This is topic GSC question as transferred from an RBY question in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001022

Posted by Mick_Hale (Member # 419) on 09-03-2001, 01:09 AM:

In RBY, you cannot use Mega Drain when the opponent has a sub out. In fact, any of the drain life moves don't work. Now, what would happen if the poke behind the sub was asleep and you tried to use Dream Eater? I'd assume it would bounce. Now, to be honest, I can't think of a way that it's possible for a sleeping poke to have a sub out.

This is about where I would like to remind anyone reading that I leave behind any special knowledge of GSC and I haven't even played it or browsed research on it for a very long time.

With Baton Pass, IIRC, you can pass on a substitute (*ducks for cover, hoping I'm right*). What if your opponent BPs to a sleeping poke, and in the process passes a sub? Then would you be able to use Dream Eater, or something like that.

Of course, if I'm completely off track here, just go easy on the flaming.

Posted by Dark_Herakurosu (Member # 1677) on 09-03-2001, 01:40 AM:

quote:
Mick_Hale you're right!

You can pass a sub. Vapoureon can Sub Pass rather well. Anyway, in GSC, a sleeping poke can use Sleep Talk and get Sub that way, so I'm sure you can pass Sub too.

Posted by JohtoMaster (Member # 1023) on 09-03-2001, 08:52 AM:

Couldn't a Pokemon who used Substitute use Rest and then it be possible for a sleeping Pokemon to have a Substitute out?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: JohtoMaster ]

Posted by White Cat (Member # 42) on 09-04-2001, 12:58 PM:

In RBY, you cannot use Mega Drain when the opponent has a sub out.

I thought that only applies to Stadium?

Now, to be honest, I can't think of a way that it's possible for a sleeping poke to have a sub out.

In RBY Gameboy, sleep moves can hit through Subs.

Posted by Continue (Member # 31) on 09-04-2001, 02:21 PM:

Minimalist way of answering a question asked repeatedly.

Posted by NickWhiz1 (Member # 30) on 09-04-2001, 02:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Continue:
Minimalist way of answering a question asked repeatedly.

Ack!

Continue is imitating poccil!

*gives Continue a low rating*

j/k

Posted by Mick_Hale (Member # 419) on 09-04-2001, 05:38 PM:

The who with the stuff and the whatnow? Let's try this again, in a different form of the question.

In RBY Link Battles, there is a way to, say, Hypnosis your opponent right through the Sub and then suck him dry with Dream Eater. You can also do this with any other life sucking move like that. However, in Stadium, it is completely impossible. You can't get past a sub in Stadium to sleep the opponent or to do those life sucking moves either. And, uhh, JohtoMaster is right... you can sub then Rest.

In GSC Link Battles, what happens? For PokéSta2? How much does the sub block? Does the sub block Sleep moves? Life sucking moves?

Once again, I leave behind any claims of me knowing anything about GSC.

Posted by Continue (Member # 31) on 09-05-2001, 10:02 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mick_Hale:
In GSC Link Battles, what happens? For PokéSta2? How much does the sub block? Does the sub block Sleep moves? Life sucking moves?

Check the above link. While it is poccil-like in that it promotes something that I have done, it does contain, in as permanent a form as the web can get, all of the information on Substitute for G/S/C/Sta2. I just put the link up in hopes of saving myself a few keystrokes now and in the future, but it looks like it didn't work.

As far as the contest to list off all the ways that a sleeping pokemon could end up with a Sub in front of it, there are a couple of ways that aren't listed here yet. They involve one or more of Baton Pass, Metronome, and Sleep Talk, but I not going to bother to list all the possible combinations. They should be easy enough to figure out.

Karpe Diem