This is topic How is the base damage for Hidden Power rounded? in forum Research Lab at The Azure Heights Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000608

Posted by Automaton (Member # 1234) on 01-04-2001, 10:23 PM:

There are 32 different actual base damage values that Hidden Power can have. Once you arrange your DVs in Atk, Def, Spd, Spl order, and convert all DVs that are 7 and under to 0s and all that are 8 and up 1, you have your binary code for damage. But the same binary damage code on two different pokemon can deviate by a margin of 1.5 as it relates to the actual base damage of the final Hidden Power, because of the Spl DV. The actual equation is;

([X*5+Y]/2)+31=Z

X=Your binary code
Y=Your Special DV; 3 and up equals 3, less than 3 equals that number.

So Y is actually the variable I'm talking about. But binary codes of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, B, D, and F don't have a variable on the value of Y, because they all are ???1 when converted back into binary, and if the Spl DV is 8+, which it would have to be to show up as a 1 in the binary code, than Y in these equations can never be less than 3. So that means that binary codes of 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, A, C, and E can all have three different actual values as related to the actual base damage of the final Hidden Power. Here's an example of a Pokemon with a binary value of E;

9, B, 8, 2

In binary, making any DV that's 7 or less 0, and 8 and up 1, this converts into 1110, or 14, which translates into E in hexidecimal. Now, In the equation;

([14*5+2]/2)+31=67

Now, let's turn that Spcl DV into a 1;

([14*5+1]/2)+31=66.5

The question is, will it be rounded, and if so, to 66, or 67?

------------------
"Well, Hiro, time to probe the bush. Let's get this party started."-Ronfar, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Posted by Meowth346 (Member # 166) on 01-05-2001, 01:09 AM:

Pokemon always cuts off after the decimal point, so it *always* rounds down.

--Meowth346

------------------
Researcher in charge of Pokémon Forever, a compilation of about 1/1000th of my work.

Posted by Automaton (Member # 1234) on 01-05-2001, 01:26 AM:

Thank you. This'll help for a Mechanics FAQ I'm writing.

------------------
"Well, Hiro, time to probe the bush. Let's get this party started."-Ronfar, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Karpe Diem