This is topic Solve by Pattern for GS codes? in forum Sakaki Tower at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000356

Posted by kelv (Member # 843) on 09-07-2000, 08:14 PM:

So if you find the code for something that affects the first pokémon, by pattern alone can you find the codes for the second to sixth pokémon (not that you need it)?

And now some pointless crap:
Back in the olden days, people believed in a thing called phlogiston. When things burned, they would lose phlogiston. The ash that was remaining was said to be the substance minus the phlogiston. Using modern science, we now conclude that combustion is CxHy+O2 ------> CO2+H2O. Since ash is not H20, it's CO2.

------------------

Posted by cfalcon (Member # 19) on 09-13-2000, 01:24 PM:

In almost all cases, yes. Basically, there is a block of memory for the first monster, and all other monsters have another block with the exact same variables in the same relative spaces: so if the block was 41 bytes (I don't remember, it was 40 something) then every 41 bytes you would start on a new monster.

The exceptions are the few pieces of data that, for whatever reason, are stored somewhere else. I think this was because they needed more room for US names or something.

I just focus on the top spot codes, personally.

A side note: this means that they physically copy all the memory over when you move a pokémon, instead of switching pointers. A game that switched pointers would be harder to shark (take an extra week, maybe? or at least a few extra hours...)

------------------
-cfalcon

"We research pokémon cards here at the Science Club, especially science pokémon cards! Science pokémon are exceedingly strong."
-Erik, Science Club member, Pokémon Trading Card Game

Karpe Diem