This is topic Did you notice in Pokemon Contests? in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001373

Posted by Pokewaterking (Member # 3509) on 10-01-2003, 12:37 AM:

ok heres the thing, Barboroach uses Water Sport and some how gets a combo out of it using it first. What I read about it was that it was just a high appealing move. So then I pick up a Barboroach and do the same thing and there was no combo. I was in the same position as the other was.

I also notice some pokemon get extra hearts for takedown under combo even when it is not a tough contest.

My question is, is the game cheating or am I missing something?

Posted by 137 (Member # 1465) on 10-01-2003, 01:19 AM:

I don't pay a lot of attention to contests just yet, but if I understand correctly:
Certain moves used after other certain moves will get a combo bonus. Like, if you use Rain Dance, then Surf, you'll get a combo bonus. The combo system is independent of the type of move's relation to the type of contest.
The official nintendo guide has a list of combo moves on the back page. I haven't seen a similar list online, but I haven't looked everywhere or paid any attention to contests.

Posted by Bugcatcher Ed (Member # 3289) on 10-01-2003, 04:28 PM:

That's correct. When you use a move that is the first part of a combo, the judge "looks at you expectantly". If you use the second part on the next turn, you get extra hearts. According to Gamefaqs (http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/pokemon_rs_contest.txt), watersport is a combo with mudsport, watergun, and refresh.

Note that the judge awards the extra points for the combo. The judge doesn't care if the type matches the contest type. The audience gives points for using the same type, and takes them away for using either of the two incompatible types.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Pokewaterking (Member # 3509) on 10-02-2003, 01:31 AM:

Thanks guys I had no idea I could that! Probably the pokemon which was Poochyena in first position that used taketown and got the combo bonus did some other move that went with it before.

Thanks again guys i'll check out the webiste you brought up!

Karpe Diem