This is topic You want some beef? The Pokemon Movie... in forum Complaints Dept. at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000012

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-25-2000, 06:26 PM:

SUCKED! Glowing tears of life? LAME!!! I saw the Japanese version, too, and it still blew! Couldn't they just have had Ash blow up and stay dead or something instead of being brought back to flesh? And Mew's voice was changed. Why did they change it? It already says Mew! I think we all became a little dumber from watching that movie. If the next ones to out are twice as good as this one, they'll still suck!

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by Slo Migs (Member # 110) on 03-25-2000, 07:22 PM:

Yeah I gotta agree. The movie just did not live up to the anime. It seemed like one long, boring episode with no real battles. I mean, the lame plot, I can forgive, but you barely saw any pokemon using their powers. They all just stood around and head butted each other. Then we have the reiteration of the "Fighting is bad" moral three times. However, I think the worst part of the movie was the lack of involvement by Brock, Misty and Team Rocket. They just sorta stood around while Ash played the martyr/hero. I mreally hope the next one is better. I mean, being successful is no reason for being lazy. Oh...and is it just me or did those transitional scenes in Pikachu's vacation freak anyone else out?

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's just fun"

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 03-25-2000, 07:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Slo Migs:
Oh...and is it just me or did those transitional scenes in Pikachu's vacation freak anyone else out

I thought those were the best part of the movie.

Anyway, I thought there were a few really good scenes and the part right before the end was very cool, but the actual ending sucked and the whole thing was fairly disappointing overall.

Still, I know where I'll be July 21...

------------------
KOFFING!
Azure Heights Pokémon Laboratory

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-25-2000, 07:59 PM:

In the original Japanese movie, there was no translations. The stupid American producers felt small child were too simple to follow the plot with no talking.
And that thing at the end about Cubone being the Lonely type pokemon: He's the lonely type because he watched team rocket brutally murder its mother and wears its skull! That can't be emotionally healthy ^_^

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by Wizzymoto (Member # 60) on 03-25-2000, 11:12 PM:

Wouldn't those idiots know they were missing a day of their life at the end. Why didn't M2 just take over all their minds to make them give him their pokes

------------------
"I thought you said you were gonna watch a video"
"We did, an video on how to make your own sausge"

Posted by MewtwoSama (Member # 12) on 03-26-2000, 12:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Wizzymoto:
Wouldn't those idiots know they were missing a day of their life at the end. Why didn't M2 just take over all their minds to make them give him their pokes

Mewtwo isnt Evil, its just bent on revenge.
At least in the Japanese subbed version i saw.

I still havent caved in and seen the US version yet.

------------------
MewtwoSama
A viscous,Psychic Pokemon that was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments. It's DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, it's size and disposition are vastly different. It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemies.

AIM: MewtwoSama
E-mail: mewtwo@ureach.com

Posted by Slo Migs (Member # 110) on 03-26-2000, 04:10 AM:

Those transitional scenes might be cool to watch on some really strong Acid or something.

What's happening on July 21? Is that when the next movie comes out? Oh I'll be watching it for sure. The way I see it, the quality of the movies can only go up.

I wonder if Brock will be in the next one. I really hate Tracy.

And why did we not see Team Rocket's pokemon in TFM?! Didn't Mewtwo want a couple Weezing and Arbok clones?!

------------------

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-26-2000, 06:53 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by MewtwoSama:
Mewtwo isnt Evil, its just bent on revenge.
At least in the Japanese subbed version i saw.

I still havent caved in and seen the US version yet.

And lets hope none of us have to.

quote:
I wonder if Brock will be in the next one. I really hate Tracy.

I sure hope that that loser isn't, but he probably will.

quote:
And why did we not see Team Rocket's pokemon in TFM?! Didn't Mewtwo want a couple Weezing and Arbok clones?!

Mewtwo didn't want to clone losers

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by cfalcon (Member # 19) on 03-26-2000, 02:43 PM:

Is there a Japanese version with English subtitles or something (not the theatre version)? I hoped something like this existed, but you guys say it is also bad?

Simply put, I couldn't accept the nonsense coming from the characters mouths at the end of the movie. "We're all the same regardless of our origins" is certainly NOT a popular theme in Japan, and I didn't appreciate the "don't be Xist" in my pokémon movie. I'm sorry, it was stupid.

I *loved* the first few minutes with Mewtwo, however. I like the fact that the movie draws a distinction between the other pokémon (some have human intelligence, but none have human awareness) and Mewtwo (cursed with all of the questions the plague humanity without a society to smooth things over). I liked that all of his problems were based on him basically being a human inside a (extremely powerful) monster's body.

That was very cool.

Then it was downhill.

-cfalcon

------------------

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-26-2000, 03:18 PM:

The version I saw was a 'Fan Sub'. You can't find them at most places.

At the end of the movie, they really didn't say all of that stupid stuff.

The begining of the original version was kind of annoying. Mewtwo just said 'Who am I? What am I?' eighty times. Ugh...

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 03-27-2000, 12:03 AM:

I found the movie to be largely boring, but the part I really hated was the reject-cliche-from-Star-Trek "Let's erase everyone's memories, thus making the entire movie pointless!" Yeesh, that was awful. Was that in the Japanese version? (I'm guessing that it was.)

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-27-2000, 06:27 AM:

Sadly, yes.
But Mew didn't sound like a two year old child.

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by Volrath50 (Member # 171) on 03-27-2000, 07:55 AM:

The next movie sounds better from what I read... Plus it features Zapdos as an added bonus .... It sounds like it has a plot at least.... Some guy tries to capture the Rare Birds and Lugia comes when they get together, but for some reason when I capture the birds on my gameboy Lugia doesn't come and destroy stuff... Plus the bad guy's eerie music when he captures Moltres is cool....

But the best part is it features Zapdos

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-27-2000, 03:57 PM:

I've read that, too, but I can't figure out that if ALL of the legendary birds are suppose to be in this movie, where's Houou (not that i care)???

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by cfalcon (Member # 19) on 03-27-2000, 08:06 PM:

So let me get this straight:

1- The whole: "pokémon aren't meant for fighting" bit wasn't there? (What are they meant for, Misty? Oh that's, right, marketing...)

2- The ending was better, right?

3- I can't find this legit version ANYWHERE?

4- Mewtwo's speech at the beginning wasn't as good?

Did I get the gist correctly?

Hey, are there any Evil pokémon in Lugia's whatever that comes out in July?

-cfalcon

------------------

Posted by Walrus Lugia (Member # 145) on 03-27-2000, 10:01 PM:

Whell, in Revelation Lugia, the Legendary birds try to kill eachother and lugia to rule the world (egsample, if Articuno won, the earth would be covered by ice and snow) and this movie is cool (my oponion, ASH JUMPS OFF A CLIFF and lives )
Now Mewtwo, the battles were cool but, HEALING TEARS??????? HAHA!

------------------
May the walrus be with you.

A amazing creature, the one of a kind, Walrus Lugia lives deep underwater around Alaska, somtimes refered as the ultimate Pokemon!

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-28-2000, 06:33 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by cfalcon:
So let me get this straight:

1- The whole: "pokémon aren't meant for fighting" bit wasn't there? (What are they meant for, Misty? Oh that's, right, marketing...)

2- The ending was better, right?

3- I can't find this legit version ANYWHERE?

4- Mewtwo's speech at the beginning wasn't as good?

Did I get the gist correctly?

Hey, are there any Evil pokémon in Lugia's whatever that comes out in July?

-cfalcon

1) I don't know about this, in the Japanese one they talked about being the same, and how none were better than the other clone. It was stupid.

2) The end was the same (I guess, Mewtwo and the clones all flew away somewhere), but Team Rocket (hey, remember when they were funny? oh wait, they never were!) didn't say all of that stupid stuff about sand castles, they just said "Feels Good!", which the meaning of this is buried deep in the middle of the movie. (they saw the clones fighting and it reminded them of themselves, and they saw what they truely were, responding with "Feels Bad.")

3) eBay! Someone should be selling it.

4) Unless he said "Who am I? What am I?" a whole lot of times, then it wasn't. He said other stuff, but rarely (and this was about 15 minutes)

PS- Did it have Mewtwo slaughter all of the scientist at the lab where he was created and blow up the laboratory and TR HQ?

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 03-29-2000, 05:40 AM:

The dub didn't actually show Mewtwo killing the scientists, but the implication was definitely still there.

Hey, I like the way Mew sounded in the dub. (It was just born, after all...)

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 03-29-2000, 06:29 AM:

Did it have Charizard biting the clone charizard? (and blood gushed from its neck)

To White Cat: If you heard the original, you wouldn't think that.

Wait, Just born? Mew's ancient!

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by cfalcon (Member # 19) on 03-29-2000, 08:39 PM:

Mew just happened to wake up, I thought...

------------------

Posted by Dark Jaguar (Member # 187) on 03-30-2000, 02:00 AM:

The species of Mew is ancient, not nessesarily that one Mew. I liked the movie myself, the tears reviving was fine. The only thing I didn't like was the memory wipe.

------------------
Welcome to DJ Inc., where everything is JUST fine.

Posted by Slo Migs (Member # 110) on 03-30-2000, 04:00 AM:

I have the DVD version of the Pokemon Movie and I watched it with the Producer's commentary audio track. A lot of it was really interesting.

The added narrator in the English version of Pikachu's vacation was there because they didn't think parents would understand what was going on since pokemon can only communicate by saying their names over and over.

The added "fighting is bad" moral was there because they didn't want parents to think that pokemon was a bad influence on their kids.

The "legend of the storm" speech made by the harbor master was new to the American version. It was used to foreshadow and explain what happened at the ending. I guess even THEY thought that the healing tears were hard to believe.

Finally, they added MewTwo psychically blocking the pokemon's powers during the last fight because the Japanese animators had the pokemon fistfighting for no reason. They were expecting a great fight that showed off all the pokemon's powers but when they saw that it was just a big brawl, they felt that they had to explain it somehow.

So basically, I think the movie got screwed because the guys over in Japan were lazy and the guys Stateside were trying to cater to the parents. I'm almost positive that the next one will be better though. I doubt they'd tailor the movie around parents again, since most would have already seen the first movie.

Damn this is a long post. One last note. The Stateside director of the movie (and all of the TV shows for that matter) did the voices of Psyduck and Charmander

------------------

Posted by Psybro (Member # 290) on 04-18-2000, 05:21 PM:

The Japanese one had Charizard drawing blood from the clone and Mewtwo killing the scientists on-screen? I wanna see that!
Further dumb-ass mistakes: 1)One of the trainers flies to New Island on a Pidgeot. He later refers to it as Pidgeotto.
2)As they watch the cloning process, Team Rocket call Scyther 'Alakazam'. But then, they are supposed to be dumb.

------------------
"Life is like a game of Pokémon; you spend hours preparing everything, only to be beaten by a ten-year-old"

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-18-2000, 08:40 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Psybro:
2)As they watch the cloning process, Team Rocket call Scyther 'Alakazam'. But then, they are supposed to be dumb.

I haven't watched the whole DVD commentary (I went right to the Wigglytuff part), but apparently the sound editor's (or someone like that) caught the error. They said Team Rocket wasn't all that smart, and that it was something fun for the kids to catch, but did admit that it mostly because they were just too lazy to re-tape.

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 04-18-2000, 09:11 PM:

The dubbers always seem to get lazy. How many times in the anime has that happened?
Firespin is called Ember (Crystal Onix episode)
Growlithe was called Arcanine (somewhere during the pokemon League by a Jenny)

The only reason is they suck. Really, really bad.

------------------
Your avian friend,
-Jackdaw

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-18-2000, 09:26 PM:

Well, it's true that they don't do a thorough job of dubbing and it's often obvious that certain moves are being incorrectly identified.

I've seen about 4 versions of "Double Team" but only Tracey's Scyther really Double Teamed.

But they certainly don't suck much more than other cartoons...and what it boils down to is, it's a kid's show. So...

1. They don't put as much care into things as they ought to, because they think they don't need to.

2. They aren't getting top quality writers/directors/actors.

3. They probably aren't being funded as well as they should be either.

We kinda have to keep everything in perspective...sucking is relative.

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 04-19-2000, 06:34 AM:

Yeah, I guess your right.
But they could still try a little harder.

------------------
"I must go to the store for butter and cheese." -Zorak

-Your grey plumed friend.

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-19-2000, 09:34 AM:

Growlithe was called Arcanine (somewhere during the pokemon League by a Jenny)

And in that movie-making episode, the guy had a statue of an Arcanine and they called it a "Golden Growlithe" (although I didn't mind that, since it makes a nice parody/alliteration).

I've seen about 4 versions of "Double Team" but only Tracey's Scyther really Double Teamed.

So Jeanette's did what then? Substitute? I don't remember what Tracey's did, and the only other "DT" I can recall is Brock's Zubat. What other versions have we seen?

Posted by Dark Jaguar (Member # 187) on 04-19-2000, 10:52 AM:

Whenever two Pokémon team up, it is called a double team, oh well it kinda wouold be nice to do that kind of double team in the game, but then it just isn't Pokémon.

------------------

Posted by Volrath50 (Member # 171) on 04-19-2000, 12:36 PM:

What are the odds of Mew/A Mew just waking up and flying to New Island? And WTF is up with the Island being called "New Island"?

When the game first came out my friend and I found the Double Team TM and are like "WOW!!! Now TWO of our Pok-uh-mon can fight at the same time..... " We use it.... "[Pokémon's Name]'s EVADE rose..... That sucks....." And we went over it with some crappy technique like Solarbeam.... And now.... I use DT on half my Pokémon.....

------------------
"Mew!"
Our friend, Mewtwo

Posted by Wizzymoto (Member # 60) on 04-19-2000, 01:55 PM:

NEw island?? I thought is was called MEW island, oh well

------------------
"The purpose of life is not to try to get to Heaven, but to realize that the way IS heaven"

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-19-2000, 05:46 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
But they could still try a little harder.

Oh, certainly. And if they took more pride in their work, they would have. But it's clear that they don't, which is a real shame.

No matter how "childish" the project you're working on is, it should be your duty to do the best possible job. If you don't take it seriously (no matter how silly it is), you shouldn't be doing it, because there are people out there who will take it seriously and you're going to offend them.

However, those people only make up a small amount of the audience, so it's hardly worth it for the producers (money guys) to care, and without their support, you'll never get the cash to, for example, re-tape a bad line.

It all boils down to creating a product for the mass market, which always decreases quality.

As I always say, capitalism encourages mediocrity.

The only time you ever get a superlative product is when some mad genius doesn't listen to the experts (or is so mad that they give him space) and creates something great for himself.

Someone like Walt Disney was capable of that. He's dead, now we have Michael Eisner, and now Disney quality is in the toilet, because the aim is to market to the masses, not do the best that can possibly be done...

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-19-2000, 05:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by White Cat:
So Jeanette's did what then? Substitute? I don't remember what Tracey's did, and the only other "DT" I can recall is Brock's Zubat. What other versions have we seen?

I don't know who Jeanette is. I'm just talking about that I saw.

Usually you'd see a couple guys team up, or some other effect, some of which looked like other moves. The Scyther duplicated himself a few times so you couldn't tell which one was really him, and that's the only one that made sense, based on the GB animation.

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by ScytherAdo (Member # 305) on 04-19-2000, 09:32 PM:

Yes I agree the movie was the biggest wast of $6.25 I have ever seen but you do have to admit the seen when the two Psyducks were smacking each other was pretty funny and also when Charizard got his big head stuck in that hole. Those were highlights for me.

------------------

quote:
My Name Is Tom Ado--Ash

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-19-2000, 09:43 PM:

I think the movie had a number of good parts.

The bit with Pikachu being chased down by the evil Pokeballs was really good. If the whole movie was half as good as that scene, I wouldn't have complained at all.

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by Fish (Member # 267) on 04-19-2000, 09:53 PM:

Basically, they just made it quick cause it was going to make a bunch of money anyway.
Of course, now I am frightened to see the next one, even though I will out of a sense of duty.

------------------

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-19-2000, 11:42 PM:

I don't know who Jeanette is. I'm just talking about that I saw.

Usually you'd see a couple guys team up, or some other effect, some of which looked like other moves. The Scyther duplicated himself a few times so you couldn't tell which one was really him, and that's the only one that made sense, based on the GB animation.

Okay, that's what Jeanette's did too (from "The Fourth Round Rumble"). Of course, that same episode feature Bulbasaur beating Scyther and Beedrill, who its attacks are double-weak to!

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-20-2000, 01:10 AM:

Oh, don't get me started on how many times I've seen pull out the exact worst Pokemon of his lot, only to beat a more experienced enemy anyway...

...at least in the Lt. Surge episode he got his ass kicked first, then went back to rethink his strategy...

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by KeroKato (Member # 230) on 04-20-2000, 01:24 PM:

quote:
Okay, that's what Jeanette's did too (from "The Fourth Round Rumble"). Of course, that same episode feature Bulbasaur beating Scyther and Beedrill, who its attacks are double-weak to!

Bulbasaur isn't double weak to Scyther's attacks, it doesn't learn any Bug typed attacks. Bulbasaur, however, wouldn't be able to defeat Strike, seeing as how the only non-Grass move it learns is Tackle. That, and it's a Bulbasaur.
Wow, other trainer's must suck a lot if they lose to something that weak and stupid...

Of which I mean Ash.

------------------
Pikachu is used by anime fan-boys who can't fight. Mewtwo is used by those who just can't fight.
http://come.to/realitysend

Posted by Dark Jaguar (Member # 187) on 04-20-2000, 04:17 PM:

That Pokéball scene (I think those were suppossed to be Master Balls, they always worked) reminded me of those horror movies with the "Tall Man", sorta, none of the balls killed anyone. Also, generally Japan makes products with much higher standards than America, they just have stronger work ethic though I have NO idea why.

------------------

Posted by Magician Type 0 (Member # 293) on 04-20-2000, 07:39 PM:

The Pokemon movie did NOT suck, dammit! It was exciting! It was surprisingly poingent (sp?), especially for a cartoon.

------------------
"Dance, Dance, Dance" --Casey "Magician Type 0" Morris (me), the man who trained with the help of Caos2.

quote:
From the Simpsons:
Homer: My ears are burning
Marge: Oh, Homer!
Homer: No, they're really burning! I wanted to see inside so I lit a Q-tip.
Marge: *Moans*

Email: webmaster@casog.zzn.com

AIM: Casog MT0
ICQ Nick: Mågìçìañ Tÿpé 0®
Number: 45597626
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/4615.html

I'm not insane. I just hear voices. And the aliens are stealing my thoughts.

- Lone Horse of the DTOA (Double Teamers of America)

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 04-20-2000, 08:42 PM:

... you gotta be kidding me.

------------------
"I must go to the store to buy butter and cheese." -Zorak

Posted by PokeMaster Tony (Member # 304) on 04-22-2000, 01:37 PM:

Man, I would have to break out the person sitting next to me's toes just to count all the mistakes made in that movie. Just to name a few:

1.) Meowth called Sandslash, Sandshrew.
2.) Two actual animation flaws made by Japanese animators:
a.) When that kid in the red shirt first flew off on his Pidgeot, and after the harbor manager made her speach about them being Pokemon Masters, the scene changed and the boy in the red shirt at the top right corner of the screen is seen riding a Fearow!
b.) In the begining of Pikachu's Vacation, Psyduck can clearly be seen stepping over Pikachu's back, but when the camera moved to focus on Togepi, Psyduck was there with them.
3.) In the beginning of Mewtwo Strikes Back, when Ash fights that Pirate looking dude, his Machamp surfaces from the pokeball twice. They go from foot to head, and then cut back down to foot and go back to head.

That's all I can think of right now, but overall, I was pretty pleased with the movie. Not as much as I would have liked to have been, but the movie was alright. The second movie promises to be incredible, even though Tracy will be in it instead of Brock.

------------------
Training Pokemon Since Late 1998. :)

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 04-22-2000, 05:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. K:
As I always say, capitalism encourages mediocrity.

I thought communism encouraged mediocrity.

Besides, it's not capitalism itself; it's success brought about by the exploitation of capitalism that encourages mediocrity. Along with trademarks and monopolies.

------------------
(the only) Official Member of the Release Your Legendary Pokémon Club

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 04-24-2000, 01:14 AM:

The encouragment of mediocrity is an inherent quality of capitalism.

What's the goal? To maximize profits.

It's not to maximize quality.

You don't make the most money by making a superlative product, you make the most money by making a product just a little better and/or just a little cheaper than the competition. Or one with better hype.

There's no point in making something of superlative quality, since you can make a lot more money by making something krappier, and the masses don't demand superlative quality.

If they sat on the movie until everything was just perfect, they'd lose money and only psycho fans and the makers of the movie would care.

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-24-2000, 02:54 AM:

I never really come to this board (hey, i'm a vegatarian ^_^) but I wanted to point out a couple of things from some of the early posts on this thread. Please pardon me if someone else pointed these out, and I just missed them reading through all of the posts.

1) Mew's Japanese voice was in fact carried over to the English version. So was Dragonites, for anyone wondering.

2) In revelation Lugia, when Ash jumps off of the cliff after Pikachu, and Tracey prevents Misty from following...that scene was cut from the movie. It didn't make it to the final version, with a couple of other scenes (I think one of Ash's mother from one of the Japanese trailers didn't make it either, and I'm sure that there was at least *one* more cut scene).

--Meowth346

------------------
PokéResearcher in charge of Pokémon Forever
found via http://anime.at/pokefor

[This message has been edited by Meowth346 (edited 04-24-2000).]

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 04-24-2000, 05:33 PM:

Sorry, but mew's voice changed from Japan to US. In the states, it sounds like a 3 yr old child or something, while in Japan, its this soft kawaii sound that can barely be heard.

------------------

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 04-25-2000, 06:44 AM:

Bulbasaur isn't double weak to Scyther's attacks, it doesn't learn any Bug typed attacks.

No, I said that Bulbasaur's (Grass) attacks are doubly-weak to Beedrill and Scyther (i.e. they will do 1/4 damage). I didn't mean that both opponents' attack would do quad-damage to Bulbasaur (although Beedrill's will).

Meowth, do you mean that the jumping-off-cliff scene was in the Japanese version but cut from the English version, or that it was in the Japanese trailers but not in any release of the movie?

If the former, why would they do that? The exact same thing happened in the first movie (except it was a big circular ramp, not a cliff). And how do you know this, since the English version is still three months from release?

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-25-2000, 03:34 PM:

quote:
Meowth, do you mean that the jumping-off-cliff scene was in the Japanese version but cut from the English version, or that it was in the Japanese trailers but not in any release of the movie?

Everyone keeping in mind that someone mentioned that this happened in Revelation Lugia:

In Rev. Lugia's trailers, there was a sceen where Satoshi(Ash) jumps off of a cliff, shouting "Pikachuuuu!" Kasumi(Misty) cries out "Satoshi!"* moving forward, and Kenji(Tracey) grabs her shoulder, saying "Kasumi!"

This was on a movie trailer that I have on video.

Now, the movie came out in theatres, (I have a poorly bootlegged copy, and recently got an official copy), and that whole scene described above was kept out of the Japanese version of the movie. There were a bit more...I don't remember if Team Rocket being thrown into the air when Lugia burst out from the iced over ocean below then was kept in or not.

*Kasumi may not have said, "Satoshi!", I'd have to check on that.

--Meowth346

------------------

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-25-2000, 03:35 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackdaw:
Sorry, but mew's voice changed from Japan to US. In the states, it sounds like a 3 yr old child or something, while in Japan, its this soft kawaii sound that can barely be heard.

Well, then it's a similar voice to Japanese, as I hear them back to back and they sound the same to me. Maybe I'll check the Japanese credit's for Mew's VA's name.

--Meowth346

------------------

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 04-25-2000, 03:54 PM:

In addition, if Mew's voices are different, then the English voice acter did a GREAT job on timing. For example, tak ethe Japanese and English versions on tape, and on both fast forward to where Meowth translates what Mew is saying. Now, rewind to right after Mewtwo talks. listen to one after the other, or have you two VCRs and two TVs like me, at the same time. In both, Mew says "Mew, Mew Mew Mew, Mew Mew". if you listen to/watch both at the same time, theu're said at the same times, not a second off.

The English voice may have been edited to have a slightly higher pitch, though.

Well, that's my say on the Mew matter. Haven't checked the credits yet, though.

------------------

Posted by Vaporeon of the mist on 05-03-2000, 01:21 PM:

I own the subtittled Jap tape, and it rocked about 58 billion more times then the USA one. In fact, just about EVERY thing from Japan rocks! They have Pikachu toast, yum! I want to go to japan. I got the tape on ebay if ya want to know. Oh, and i think the guy on the fearow was a diffrent person who didnt make it, since the storm WAS a test.

------------------
Articuno, hear my cry

"The Mist calls to me, I must respond. Must protect the secrets of the Pokemon world untill the right time comes for them to be known...." VOTM
"You are an Idiot, Ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!" A game from Newgrounds
"If Ash keeps giving away his strongest pokemon, he wont have any left strong enough to withstand a hit from a Magikarp...or somthing." My friend Eric

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 05-03-2000, 03:50 PM:

Was the tape you bought developed from "Project Pikachu" or "The Pikachu Project"?

------------------

Posted by Scyther7164 (Member # 382) on 05-09-2000, 05:24 PM:

What's your problem? The movie was great. .

------------------
"No parties, no shindigs, no hootenannies, no box socials." -Marge Simpson

Visit The Simpsons.com.

Posted by Precious Roy (Member # 359) on 05-11-2000, 09:24 PM:

Dammnit, I thought this movie was going to be cool. But then they throw in this "no-violence" crappola and "tears of life." How banal. And no stupid jokes or bad puns from Team Rocket! I want my money back.

Dammnit, I doubt Pokémon will ever be able to surpass GI Joe as the best animated series ever, or GI Joe the Movie for best animated movie ever.

------------------
No fair grabbing doink and balls!

Posted by Jackdaw (Member # 118) on 05-12-2000, 06:11 AM:

Wow, someone else here has seen the GI Joe Movie.

I don't know how Scyther-what-ever could even attempt to defend this movie. I just hope the next ones are better. Of course, the Dubbers will probably give Yadoking a hill billy's voice like usual (Watch out, it's voice actor is Lisa Oritz. Ahhh! The terror!)
A spoiler for the last pokemon movie was here, but someone wanted it removed. I'm a nice guy, so I removed it for the price of his immortal soul! I'll be expecting in two to five weeks.
(joking, don't go all 'he's a satanic worshipper' on me)
------------------
Oo, waffles! -Lisa

[This message has been edited by Jackdaw (edited 05-15-2000).]

Posted by Dujava (Member # 412) on 05-12-2000, 02:45 PM:

I don't think that interview ever happened, actually. I wish Yadoking(is Slowking official yet?) could have a Scottish accent, I think that would be funnier than the mentally-impaired speech it has. Sloooooowwbroooo... *plop*

------------------
Writer of Big Stupidity and Good Shi+!
Writer of the Dujava Chronicles.
Certified lover of Shigeru, Eevee, and Dugtrio.
ach-tee-tee-pee-colon-slash-slash-dujava-dot-tripod-dot-com-slash

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 05-15-2000, 05:16 AM:

Could someone remove the spoiler from Jackdraw's last post, please?

(It is done. Thank you.)

[This message has been edited by White Cat (edited 05-16-2000).]

Posted by Crimzonite (Member # 307) on 05-15-2000, 04:17 PM:

Like many anime dubs, the original is better. I have very little complains about the series, but myself and I lot of people argee that when it comes to the movie, the original is better. It's not the best anime movie in the world, but the dub doesn't do it any justice.

Yadoking in Revelation Lugia reminds me of Mr.Poppo on Dragonball/Z/GT. Maybe they'll use his dub VA? ;p

------------------

Posted by Mr. K (Member # 2) on 05-15-2000, 07:34 PM:

quote:
Could someone remove the spoiler from Jackdraw's last post, please?

I would, but I don't want to read it either!

Maybe he'll do it himself?

------------------
KOFFING!

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 01-13-2001, 04:05 AM:

If capitalism yields mediocrity, then socialism yields utter suckritude.

(But my true motive for posting was to revive this very cool thread. I think it was the first one in Azure history to be more than one page...)

------------------
"This year, Toronto had a huge garbage problem. But he was re-elected anyway."
-- Jimmy & Seamus O'Toole, Royal Canadian Air Farce

Posted by Crimzonite (Member # 307) on 01-13-2001, 03:27 PM:

As I said before, I saw it fansubbed before I saw it dubbed. Hated the dub. Got the fansub of the second movie and stayed home when the second movie came out officially in the US, and I will do the same for the third and fourth movies.

------------------

Posted by Noddy (Member # 877) on 01-14-2001, 10:56 PM:

I have to say they almost always screw up when dubbing... but they're aiming it at a different group then in Japan.... stupid bratty American children... ^_^

------------------
"Greetings. I would be charmed to play a song for you on my cymbals... in exchange for your IMMORTAL SOUL."

" ...This explains why hookers ask for money instead of M&Ms or caterpillars."

Posted by kelv (Member # 843) on 01-15-2001, 07:17 PM:

How did Pikachu shock Golem? Under normal laws of Pokémon Physics, Golem would have done a simple Dig/Rollout/Rapid Spin and finished off that sucker.

Another dub blooper: Mary's Mareep uses an attack called Star Blast when she was practicing against Pikachu. In other episodes this attack was called Swift.

I can pull out a lot more dub bloopers than this, but you people could care less.

------------------
Coming Soon... The Pokémon Hotline Server...

hotline://24.65.195.141

Sneak preview available now!

Posted by BigCheese (Member # 1479) on 01-30-2001, 05:31 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by kelv:
How did Pikachu shock Golem? Under normal laws of Pokémon Physics, Golem would have done a simple Dig/Rollout/Rapid Spin and finished off that sucker.

You know that in the show Victreebel loses to bubble, Onix loses to Skull Bash, Marowak lost to Thundershock, everybody now seems to lose to tackle. It's pretty messed up, but I still like the show. I personally liked both movies

------------------
Blissey/Chansey will hold up their proud tradition of beating two or more Mewtwo's in a row!

Posted by Psybro (Member # 290) on 01-31-2001, 05:08 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by BigCheese:
You know that in the show Victreebel loses to bubble, Onix loses to Skull Bash, Marowak lost to Thundershock, everybody now seems to lose to tackle. It's pretty messed up, but I still like the show. I personally liked both movies

You forgot Arbok and Victreebell losing to a pair of Nidoran!

------------------
"I'm not overly horny.
....now thats cleared up, where's my big box of sex toys gone?"
-Jenova
Owner of Psybro's Pokémon Palace. Not related to the G/S Lord Psybro.

Posted by BigCheese (Member # 1479) on 02-01-2001, 05:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Psybro:

You forgot Arbok and Victreebell losing to a pair of Nidoran!

Oh yeah... to tackle.

I'm sure there are others, but I don't want to list them.

------------------
Blissey/Chansey will hold up their proud tradition of beating two or more Mewtwo's in a row!

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 02-02-2001, 09:41 PM:

quote:
Under normal laws of Pokémon Physics, Golem would have done a simple Dig/Rollout/Rapid Spin and finished off that sucker.

Actually, Rollout/Rapid Spin didn't exist at the time.

------------------
"I don't pretend to have all of life's answers, but I do pretend to be a spaceman."
-Jack Handley

Posted by OrientalNoodle (Member # 616) on 02-22-2001, 07:19 AM:

Oh yeah, Rollout/Rapid Spin DID exist at the time. Or how do you explain the pirate guy's DONPHAN (/me points to the word Donphan) doing Rollout?

PS. If you think that the english dubbers suck, try the Finnish Digimon dubbers... You can't find more suckier dubbers than that. I'll get some sound clips posted soon.

------------------
This is a sig. Do not think as a subliminal message, saying "Give all your money to OrientalNoodle".

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 02-22-2001, 02:08 PM:

What Donphan? What Rollout?

This is the first movie, buddo.

------------------
I see the light... and it hurts my eyes.

Posted by Psybro (Member # 290) on 02-22-2001, 04:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rolken:
What Donphan? What Rollout?

This is the first movie, buddo.

That did happen in the first movie.

[This message has been edited by Psybro (edited 02-22-2001).]

Posted by Animeluver (Member # 1466) on 02-23-2001, 01:31 AM:

Yeah. When Ash was fighting that drunken pirate dude in the beggining. And when Pikachu killed a Golem with an electric attack. >.< Damn non-law-obeying rat.

------------------
Animeluver....Am I a Sludge Bomb yet?....Come on!.... >.<

Posted by ickle (Member # 1454) on 02-23-2001, 03:21 PM:

I've got to buy myself the video of that movie cos at the cinema I couldn't hear a word of it what with all the 8 year olds shouting "Look Mummy, there's Pikachu!"

------------------
"Philippa Forrester's vagina is 15cm's long." -Quote from a poster in my biology room.

Posted by Psybro (Member # 290) on 02-23-2001, 04:35 PM:

You can't honestly be saying you thought there was worthwhile dialogue?

Posted by OrientalNoodle (Member # 616) on 02-24-2001, 06:04 AM:

Oh yes, it really happened in The First Movie.

In the minifilm, there were Snubbull and Marill. Explain that It was an "introduction" to G/S. Like Togepi in the series (Buah, in Finland Togepi hatched about three weeks ago in the series ).

And the official release for G/S in Finland is Easter... God bless import shops.

------------------
This is a sig. Do not think as a subliminal message, saying "Give all your money to OrientalNoodle".

Posted by articool (Member # 65) on 02-24-2001, 09:22 PM:

quote:

I can pull out a lot more dub bloopers than this, but you people could care less.

I care a lot. I'd love to see what you've got.

------------------
Beware the Evil Rabid Jigglypuff of Doom!
http://www.pokebattles.com
Probability can be a real bitch, but the trick is to make it your bitch.

Posted by Rolken (Member # 7) on 10-03-2001, 10:11 AM:

I liked the third movie.

Posted by BigCheese (Member # 1479) on 10-07-2001, 12:49 PM:

This topics about a year and a half old! O_O

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: BigCheese ]

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 10-07-2001, 03:34 PM:

Well at least you can all see how great Azure Heights used to be. I feel that I am going to like the 5th movie more than the 4th movie, even though I haven't seen either of em.

Oh, and, I have some, I guess you could call them trailers of the 3rd Movie, and ALOT of scenes from there didn't make the movie. Anyone remember the part where lightning flashes and Mewtwo's shadow appears? I mean, what happen? Where did all that go? If you don't know what I'm talking about I could probably upload the trailer somewhere, that or pics from it.

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 10-07-2001, 09:06 PM:

...There's a fifth movie? And how could it possibly be better than anything Celebi stars in?

Uiru's minireviews:

First Movie: Bleh. I bought the DVD along with the other two primarily to have the set, and I haven't watched it yet. This easily could have been great, and it wasn't.

Movie 2000: A pass. Tracy defines his existance in the movie by being there to heckle. The opening scenes are a little retarded but the main bulk of the movie is fairly good. The 'Power of One' theme forced into the movie could have been lost, though.

The Movie 3: AMERICA used POKéMON 3! Uiru's Faith In Pokémon Anime and Dubs In General Greatly Rose!

...I was expecting this movie to be half decent. I wasn't expecting to watch it four times in the first week I owned it. I wasn't expecting to kick myself for not going to see it in theatres. I wasn't expecting to find something that could properly carry the title of the greatest dub job of all time. So, you can tell I got my money's worth. This is not only far and away the greatest Pokémon movie in existance; it is a fantastic example of anime in general. Anyone open minded enough to not immediately think that because it's Pokémon, it has to suck, will most likely enjoy this movie.

Flame me about it. I dare you.
~Uiru

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 10-07-2001, 09:53 PM:

[Ok this is kinda a spoiler so be careful if you don't already know a little about the 4th movie]

You asked an honest question Uiru, so, I'll defend what I said...

First of all, I don't know the entire storyline, but, I kinda got the gist of the 4th movie, one thing is that before the release of the 4th movie in Japan, people (jerks) made UP a bunch of lies (rumors) no, LIES about stuff that didn't happen.

Togepi will evolve to save (Misty/Ash)
CELEBI'S IN the gs BALL!

anyway, there's probably more, but, alot of these lies that sounded really good, didn't happen! And that made the movie less exiciting than the lying jerks made us think it would be...

Anyway, at the end of the 4th movie in Japan they say somethin like Pikachu Project 2002, or somethin like that, either way implying a 5th movie. And, although this is also liable to just be pure speculation, who could be left to do a movie about...

Houou! And I'm totally psyched (well maybe just excited) about that. And, Raikou could probably co-star. Now, the following is once again unconfirmed (probably lying crap, but I'll say it anyway)...

"Team Rocket tries to steal Houou or somethin about Houou and the end of the world somethin like that"

Now, I personally think Houou kicks ass, and deserves his own movie. I'm hoping that the G/S Ball mystery will be explained in the 5th movie. Unlike many thought, the 4th movie does NOT envolve the G/S BALL AT ALL! There is no mention of it, not even in the intro. So, Celebi and the G/S Ball may actually have no Anime Connection, I'm hoping the 5th movie ties up the G/S Ball lose ends, and, maybe it is tied to Houou, or atleast some cool destructive force...

Posted by Uiru (Member # 437) on 10-07-2001, 10:12 PM:

You mean Celebi actually isn't in it? Heh! I was pissed off when I heard that, like, years ago...
~Uiru

Karpe Diem