This is topic Facts that you may find interesting, disturbing, or both. in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001017

Posted by NickWhiz1 (Member # 30) on 08-28-2001, 09:33 PM:

Here is an interesting little list of damage oddities that might prove to be interesting...

1. One of the most useless Pokemon in the game can beat one of the more popular ones.

Tyranitar vs. Yanma

Yanma uses Endure.
Tyranitar uses Rock Slide (636-747 dmg.) or Ancientpower (511-600 dmg.)

Yanma uses Reversal (489 dmg.)
Tyranitar is out like a sleeping Snorlax.

2. Snorlax can be OHKOed by a special attack. As you've probably guessed, it's from our favorite cajun-style RBY legendary.

Moltres (Charcoal attached) vs. Snorlax

Moltres uses Sunny Day.
Snorlax uses (insert attack here that won't kill Moltres)

Moltres uses Fire Blast, gets a CH! (456-536 dmg.)
Snorlax, with maximum damage, is burned to ashes.

I leave now.

Posted by Dark_Herakurosu (Member # 1677) on 08-28-2001, 09:48 PM:

Bah, I knew the bit about Yanma a long time ago. That part about Flamin Chicken is interesting though. Another reason to have Amnesia on Laxen. Or you could just use Skarmory, which is resistant to most, if not all, of Snorlax popular attacks.

Posted by NickWhiz1 (Member # 30) on 08-28-2001, 10:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Herakurosu:
Bah, I knew the bit about Yanma a long time ago. That part about Flamin Chicken is interesting though. Another reason to have Amnesia on Laxen. Or you could just use Skarmory, which is resistant to most, if not all, of Snorlax popular attacks.

1. I learned about the Yanma thing a couple weeks ago, by accident. I suppose I was bored :/

2. The odds aren't in Moltres's favor, because it would be relying on 85% accuracy, 6.6% chance of CH, and roughly a 10-15% chance of dealing enough damage.

3. Fire Blast has become popular on Snorlax, and it 2HKOs Skarmory in most situations.

Posted by MK (Member # 1445) on 08-28-2001, 10:46 PM:

I know that a lot of you are liable to disagree with me, but, I would not keep/teach Fire Blast to any Pokémon I raised now... I used to use it in the past, but, it's not worth it! The fact that it can miss makes me go with Flamethrower's pretty much ensured accuracy...

-MK

Posted by SDShamshel (Member # 791) on 08-28-2001, 11:42 PM:

Fun fact: Pidgeot is NOT OHKO'd by a max damage Thunderbolt from Zapdos w/o Magnet attached.

Dodrio and Fearow on other hand faint quickly and painfully.

Posted by Manuel Calavera (Member # 1202) on 08-30-2001, 03:41 PM:

Fact - The Battle Tower is twisted. A Shuckle get's OHKO'd by a Fearow's Hyper Beam.

Posted by oporaca (Member # 922) on 09-01-2001, 06:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Herakurosu:
Another reason to have Amnesia on Laxen.

I'm surprised that I'm the first to notice that because it's a CH, Amnesia would have no effect on the damage.

Posted by LanderZRPG (Member # 1615) on 09-01-2001, 10:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by oporaca:

I'm surprised that I'm the first to notice that because it's a CH, Amnesia would have no effect on the damage.

I'm surprised that you never knew that stat changers stay in effect in GS.

Posted by Mu (Member # 28) on 09-02-2001, 05:52 AM:

Actually, they only stay if that is when the highest possible damage would be done.

Karpe Diem