This is topic Pokemon types? What is Spc. atk and what is Atk? in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001437

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM:

OK this is what I know so far.

Bug type = Atk
Fighting = Atk
Rock type = Atk
Dragon type = Atk
Steel type = Atk
Poison type = Atk
Flying = Atk
Ground = Atk
Normal/colorless = atk

Ice = Spc Atk
Water = Spc. atk
Psycic = Spc. Atk
Fire = Spc. Atk
Thunder = Spc. Atk

What are Dark type, Grass type, Ghost type, and any other type I missed? I want to build the right Ev's for the rigth types, anyone help? [Smile] Ty

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-12-2005, 02:13 PM:

Physical: Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, and Steel.

Physical means it uses Attack and Defense.

Special: Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Dragon, and Dark.

Special means it uses Special Attack and Special Defense.

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-12-2005, 02:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Porygone:
Physical: Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, and Steel.

Physical means it uses Attack and Defense.

Special: Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Dragon, and Dark.

Special means it uses Special Attack and Special Defense.

Ok I had Dragon and Ghost figured wrong, and Dark I was never sure of.

Question #2 Pokemon like Houndoom, Meowth, Gyrados, Shark, all have Dark type moves Bite or Crunch, but their Physical attacks are their best stat, in meowths case spd, this defies the purpose of raising a Drk pokemon, or pokemon with drk type moves, is there any pokemon that can benefit from these special attack moves such as dragontie with a considerable amount of attk power? Im looking for a pokemon that can use the abilities with it's full potentional and not be wasted by a wrong stat. Any suggestions?

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-12-2005, 04:08 PM:

It depends on stats.

Take Sneasel for example. Ice and Dark are special types. But it has no business using special attacks. Period.

Then there are some Pokemon that can use both physical and special moves well. Camerupt springs to mind as one. It has high Attack and Special Attack, and will often carry physical attacks (Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion, etc.) and special attacks (Overheat, for example).

And it's not uncommon for Dragonite to use both physical AND special attacks. Tyranitar can also do this, with devastating results.

When choosing moves, it's good to get STAB, but the stats are what's most important.

Also, Houndoom's Special Attack > Attack.

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM:

quote:
It depends on stats.

Take Sneasel for example. Ice and Dark are special types. But it has no business using special attacks. Period.

Then there are some Pokemon that can use both physical and special moves well. Camerupt springs to mind as one. It has high Attack and Special Attack, and will often carry physical attacks (Rock Slide, Earthquake, Explosion, etc.) and special attacks (Overheat, for example).

And it's not uncommon for Dragonite to use both physical AND special attacks. Tyranitar can also do this, with devastating results.

When choosing moves, it's good to get STAB, but the stats are what's most important.

Also, Houndoom's Special Attack > Attack.

Well I wanted to make a Psycic killer, everything I can think of besides bug or bug poison doesn't benefit bite or crunch. Theres no way Meowth/Persian will do any harm with bite.

Im playing Leaf green, im just heading to rock tunnel now, and as far as I know I haven't ran into the other 200 pokemon. Im not sure if Umbreon is available, probably the closest to coming with the benefit toward dark type moves.

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-12-2005, 05:24 PM:

You can't get Umbreon in Fire Red or Leaf Green. No internal clock.

And Umbreon doesn't really benefit from Dark moves at all. It's much better with Mean Look/Baton pass combo.

A good Psychic killer...

Tyranitar is one. Houndoom works well. Blissey has high Special Defense and HP. etc.

Posted by Bugcatcher Ed (Member # 3289) on 05-12-2005, 06:13 PM:

We're talking in-game, right? I like to confuse/screech and bite with umbreons, if the the opposing pokemon is slower. Or can be made slower [Wink] . Wouldn't recommend this in a link battle, except as an inducment to the opponent to switch out.

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-14-2005, 03:02 AM:

Well I could always use Alakazam with

Confusion
Psybeam
Psycic
thief

With his high SPc. attack having modest personality, Drk type moves would hurt badly.

Can you get Tyrinitar in Green? How far does the remake go?

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-14-2005, 10:31 AM:

The remake goes as far as the Red/Blue/Yellow did.

The remakes also have several islands where a big quest will take place, however. These islands contain Johto Pokemon. Larvitar is one of them.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 05-14-2005, 02:23 PM:

Yeah, you can get Tyranitar via Larvitar through Leaf Green...

Me, I snagged a Tyrantiar in Colloseum...

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-14-2005, 02:45 PM:

I got an Adamant Tyranitar.

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-17-2005, 02:24 AM:

im just thinking of a nice Sabrina match up [Razz] I want to waist her Phsycic pokemon so bad. Still in shock about Dragon type being Special attack, damn it's pretty odd, but makes Kindgra quite useful.

The legendary birds are back right? Articuno? [Razz] Get a Modest one of those that would be nice hehe.

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-17-2005, 02:21 PM:

Dragon being Special makes some sense.

You'll have to remember that in Asia, dragons are more mystical creatures. More spirits than they are animals.

Posted by TeamArticuno (Member # 3797) on 05-17-2005, 07:56 PM:

Yeah makes sense, sorry for the typo on "Psycic". If Kingdra exists in here I think ill go with Kingdra. Not sure what to expect thus far other than being able to pick up mew two. If dragon scale is available hmmm..

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-18-2005, 12:12 AM:

Kingdra exists in this game.

And it also makes a decent physical fighter with the right moves.

<3 Dragon Dance.

Posted by Turbo X (Member # 1808) on 05-18-2005, 06:48 PM:

quote:
Dragon being Special makes some sense.

You'll have to remember that in Asia, dragons are more mystical creatures. More spirits than they are animals.

Doesn't the Komodo Dragon live in Asia, however? [Razz]

Posted by Porygone (Member # 805) on 05-18-2005, 06:51 PM:

Everyone knows that Komodo dragons are really Poison -types, though.

Posted by Bugcatcher Ed (Member # 3289) on 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM:

Close, but, like shrews, Komodo dragons are normal poison type.

Karpe Diem