This is topic The Toad From Hell... in forum Omanyte Historical Foundation at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004280

Posted by JoHtO TrAiNeR (Member # 1777) on 08-08-2001, 10:02 PM:

Hmmm....I just came up with a fool-proof Perish-trapping Politoed. I wonder if it has been used yet, haven't seen one so I guess I'll take the credit for it...

Here it is...

Politoed:

Protect
Detect
Perish Song
Whirlpool
@leftovers/miracleberry

-Great idea? It looks like it'll work, not unless I forgot something that can counter that...Protect and Detect, that'll work for 2 turns, just enough set up time for Perish Song to work, and you switch on the 3rd turn for the kill!

Posted by Random Loser (Member # 1538) on 08-08-2001, 10:57 PM:

Great... until you realize that whirlpool has 70% accuracy, and also, IIRC, has a 25% chance of wearing off before perish song kills. Simply outclassed by Missy and even Gengar.

Posted by DragoniteJ (Member # 815) on 08-08-2001, 10:57 PM:

This will only work if you're lucky. You'll take a hit on the switch. Take a hit or two to whirlpool, a hit to perish song, and a hit if protect or detect fails. Leftovers probably won't heal enough to use this more than once, if it even works. Furthermore, Protect and Detect both have their chance of working chopped in half if you used either one of them the previous turn, so there's not reason to have both. Rest or something would be better than detect, if you have a Heal Beller.

Posted by JoHtO TrAiNeR (Member # 1777) on 08-08-2001, 11:08 PM:

Come on! I just tested this guy out in battle, it worked just like I said it would. I KO'd a team of 6 with this combo...but if you don't like it, it's your problem.

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 08-08-2001, 11:16 PM:

Mhm. And I've had my Pidgeot sweep 5 Pokemon before.

Your point?

Posted by Random Loser (Member # 1538) on 08-09-2001, 01:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JoHtO TrAiNeR:
Come on! I just tested this guy out in battle, it worked just like I said it would. I KO'd a team of 6 with this combo...but if you don't like it, it's your problem.
You killed six pokemon, taking 2 hits from each, with only leftovers for recover? That doesn't say much for your opponent, and really isn't possible against a good team.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 08-09-2001, 01:16 AM:

It's not a bad idea in theory, and when used right can work. Personally I'd still go with the OHKO evil Poliwrath

Poliwrath@???
-Whirlpool
-Future Sight
-Fissure
-(Your choice)

Try a whirlpool so the opponent cannot retreat. Then use Future Sight, which will guarantee the next attack you use will hit if the opponent doesn't switch (which due to whirlpool they can't). Now, as long as they aren't part flying, use fissure and they are 100% fainted*.

*As long as they aren't holding a focus band and/or used Protect/Detect/Endure the turn you use Fissure.

*EDIT: Added disclaimer and fixed a typo.*

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: MK ]

Posted by PikachuThunder (Member # 22) on 08-09-2001, 05:50 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by MK:
Then use Future Sight, which will guarantee the next attack you use will hit if the opponent doesn't switch (which due to whirlpool they can't).

Wrong move.

Mind Reader is what you're talking about. =P

Posted by Jolt135 (Member # 1974) on 08-09-2001, 08:08 AM:

Using Protect then Detect isn't even a guarantee. The effect triggered by those attacks is the exact same, so when checking for an accuracy drop, it will drop regardless of whether it was Protect or Detect that was used last turn.

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 08-09-2001, 08:32 AM:

Endure too! If you go Protect -> Endure -> Detect, Endure has a 50% chance of working and Detect has a 25% chance. I tried this on a Toxic Golduck in Battle Tower. Golduck was quickly replaced.
~Uiru

Posted by raticata (Member # 1994) on 08-09-2001, 03:39 PM:

well true that whirlpool has bad accuracy but gsbot always ups percentages, or so it seems - after being AP'd three times, and the opposing meganium rising in stats three times, it's pretty solid evidence. we may even see more ohko attacks working their way onto teams.

Posted by JoHtO TrAiNeR (Member # 1777) on 08-09-2001, 04:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by SDShamshel:
Mhm. And I've had my Pidgeot sweep 5 Pokemon before.

Your point?

Pokemon with only Sunny Day and Rain Dance as attacking moves don't count. I fight THEM in the Viridian Training Hall.

And my point was that it actually works. Sure Protect and Detect had a total of 5 misses, but it worked out fine with the other members in my team to cause a little paralyzing on the foe...

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: JoHtO TrAiNeR ]

Karpe Diem