, I haven't seen it recently in any team rating posts, so I assumed it was underused. Since there is so much use of Heal Bell, it seems, I thought Safeguard wouldn't really be an issue, but if it may be good to keep Wing Attack, just in case Crobat is faced with a Safeguarder.

I haven't seen much of Flareon either, so thats why I put it on the "underused" list. Cursing really isn't unreliable anymore? Thats a surprise to me...I thought Curselax was still very popular, but then again I made the Flareon moveset awhile ago, so the metagame most likely evolved faster than I could.

As for your moveset, keep in mind that the Critical Hit chance is still only around 12% with focus energy and scope lens (I think so, but I'm not confident of it).

Thanks for your compliments on Vileplume. You're right though about forgetting about hazers, psuedo hazers, etc., though, I have a tendency overlook some of the most essential things. I also forgot about the weakness Vileplume has...they may present a problem despite Vileplume's good defence and special defence. Also, Ground HP would leave it defenceless against Skarmory, something I didn't realize until I typed this reply. (Is Skarmory still popular enough for this to be a threat?) I still think that Poison Barb would still be an asset, especially after 2 or 3 swords dances when the difference between having it and not having is huge. (I ran the numbers, after 3 swords dances, against a Pokemon with 298 defence, no poison resistance, and with Poison Barb, Sludge Bomb did 40-50 extra damage, considerrably more, if you ask me.)

Thanks again raticata! If anyone else would like to give their opinion on these movesets, it would be vastly appeciated.

Posted by OrientalNoodle (Member # 616) on 09-03-2001, 03:42 PM:

If I used Vileplume, it would have:

-Stun Spore
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Moonlight
@Leftovers / Brightpowder (Filler basically)

Do not forget Stun Spore, it's a great move. And the only reason to use 'Plume over Venusaur. So use it.

And, JolteonG3, at least in Finland, Skarmories are popular as sausage in Finland. Which means that at least every other team has Skarmory. They're good for countering Curselaxes, so they 0wn.

Posted by raticata (Member # 1994) on 09-03-2001, 04:55 PM:

Hey JolteonG3 no probs,

Curselax is still popular as he does work well if you only have him left and he can't be switched, but I'm wary of any cursing with so many moves to prevent everything smelling of roses.

As for critical hits - starts at 6.25%, scope lens to 12.5%, focus energy to 25% I THINK, am not 100% sure on it.

Don't worry about skarmory with this poke, just make sure you have a fire/electric/both as other team members. Skarmo is very popular but you shouldn't change this set just to beat it.

As for extra 40/50 damage, with an attack in the 900s, maybe 999, and sludge bomb at 135, won't it be a ohko??

Karpe Diem