This is topic ROM Disassembly? Bird type compatibility? in forum Sakaki Tower at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000916

Posted by XinuX (Member # 3375) on 01-21-2005, 06:18 PM:

I've been trying to work on a disassembly of the Pokemon Red ROM (I can't stand the newer GBA games) but am hampered by lack of time and lack of knowledge of GB ASM. Has anything like this been attempted?

Additionally, has any research been done into the lost Bird type used by Missingno. (hex code 06)? What are its strengths/weaknesses?

Posted by Pokegod (Member # 977) on 01-21-2005, 10:06 PM:

I can answer the second question. Type Bird is neutral all across the board. I did a test on this a few years back.

Posted by Cheater (Member # 216) on 01-22-2005, 03:05 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by XinuX:
I've been trying to work on a disassembly of the Pokemon Red ROM (I can't stand the newer GBA games) but am hampered by lack of time and lack of knowledge of GB ASM. Has anything like this been attempted?

i think some of the pokemon translations use stuff like dual tile encoding which implies asm hacking was done by someone at one point. which parts of the game mechanics are you trying to edit anyway? most of the hacks for pokemon red out there have made edits entirely to data with no assembly language modifications, but that's probably just out of interest.

Posted by XinuX (Member # 3375) on 01-24-2005, 03:02 PM:

I'm not trying to edit, more to investigate, get true equations for stats, damage etc. and find out anything about anything removed from the game, including Missingno.

Thanks for the Bird-type data.

Posted by Cheater (Member # 216) on 01-24-2005, 03:51 PM:

yeah, necrosaro found true stat equations (among many other things) that way. naturally though, the stuff he's posted focuses on the extracted information and not the boring details of GB asm hacking done to obtain it.

-cheater

Karpe Diem